Huawei S7 Useful Tweaks and Tips

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Hello, I was following your instructions here and I understand all except changing the /system/bin directory, how do I chang it, I've tried multiple file managers and can't figure it out, its saying insufficient permissions. Can anyone help.

The steps for to wpa_supplicant by brach

I used root explorer to do it on mine. When copied the file from my SD card and then went to the system and bin folder and then clicked on Mount R/W at the top which changed it to Mount R/O and then pasted the file over the old one.

Of course I started by coping the original file and moving it to my SD card so I had a back-up if needed.

Hope this helps.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
I used root explorer to do it on mine. When copied the file from my SD card and then went to the system and bin folder and then clicked on Mount R/W at the top which changed it to Mount R/O and then pasted the file over the old one.

Of course I started by coping the original file and moving it to my SD card so I had a back-up if needed.

Hope this helps.

Agreed with this post that is what i did.. I literally did exactly what the instructions stated and it worked.. Don't use just any file manager purchase the root explorer its a few bucks but its a small price to pay to get tethering to work on your tablet imo.

joshb

Dec 28, 2010
Ok, well I'm new to this, I have a droid and I rooted it and that was about all the depth I have in the hacking world. Ok so do I have to have the s7 rooted, and if so will that allow me to change the permissons from read only to r/w?

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Ok, well I'm new to this, I have a droid and I rooted it and that was about all the depth I have in the hacking world. Ok so do I have to have the s7 rooted, and if so will that allow me to change the permissons from read only to r/w?

No you do not need to have your S7 tablet rooted... You just need to download an app from the market called "Root Explorer" that app is a special type of file manager that lets you do more stuff such as permissions then your typical file manager app..

Once you download that app run it and follow the instructions previously posted... when it gets to the part where you need to change the folder to RW on root explorer you will see a button called "RW" which will change that folder to RW instead of jsut read permissions that will allow you to paste the new file in there...

joshb

Dec 28, 2010
Ok, I don't see the rw button on the s7, but I pulled root explorer up on my droid and the button your talking about is there. I have to do those steps on the s7 right, NOT the droid. I made a back up and have the file downloaded on my s7

goodoane

Nov 25, 2010
To be able to see that button you should root your device first and have superuser installed.

joshb

Dec 28, 2010
Thanks to all the ppl thay have been helping me so far. I got s7 rooted and replaced the file in system/bin and rebooted. I tethered my droid and don't see it on the s7, is there something else I have to do?

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
What tethering app are you using on your Droid? I am using Wireless Tether and not having any issues. Been using it off and on for three days now and not one issue. (Droid X)

Last edited:

Ives

Dec 10, 2010
What tethering app are you using on your Droid? I am using Wireless Tether and not having any issues. Been using it off and on for three days now and not one issue. (Droid X)

Hey kev
Where did you get your wpa file from, was it the one from the link in this thread? I had the same problem as josh. I'm using a rooted verizon droid 2 with the current update installed. ( What android os is your droid updated to? I'm going to try again over the long weekend ). Wireless tether installs fine and is broadcasting so i'm sure it's the Hs7 that is the problem . I'll monkey with it some more.

Ives

joshb

Dec 28, 2010
OG droid Android version 2.2.1 build # FRG83D rom is bugless beast 0.6.1 the tethering app is the one that comes with bugless beast, wireless tether. Yea I think ives and I are having same problem, droid will tether but s7 doesent see it, right?

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
I am using the wpa that was linked back in post #53.
I have the Droid X on 2.2.340 and I am running ApeX, which I know he has ported over the the D2 as well.
Before I found this post I was using the 3G Mobile Hotspot where you use Easy Switch to turn of the radio after you start-up the Hotspot and then back on and you can get around the Verizon requirement for a plan to be able to use it and that was working fine as well. I just like Wireless Tether better as it seems a little more reliable so far.

My wife also has a s7 so I may try this on hers tonight as well and see if I can do it a second time with no issues.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
FYI im also running APEX 1.3.1 on the 2.2.340 and i can tether just fine after doing that wpa_supplicant file trick.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Hey kev
Where did you get your wpa file from, was it the one from the link in this thread? I had the same problem as josh. I'm using a rooted verizon droid 2 with the current update installed. ( What android os is your droid updated to? I'm going to try again over the long weekend ). Wireless tether installs fine and is broadcasting so i'm sure it's the Hs7 that is the problem . I'll monkey with it some more.

Ives
I downloaded the wpa file on the link posted on this thread... If you want send me a priv msg and i can email you the file.

Ives

Dec 10, 2010
Hey everyone
Just started from scratch on the tether hack and it worked perfectly. I must of corrupted my wpa_supplicant file when i downloaded it before. Re-downloaded it and everything worked great. thanks for the help on this one. One more reason to keep the S7, great community support in this forum.

Ives