Hulu

Dec 17, 2010
Is there anything I can do to get Hulu.com to work with my rooted Nook Color? I tried changing the browser string in both the standard browser and Dolphin HD but it didn't work.

Is anyone successfully using Hulu with their Nook Color?

MikeTodd

Mar 26, 2011
I understand you need Hulu Plus to play Hulu's content on a tablet. I'm not sure what else is needed.

Dec 17, 2010
Hulu blocks Android devices' access to content.

Does anyone know why? I don't have any problem connecting with my laptop. I'm assuming a Windows tablet would work just as well. Why pick on Android?

Has anyone figured out a way to trick Hulu's servers?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
If you have at least 2.2 you can use playon to stream hulu
It uses your home PC to transfixed the stream on the fly. I can access hulu n Netflix while on the go

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

sholmes

Apr 10, 2011
Is there anything I can do to get Hulu.com to work with my rooted Nook Color? I tried changing the browser string in both the standard browser and Dolphin HD but it didn't work.

Is anyone successfully using Hulu with their Nook Color?

There is a hacked Flash 10.2 that works with the froyo on a Gtablet. I tried it and the video was somewhat jerky. Check it out Flash 10.2 performance and Hulu Hack - xda-developers

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I read today that Hulu is blocking the Playbook, as well.

There are a number of sites doing this, including the tv network sites...seems like it started happening when Google Tv was released without Google having talked with the entertainment industry. In general, Tv/movie content producers and networks are dragging their feet on streaming until they have a model that will get them the most $s. This is frustrating, but not really surprising.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
could be related to DRM issues - that is why we still don't have a netflix for android that streams video

Update: [CM7][HULU] Hulu working in Opera! - xda-developers

0) Make sure you are running the latest flash and opera MOBILE browser (or Dolphin, but instructions are for Opera). This could work for other browsers, but haven't tried it on those.

1) Download the new libflashplayer.so from here.

2) Navigate to /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib, then rename libflashplayer.so to libflashplayer.so.bak

2) Copy this file (make sure it's a .SO format, not .txt, etc) using adb or root explorer here: /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib

3) Change permissions to the same as the previous file:

4) [MAY NOT BE NECESSARY] Open up opera, type "opera:config", and scroll down to "User Agent", change it to a "2" (type makes it appear like a desktop).

5) [NECESSARY] Click on "User Prefs" while still in the opera:config page, and copy and paste one from useragentstring.com into the Custom User-Agent box (about half way down). I'm using this

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/534.25 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/12.0.706.0 Safari/534.25

--------------------------------------

So you can try hulu.com out now (the apk doesn't go fullscreen for me/us?), but it might be laggy. To fix we'll log in and change the default settings for video res. I assume changing this will change it for ALL devices, so I'm using one account for the NC, then another (plus) account for my desktop at home/netbook/etc.

--------------------------------------

6) Log in/create an account.
7) Hover over your name, then click "Settings"
8) Set "Playback Quality:" to 288p. Now save it.
9) Watch some hulu videos!

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
If you reboot your nook then you need to reload the modifed libflashplayer.so as your replacement has been wiped out by a reloading of the original libflashplayer.so file. Adobe gremlins at work! Hulu will again work after the modifed libflashplayer.so is reloaded.

Since everytime your nook is rebooted you need the modified libflashplayer.so file, sideload the modified libflashplayer.so to your sd card. Then use File Expert to copy from the sd card, navigate to /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib, paste the file in this location. Let it overwrite the file. We then use File Expert to change the permissions of the libflashplayer.so file. The two last entries in the middle are the only ones that are off. This can also be used to replace the second step 2) above. The first step 2) of renaming to .bak is not necessary anymore since rebooting accomplishes that.

Note: File Expert has to be set to see the original libflashplayer.so file. You need to do this first so that you will be able to paste the file at the /data/data/com.adobe.flashplayer/lib level. The other steps in the above post do not have to be redone as they stick.

I did this to my Phiremod V6.1 ROM with ALSA installed and new OC 1300 mhz 4/23 kernel. Log into Hulu and under your setting, for playback quality use 288p. With the OC set to 1300, governor interactive, Hulu video playback will look great. There is now a 1200, 1300 OC 4/24 kernel out.

File Expert is an alternative to Root Explorer and is available from the market for free. A great alternative to side loading is using the free program SwiFTP on your nook and a client ftp on your computer.

Last edited:

Rick09

Apr 7, 2011
I've been trying to get this to work for days now. My problem is that when I go to /data its empty. I downloaded File Expert and the only file I see in /data is something related to TiBackup. Any ideas? Do I need Root Explorer ($3.95) from the market? Tried several different file managers, all showing empty data folder.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
I've been trying to get this to work for days now. My problem is that when I go to /data its empty. I downloaded File Expert and the only file I see in /data is something related to TiBackup. Any ideas? Do I need Root Explorer ($3.95) from the market? Tried several different file managers, all showing empty data folder.

Be careful. Use at your own risk. Allowing File Expert to see system folders. File Expert is free. You do not need Root Explorer ($3.95).

The following gives you access to system level information. I would make an Nandroid backup to an sd card from Rom Manager app's Backup Current Rom option before viewing, changing, moving files in this area. You need to have ClockworkMod 3.0.1.0 or higher on your internal partition or on a bootable sd card to recover from this Nandroid backup.

You are looking at the /mnt/sdcard/data directory. The directory is shown in the title bar for the screen. You need to be able to go back to the / directory.

Press the menu button in the nook's notification bar. Select the more option at bottom right of screen to bring up the Operation Dialog. From the list of Operation select Settings. A black list appears on the File Expert screen. Select the File Explorer Settings. Check the Last item Root Explorer.

From the nook's notification bar use the back arrow to return to the blue, grey, and off white directory screen. (You may have to use Back from bottom application status screen to get to the root '/' directory.)

The blue, grey, and off white root directory screen shows folders: acct, cache, config, d, data, dev, and others hidden by a bottom Home, Share, Oper, Search Back application bar.

This is the data folder we want. Select it. Other folders show with another data at the bottom of the list. Select this data folder. Scroll up the list until you see the com.adobe.flashplayer folder. Select it. Select lib folder in it. You will now see the libflashplayer.so file we are talking about.

Copying, Pasting, Overwriting, changing permission is what you do next. Use long press to help you here. If you have problems, post where you are and I will try to help. Larry

Last edited:

Rick09

Apr 7, 2011
Be careful. Use at your own risk. Allowing File Expert to see system folders. File Expert is free. You do not need Root Explorer ($3.95).
Thanks for your post Larry. I ended up purchasing Root Explorer. Made things so much easier. Maybe not necessary but I figured $3.95 to get Hulu working was definitely worth it. Been watching shows on Hulu for the last two days, full screen (288p), and everything has been working perfectly.

Dec 17, 2010
Why would Hulu care if people wanted to use their tablets? How does this hurt them? I can get Hulu on my laptop - it's portable too. The big difference is I can put my Nook Color in my pants pocket - I can't do the same with my laptop.