[Humour] The Huawei Guide on "How To Destroy a Great Product"

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
1. Release a product with huge potential at a competitve price, but don't bother doing any marketing, or sales training, so noone will know how to sell it.
2. Have a web site that does not look very professional, and where the support forum randomly does not work and allow hackers to post as administrators so that noone can tell what is real or not. Make sure that real administrators have very poor English and rarely provide any updates or meanful information.
3. Release a product with so little useable ROM and no capability to install apps anywhere else. For good measure, include an 8G internal card, that is not accessible and mounts to random locations, depending on what other cards are inserted and the current temperature.
4. Promise an update to a more usable version of Android, then fail to deliver the update. Finally, when pressured, release the update somewhere obscure, like Indonesia, where people are not likely to have fast internet
5. Spread rumours about the release a whole lot of competing products that are similar to your flagship product, but slightly better in odd ways, with some reduced features, like no GSM. Just to confuse and alienate your current loyal customer base.
6. Produce a whole lot of accessories that you never make available on the market. Things like leather cases, high capacity batteries, spare chargers ... Even better, place a huge plug at the bottom of the device for a docking station, even show the docking station in some marketing, but never make it available.
7. Keep your code (even GPL code) a secret, so that noone can fix or upgrade or understand how your device actually works.

Apologies in advance for any similarity this has to situations past or present, whether real or imagined. In no way am I associated in any way with Huawei or any similar company.

Finally a big thank you to the Huawei Community that seems to mainly reside in this forum, for your perseverence, endeavour and cunning in fixing 90% of the problems with this device.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Be honest with us, you actually work for Huawei in marketing right? Because this looks like their carefully thought out road-map to success.

Tom

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I think Steve J has been giving them advice somehow. Despite all the above, I still use the Huawei and I am not searching for a replacement in the short term. When I do though, I might look for a company with just a little more post-sales support.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Actually, they have been pretty okay with the GPL stuff, for the Eclair stuff anyways.

8. Ship the firmware with easily fixable bugs that cripple functionality, including a whacky g-sensor and a default Launcher that always wants to take precedence over anything the user installs.

9. Leave your international sales representatives in the dark about upcoming product updates until the last minute, leading to confusion with the existing userbase and angry speculation.

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
The OP should be sent to the CEO of Huawei - he probably doesn't have a clue as to what's going on!

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
That is good, well bad for most that don't know to checkout what the development community is doing. If I was stuck on 2.1 with only 175MB for apps and the default launcher I would have only used this thing for a month and handed it off to my teenager and got a different tablet. However thank to everyone here I am not on 2.2 running joenilan's rom with apps2sd and I could not be happier. The tablet is supper responsive, has ample storage with 1.5 GB for apps, 5.2GB internal and 16GB external for storage. I can stream video, play games, listen to music, watch movies, use social networking, read books and surf the web. What more could I want? Not much. Thanks to everyone here for fixing what Huawei has messed up!