Hurry up with the honeycomb update.... update!!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Exactly, this is all Adobe and you just said so. Adobe is deciding not make the Flash yell at them until they do. Vizio is never going to be able to change Flash, it isn't Vizio's software. Vizio shouldn't have to meet an Adobe arbitrary hardware spec and it isn't in the requirements of Android. Furthermore neither Vizio nor Android have any obligation to provide us with Flash. The hardware is capable of running it and the software is capable of running it, Adobe just has to make it run.

Alas, Flash sucks anyway for the modern internet and Adobe realizes it is a losing proposition. Thus Flash is going away. It would only be right if Adobe facilitated the transition for the people who would like to use Flash though. Basically Adobe is cut and run since they choose not to support their Flash users.

I hope you do get the Vizio issues resolved. there are certain things Vizio should do support their tablet. By your own admission though it is Adobe that is choosing not to support Flash here and Vizio can't be blamed for that. Oh and by the way Adobe's line about not enough power is total BS don't buy it. Make a fuss and get them to fix Flash :)

Edit: One other point if the Vtab doesn't meet Adobe's hardware requirements for Flash why does it work on GB? The hardware is the same no matter what version of Android is running and Flash was working before. So whatever little bit of code they need to change to "optimize" Flash has nothing to do with hardware and everything to do with Adobe not making the necessary updates to the Flash app to work with all devices running HC and ICS. (This "optimized" issue isn't just with the Vtab by the way).

Last edited:

zsir

Sep 1, 2011
I'd like the hardware buttons back, I feel like vizio is trying to make me buy the new 10" to get the larger text I lost to honey comb.

I want you tube to work like it did with gingerbread

I use stock browser and dolphin. both have issues with honeycomb. text boxes do not highlight. they are sluggish. I never had a browser freeze the tablet until honeycomb.

The system is slower switching between tabs and changing from landscape to portrait.

It's just an immature build and needs to be updated/ patched. I know vizio can do better.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'd like the hardware buttons back, I feel like vizio is trying to make me buy the new 10" to get the larger text I lost to honey comb.

I use stock browser and dolphin. both have issues with honeycomb. text boxes do not highlight. they are sluggish. I never had a browser freeze the tablet until honeycomb.

The system is slower switching between tabs and changing from landscape to portrait.

It's just an immature build and needs to be updated/ patched. I know vizio can do better.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Now these could all be legitimate points. It is possible that your Honeycomb download didn't go well too since other don't seem to have some of the sluggishness problems. Also make sure all of your apps are up-to-date as you may need to get versions that are for Honeycomb/ICS which have some tablet specific app versions.

What is the difference in youtube you are referring to? Look and layout?

Youtube pre Android 3
$youtube-app-android-22.jpg

Youtube for tablets
$Screenshot_2012-02-16-21-26-49-e1329425069737.png

$xoom-youtube.png

Personally I find the changes a good improvement to take advantage of a tablet's screen size.

Last edited:

zsir

Sep 1, 2011
youtube can't play a hd video without constant buffering pauses it also seems to restart videos when I switch from portrait to landscape.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Exactly, this is all Adobe and you just said so. Adobe is deciding not make the Flash yell at them until they do.

I didn't yell at Adobe to write version 10.3 for GB Vizio Tablet so why should I yell at them to write a version of flash for the HC Vizio Tablet?

I didn't even want an HC Tablet I just wanted those update messages to stop but after seeing what I lost in the process I certainly will not update my second VTAB1008 to HoneyCrud.

And the very worst part of this ordeal is what I had to go through before I could talk to someone in one of the upper levels of Vizio tech support that was more interested in fixing problems with the software than to just add text to one of my 3 case numbers.

If Vizio really cared about their users they would get input from them. Hell, I can't even get them to look at what is written about Vizio's update on this site.

Last edited:

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
What is the difference in youtube you are referring to?

If you had an HC Vtab and used the browser to watch Youtube Videos you would know in an instant that the worse thing about Youtube is not really Youtube's fault but the worst thing about YouTube is a problem between the Vizio GB Adobe Flash Player and Vizio HC Operating system.

If you try to stop and restart a YouTube video played in the browser that can give you the impression that Youtube is unresponsive but all you really have to do is tap somewhere else on the screen first and then tap back on the video. That is frustrating and we shouldn't need to use two taps to do what we used to be able to do with just one tap. Besides I do not always remember to do that so I just don't use my HC VTAB with the GB flash player for watching YouTube videos.

On 5/5/12 I decided I'd try to side load Adobe Flash Player 11.1 on my GB VTAB. Then I pullup my test web page that has one single YouTube Video on it. The Video started out smaller for some reason then it ended up being kicked out of the browser meaning it crashed. Oh boy, I finally saw a GB VTAB crash but I'll take the blame for that crash. So it appears that the best Flash Player for the Android Browser in GB or HC is still 10.3.

Last edited:

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012

Thanks because that line is a keeper and I can use it for a website I'm setting up right now about what Vizio did to their customers with what they call an update and I call a Virus because we lost more than we gained.

Since I currently have both a GB VTAB and an HC VTAB I can easily see what you are talking about where you state later in this thread: "youtube can't play a hd video without constant buffering pauses it also seems to restart videos when I switch from portrait to landscape."

Yes, only the HC VTAB will stop and restart when you change from portrait to landscape and that is very frustrating if you are watching a music video. I can also see that their fix for that is to lock it into landscape if you try to go fullscreen. Note I stated try to go full screen because you only end up with about 90% of full screen after giving up 9.5% of the screen to the disabled bezel buttons.

My biggest complaint about the YouTube application is it will not let you view your own "History" playlist and then it will not add videos that you watch to your history playlist either.

Note: I can not consistenly recreate the problem with the buffering but I noticed that even the GB VTAB has issues where it will stop playing a youtube video in the YouTube app when another device logs into the same wireless router even though it has buffered up data.

One last note: I originally planned on turning my HC VTAB into a web server but I can not find an Android Webserver that gives me all the logging capabilities of other web servers. FYI I like to log the referring page and the user agent.

Last edited:

zsir

Sep 1, 2011
you would think more owners would be concerned with the current inability to update you tube and flash in the play store but I guess you tube isn't that big of a deal for a lot of owners.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
you would think more owners would be concerned with the current inability to update you tube and flash in the play store but I guess you tube isn't that big of a deal for a lot of owners.

First back to a previous quote of yours where you state: "it also seems to restart videos when I switch from portrait to landscape" because I can easily prove the YouTube application being used by the Vizio HC VTAB1008 restarts playlists to the first video in the list when you change from portrait to landscape or the other way around.

All you have to do to see that for yourself is select a playlist and be sure to tap on "Play all" in the upper right hand corner. Then changing from one video in the playlist to another video in the playlist is done by swiping your finger to the left or right which is pretty cool but the problem is if you change the orientation of the HC Vizio Tablet you will also reset what video you are watching to the first one in the playlist.

And this will really upset you. If you upgrade the YouTube application on the Vizio GingerBread VTAB1008 you can also easily change which video you are watching in a playlist just by swiping your finger to the left or right and it will *not* reset to the first video in the playlist if you change the orientation of the tablet.

That means you have found one more quirk that I plan to add to my web site as soon as I learn a little more about using .ASP because I want the web page itself to know if someone is viewing it with an HC VTAB1008. SO THANKS for finding another quirk with the HC VTAB1008.

------------------------------

Now to your current remark.

Yes, if users could see the latest YouTube app they just might want it over what Vizio provided us especially if they ever watch playlist and change the orientation of their tablet at the same time. EDIT I just found out you can "side load" the current youtube application and it appears to work a lot better than the Vizio YouTube application.

There is a way to "side load" the current Adobe Flash Player but it only makes things worse for the Android browser in both the GB and HC VTAB1008s.

FYI the main two reasons I bought the VTAB1008 was for the 1024x768 screen and the Flash Player but both of those would be changed for the worse with the "required update" to HC.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

I think a lot of owners do use youtube actually. Since I haven't upgraded to HC I can't say for sure if this is a typical problem with the update. Roger has noticed some issues and maybe a couple of others but I would think we would hear more if it was wide spread. I do know however the buffering problem is not unique to the Vtab. I have Nooks that do the same thing and read about any other devices here that have the problem. It seems to be on Google/youtube's end and definately something they should fix.

Like Roger's complaints about the extra touches the extra touch to toggle HQ is annoying.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
. . . I do know however the buffering problem is not unique to the Vtab. I have Nooks that do the same thing and read about any other devices here that have the problem. It seems to be on Google/youtube's end and definately something they should fix.

Like Roger's complaints about the extra touches the extra touch to toggle HQ is annoying.

1. Yes, "it is not unique" because the buffering problem seems to be in the YouTube App because there isn't as much buffering in the browser.

I just found out something else tonight too. For some reason when I tried to use the browser to play an entire YouTube video the HC VTAB couldn't make it all the way through and that happened a few times. Since I have both an HC and a GB VTAB I set them both up to play the exact same video and the HC VTAB could not finish the video yet the GB VTAB played it all the way through and that happened 4 out of 4 tries too.

I would hit refresh on both browsers to restart the videos and I noticed the third time the Flash Player quit about 2:23 into a video that last 3:02 and the fourth time I noticed the Flash Player quit about 2:00 into a video that last 3:02.

So now there is a third issue with the Adobe Flash Player and that is that it quits playing videos before the end of a video. Damn these screw ups with the HC VTAB are just too easy to find especially when I can compare it with a GB VTAB.

2. The original YouTube application for the GB VTAB only did HQ(480) and not HD(720). Yet the YouTube app in the HC VTAB does HD meaning there is more data being buffered with the HC VTAB YouTube app than there was with the original GB Youtube app.

I loaded the latest youtube application onto my GB VTAB, set it up to play in HD and it too had buffering problems so it seems to be the YouTube app itself. And if you "side load" the latest youtube app onto the HC VTAB the buffering problem seems to get even worse.

BTW I can get flash player objects from androidtablets.net to end up in the bookmarks page now. All you have to do is use the Browser to find a fairly big banner advertisment and then press and hold down the back button until you end up on the bookmark page and the flashplayer object will end up in the bookmark page too. So if I can get androidtablets.net to screwup then it can probably happen with a lot more sites too.

P.S. I have updated the post where I have been keeping all the quirks with the HC VTAB that I've found at:
Any way to undo Honeycomb upgrade?

Last edited:

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
So most can watch Youtube videos with the android browser? I can't, I can hear them but no video.

There is a work around for the issue you describe above but while the work around will allow you to watch youtube videos in the Android Browser you will have a one tap limit on the video meaning if you tap to pause the video you will have trouble restarting it or if you tap to start the video you will have trouble tapping on the video to stop it. But don't worry because there is also a work around for the one tap limit too.

First the work around for no video. From what I have experienced that will only happen if you end up at m.youtube.com. So the next time you do not see any video scroll down to the very bottom of the page and tap on where it says "Desktop."

Now the work around for the one tap issue. With Gingerbread you could tap to start a video and tap in the same place to stop the video but with HC you have to tap somewhere off of the video before your next tap on the video will be recognized. It took me hours to figure that out and I still forget about it from time to time.

ADDITION on 5/8: I forgot to mention earlier that after the above two work arounds you will only get to watch a youtube video from 2 to 4 minutes and I have not found a work around for that yet.

And the worst thing about taking me so long to figure out the work arounds for the funky flash player is it took me over a month before what I found out about the funky flash player ever got to someone that cared about it at Vizio.

Now I have a funny one for you. I've been working on a web page with two videos that are about 5 minutes long and if I try to bookmark my own page I end up with this:

$shot_000026.png

What you see above is what I call a bleed through because part of my web page has ended up in the bookmarks.

And the HC VTAB can not play either one of those videos all the way through but the GB VTAB can play both them all the way through.

On top of that, if you press the bookmark button while a video is playing all you have to do to get the video to play in the bookmarks is press the home key then select the Browser again.

Now why would Vizio keep forcing their HC update on people when it clearly has more bugs than their GB ever had? I wish I knew.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Roger has really gone through with fine tooth comb and done a thorough job of compiling the issues. I would say that this thread should be changed from "HC update update" to ICS update though. Come on Vizio, don't waste our time with Honeycomb. Go ahead and get ICS ready for us to test for you. Back at CES you might have honestly believed that you could ship the 10" with Honeycomb but all your competitors have moved on and there is no way that late this year or early next year you can ship a tablet with Honeycomb and expect people to want it. It has to be ICS, even if you shipped it tomorrow.

So go ahead and get us the ICS update already!

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Roger has really gone through with fine tooth comb and done a thorough job of compiling the issues.

Thank you for noticing and what I thought was odd was I kept finding new issues even after I thought there wouldn't be anymore.

I keep one of my post on this site updated with the issues I've found and I have a link to that particular post on my HC VTAB1008 web page, that I am still working on.

BTW my constantly updated post can be found at:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-way-undo-honeycomb-upgrade-2.html#post203266