I Absolutely LOVE This Tablet!!!

sign216

Oct 4, 2012
Another thing, it feels like the Tablet P was designed by Sony's phone developers rather than the team that designed the Tablet S. The removable battery of course, but the storage structure that requires a Second SD card to be installed. It deals with the storage exactly the same way my phone does. Sure it came with a 2gig "sample" card but it was plain you had to immediately invest in heftier storage. Also App2sd is present here as well. It is just a unique tablet design all the way around.

Sent from my Sony Tablet P

Tom, that's an interesting observation. It's quite possible that the P was developed by the "phone crew" instead of the normal "tablet crew." Either way, the current issue is that when the P didn't sell in big numbers, Sony throttled back the P tech support to bare bones.

Sony should still keep the P. It's unique design has a following, and (if supported) would always have a niche in the tablet market.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Problem is it wasn't until they hit outlets like Amazon at seriously reduced prices that people stated to get intetested and if Sony can't sell them at a decent profit there is no motivation for keeping the line alive. Kind of like the HP WebOS tablet.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

sign216

Oct 4, 2012
The original price of $500+ was too high. Now, at under $200, it's too low for Sony to keep up. But for such a unique design perhaps there's a happy medium?

Must Sony only be satisfied with maximum margins? Is it all about profit, profit, and more profit?

Sony is a corporation, so the answer is "yes."

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
The original price of $500+ was too high. Now, at under $200, it's too low for Sony to keep up. But for such a unique design perhaps there's a happy medium?

Must Sony only be satisfied with maximum margins? Is it all about profit, profit, and more profit?

Sony is a corporation, so the answer is "yes."

You may have noticed that Sony is doing none too well as of late, so excessive profits are not something they currently enjoy. I love their products and have confidence they will work out their problems and continue to innovate.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

xphyle

Aug 27, 2010
So I just pulled the trigger on this Sony Tablet P because it was on WOOT for $150 brand new. After buying, I see that the USA version never got the ICS upgrade (probably because of the AT&T branding). Have to admit that I'm kinda bummed, as it looks like the rest of the planet got the ICS update in June of 2012. Anyone found a way to upgrade to ICS? Not a huge deal. I have other tablets and got this one because of the novelty/portability.

Thanks,

sign216

Oct 4, 2012
Hi, I replied to you on the Pocketables forum. Essentially the answer is "No," people haven't found a way to load ICS onto the USA version of the P.

While I have your ear, I've been displeased with the poor wifi reception of the P. A passive mount antenna did nothing to help. Any ideas to improve the reception?

xphyle

Aug 27, 2010
I noticed the same thing. Wifi is pretty poor. I have no idea how to boost it. Seems to be a hardware issue. Move closer to your router. :)