I bricked my acer iconia a500. How do i fix it without sending it in?

DearTraveler

Sep 3, 2011
i tried to flash a rom to it and things didn't work so well.. Now everytime i turn it on the screen is black and constantly vibrates. I tried using the reset button on the side and holding the power and volume down button. none of these work. I can't get to the recovery but i know if i could i could reflash stock android. Anyone have any idea?

HD87

May 14, 2011
If you can't reboot into recovery by holding down the power & - volume button, you can't flash a ROM. How where you trying to flash a ROM in the first place? did you install Acer Recovery Installer & flash Clockwork Mod recovery?

DearTraveler

Sep 3, 2011
yea.. it took me to a boot menu and it said "would you like to flash zip file" or something like that and i said yes.. clicked yes a few times it restarted and was bricked..

HD87

May 14, 2011
yea.. it took me to a boot menu and it said "would you like to flash zip file" or something like that and i said yes.. clicked yes a few times it restarted and was bricked..
& you can't boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery by holding Power & - Vol button?
Which update.zip did you try to install? was it a custom ROM? Did you follow instructions? Your description is vague..

DearTraveler

Sep 3, 2011
I think i did.. i used acer recovery installer and loaded a rom called prime ( i think ) it was based on the asus epad.. i didn't name it update i left it with the original name but it gave me an option to load a zip file.. it asked me if i wanted prime.zip ( i think ) and i clicked yes.. the first time i booted it had the acer logo.. second time completely blank.. sorry about being vague i just don't know exactly what i did wrong.. i know i didn't make a backup and i think that i did something wrong which left it with no recovery which is why it boots into endless emptiness..

HD87

May 14, 2011
Welcome to bricksville! ;)
You clearly did not follow instructions... where did you get the ROM?
All custom ROM's are to be installed through ClockWorkMod using itsmagic, not through the Acer Recovery Installer app... :eek:
You were suppose to flash thor's CWM recovery image from the Acer Recovery Installer app.
Reboot into CWM recovery, WIPE EVERYTHING!
then install the custom ROM from within recovery..

try this --> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...set-a500-what-acer-support-wont-tell-you.html
then try this --> post #8 -> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...olding-yellow-triangle-exclamation-point.html

WARNING: to anyone else who might attempt this..

this is a video tutorial on how you were suppose to do this... sorry your watching this alittle late..

PS. If you consider contacting Acer about this, don't mention you tried flashing a ROM.
Just rooting your tablet voids Warranty

Last edited by a moderator:

DearTraveler

Sep 3, 2011
neither of these worked.. same black screen + vibration.. Acer would have some way to just reboot it if i sent it in. is there any other way i could do that from here?

DearTraveler

Sep 3, 2011
This also did not work.. my device can't even be read by the computer. it just turns on and vibrates. no screens or menus or anything

daveloves

Apr 1, 2012
This is some great information and i need to say it. Then try it on my wasted white screen acer iconia tab. Thanks