I can ONLY boot to recovery

vizo

Jun 8, 2011
Hi,

I was using the NC with nightly 177 for some time. Somehow it started to boot only to recovery.
I have the nightly 177.zip on the root of the sdcard, with recovery I try to install the zip, NC says installation is successfull, but I still only boot to recovery.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for answers..

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
I think you need to tell us a little more, like what were you doing when it stopped working?

vizo

Jun 8, 2011
Carrying it in my bag.. That's all. It was in another neoprene type bag. It may have turned on by accidentally by touching something, etc etc.
The sdcard is intact, I can read it in my PC.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Try puting the newest CWR zip on an SD card. Since it is booting into recovery anyway, boot up. Once in recovery, flash the CWR zip over the existing CWR.

Edit: One other thought, are you sure the n button isn't stuck? If it was in your bag and you are trying to power up with the n button stuck it would boot to recovery.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Are you sure the SD card is still staying firmly intact? My NC suddenly stopped locking it in place and I had to replace the NC under warranty.

vizo

Jun 8, 2011
Hi,
1: I have the CWR 3.2.0.1 Is that the newest? If not where can I find the newer version.
2. n button seems to work (not stuck). However when I press it it makes NC to boot (into recovery).
Funny things happen I know, I'm not new to IT (I come from DOS times), but new to android and tablets..
Any more help?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
CWR 3.2.0.1 is good, go ahead and try to flash that to repaire/replace the CWR on there currently.

Sounds like the power button may be stuck then, if pressing the n button cuases it to boot into recovery. The combination of the two leads to a recovery boot and it sure sounds like they are being pressed in combination. It could be something else though so try flashing the CWR zip and see what happens.

vizo

Jun 8, 2011
Are you sure the SD card is still staying firmly intact? My NC suddenly stopped locking it in place and I had to replace the NC under warranty.
Well, NC sees the new zip file (CM-encore-full-177.zip)I put on it from my PC, says install from SDCard complete. then I go back, and "reboot system now" by pressing the n button.
Green cyanogen logo comes with "loading.." and then I have the recovery boot.

vizo

Jun 8, 2011
What did you wipe?
I did not understand the question, but it seems I have a brick now...

Tried all the way from the scratch with booting from the sdcard, and installing two zips, one the latest nightly, and the gbapps. and then formatted the data..
It seems everything is going OK, but I can still only boot to the recovery.

I might try installing stock, and then trying once more, or maybe try to boot from the sdcard.

I'm kind of pissed off, anyhow. I wonder if that is because NC is kind of a sloppy piece of hardware.

I'm not living in USA, so using warranty is not an option..:(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
A sloppy piece of hardware? Not sure what that means, but I am pretty certain that your issues are software related and directly related to your actions (although the initial issue may have had nothing to do with you). If you actaully typed your post above correctly, I can see why you are having issues if you are flashing the zip files and then formatting data. You need to do any formatting and cache clearing before flashing the zip files, not after.

At this point it sounds like you have a bootable CWR card you are using. If that is the case then try putting CM7 7.0.3 or 7.1.0 zip file on the card along with the latest Gapps. You also need to have the original Nook Color partitions and not the Blue Dot partitions (assuming this is the case if you were already running nightlies).

1. Insert your bootable CWR SD card and boot up.
2. Wipe data.
3. Clear cache.
4. Clear dalvik cache.
5. Install CM7 ROM zip (I suggest trying Stable or RC1 first to make sure you can get it working then you can move to nightlies if you want).
6. Install the Gapps zip.
7. Unmount SD card and remove from Nook.
8. Reboot.
9. Enjoy your now working Nook running CM7.

JP

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
You also need to have the original Nook Color partitions and not the Blue Dot partitions (assuming this is the case if you were already running nightlies).

Just a minor clarification. It is not necessary to change the partitions unless you really need the original allocation of space. I just did a new one because of the aforementioned SD card slot issue and all I did was wipe and install. (My old one was also a blue dot and I did not change it either.) I have an 8GB card for backup and additional space so I was not concerned with changing the partitions to get more space. :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I believe the partition issue (blue dot) actaully depends on the version of CWR being used. The 3.2.0.1 and newer can do both, older CWR versions need the old partitions. Of course you should know better than most that for some reason people keep using the older versions of CWR ;)

I have included the partition suggestion just because because you never know what somebody is going to try.

:D JP

vizo

Jun 8, 2011
I believe the partition issue (blue dot) actaully depends on the version of CWR being used. The 3.2.0.1 and newer can do both, older CWR versions need the old partitions. Of course you should know better than most that for some reason people keep using the older versions of CWR ;)

I have included the partition suggestion just because because you never know what somebody is going to try.

:D JP

I'm trying your roadmap, I have the blue dot NC, and I had not changed the partitions first time when I was installing C7. I had started with nightly 132.. just FYI.

I will post the outcome.

vizo

Jun 8, 2011
I'm trying your roadmap, I have the blue dot NC, and I had not changed the partitions first time when I was installing C7. I had started with nightly 132.. just FYI.

I will post the outcome.

Sorry, but still only boot to the recovery...

BTW, I am removing the SD card and formatting it to fat32 after the installation of system, and gapps.
Then I "reboot system now".

Anything else I need to check?

With pressing the power switch, I toggle between the hat, and the menu. n button works, sd card is 4GB sandisk, NC was on mains power.