I can't figure out how to access files on my microsd card

rubeninfl

Nov 5, 2011
I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I searched the boards and couldn't find the answer. I just got my tablet for $185 at walmart and I got a 32gb microsd card too. I put the card in the tablet, connected the tablet to my pc. I can see the microsd card when I explore the tablet from my pc. I went ahead and dragged and dropped a 300mb video to the microsd card. I disconnected the tablet. Now, how do I play the video? More importantly, how do I explore the microsd from the tablet? I can't find any like "my computer" or "explore" to be able to find the microsd card, the files on the card, or tap and open the video file. am I missing something? Is there some additional app I have to download to be able to access something on the card?

imhumanoid

Nov 5, 2011
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astro

D
ownload that via the market :] Astro is my favorite file manager, it will give you access to your file system including your SD card.

Once you have it downloaded, open it up and select File Manager.
So you clicked File Manager, you will see a bunch of files. Look for External and select that.

Depending on where on your SD card you put the movie, it will show up in there somwhere. just look. :]

Also, the default movie player sucks. I would recommend DoubleTwist player. It handles Music, Movies and Videos all in the same app and it is very easy to use.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayer&hl=en

rubeninfl

Nov 5, 2011
Thank you so much. It's odd that they didn't include some kind of file manager.

imhumanoid

Nov 5, 2011
I thought it was odd also, Iv had 3 android phones, and none came with any file managers either. :/

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Thank you so much. It's odd that they didn't include some kind of file manager.

I couldn't agree more, at least for managing the things on your SD card. I could understand them not wanting a user to play around with system files and possibly damage or delete them, but the SD card is for your stuff and you should be able to access it without having to install an app.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I couldn't agree more, at least for managing the things on your SD card. I could understand them not wanting a user to play around with system files and possibly damage or delete them, but the SD card is for your stuff and you should be able to access it without having to install an app.
That could be akin to saying "Why didn't MS include a BLUERAY PLAYER with win 7?"

Reality is they don't. Some people may not want it.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
That could be akin to saying "Why didn't MS include a BLUERAY PLAYER with win 7?"

Not really, just about everyone has mp3, jpg, txt, mp4 etc. they'd like to access on their tablets via their SD card. I'd really be upset if MS didn't support any of those. Bluerays, not so much.

jworman

Jun 24, 2012
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.metago.astro

D
ownload that via the market :] Astro is my favorite file manager, it will give you access to your file system including your SD card.

Once you have it downloaded, open it up and select File Manager.
So you clicked File Manager, you will see a bunch of files. Look for External and select that.

Depending on where on your SD card you put the movie, it will show up in there somwhere. just look. :]

Also, the default movie player sucks. I would recommend DoubleTwist player. It handles Music, Movies and Videos all in the same app and it is very easy to use.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayer&hl=en

I downloaded Astro to my Archos 80 G9. It looks like a slick program. I am going through a procedure to move an Android app over to my wife's Kindle fire. The procedure says to set the default backup destination to the SD card. Then backup the app. Then hook up the tablet to the pc via USB and transfer the file to the pc. My problem is that any file of folder generated by Android is invisible on my PC. If I generate a folder or file, they can't be seen. If I make a folder on the sd card with the pc, Android can see that folder, but if anything is deposited in that folder, the PC does not see it.

I finally got around the problem by backing up to a little USB card I have plugged in the tablet. The PC doesn't see that card at all, but I unplugged it from the tablet and plugged it into the PC. I got my file that way.

Do I have some setting honked up where my PC can't see the files on the SD card via USB? I did not try to plug the micro sd card directly into the PC.

rcalegre_17

Feb 18, 2012
Many Android phones come with a lite version of QuickOffice, which can be used as a file explorer.

The file explorers that are FREE and work on the VTAB that I have tried are:

If you have an office suite installed they can be used to browse files, but may have limited capabilities for copying, etc.

I'm using ES File Explorer as my file manager. Just recently I replaced my 8gb micro sd to 32gb micro sd and have copied all the files using my laptop (I removed the microsd from the vtab, placed it on the laptop and did microsd to microsd copying). I added as well a new folder named applic where it contains all apk apps that I've downloaded from my laptop (copied from my laptop to microsd).

After copying I placed back again the new 32gb micro sd containing all my previous files and the new applic folder which I've created from my laptop. Unfortunately the said folder and all of its files can not be seen or accessed by the ES file explorer (already selected sd external). Only the movies can be seen in the sd external. Does this mean that folders and files created / copied from windows (my laptop) can't be able to see and access in android OS or in ES file explorer? Is there any workaround for this?