I have questions about the Diablotek D2 internet tablet, (D2 Pad)

routeburner

Jan 17, 2012
I bought 2 D-Pads for my 5 & 6 year old daughters for Xmas and I'm trying to set them up before I give them as gifts. My questions: 1: How do I download the Google Play app that other Androids tablets use instead of this "1-Mobile Market"? and 2: Do any one have one that has a working video chat app? I've tried Tango which is pre-installed, ooVoo, and about 3 other generic video chat apps, but they only let you see the recipient but they cannot see you, nor does the front face camera show you. (I know the camera works because the front face works fine in camera mode)

Robyski

Mar 14, 2012
Routeburner,

NOTE: There are several versions of this tablet. Most of us picked them up at Big Lots, but I noticed Amazon has them as out-of-stock items. There is more info on the d2pad.info website.

The "older" DII Pad has the 1.2 GHz processor and 1GB RAM. It has a RAINBOW screen pic on the box.

The "newer" D2-711 Pad has the 1.0G GHz processor and 512MB RAM. The side flaps of the boxes are color-coded.

Make sure of the EXACT MODEL you have before trying to load any of the custom ROM's on these forums! The hardware and firmware are different between the models.

View attachment 9468

The "old" DII pad with 1.2 GHz processor and 1 GB RAM.

View attachment 9469
The "new" D2 pad with 1.0 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM.

Good luck,

Robyski

Last edited:

routeburner

Jan 17, 2012
Thanks Robyski I have the ones with 1.0 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM. I picked mine up at Microcenter a computer / electronic store.

Robyski

Mar 14, 2012
Routeburner,

Glad to see another retailer, MicroCenter, carrying these tablets. We have a MircoCenter here in Dallas, and I see they are also running the D2's for 79.99. There is a LOT of support and info on this website for the D2 tablets.

I have both the older DII and the newer D2. Looking forward to getting them set up for the kiddos. MUCH cheaper than a LeapPad, InnoTab, Nabi, Kurio, Meep, Lexibook, etc. No cartridges to buy either!

There is at least (1) Custom ROM available. MyFishBear and Vampirefo put it together a week or so ago. You can read more about it here:

-ROM- D2_711 (512MB Model)

Enjoy,

Robyski

rampancy

Feb 21, 2013
Just to muddy the waters a little bit, D2 is now apparently shipping two new revisions of the D2-711; the D2-712, which comes with Jelly Bean 4.1.1 preinstalled (as far as I know, it's hardware-wise pretty much identical to the 711) and the D2-721, which has Jelly Bean 4.1.1, 1 GB of RAM, and a 1.2 Ghz Rockchip RK2928 CPU, (single-core, Cortex A9-derivative).

elmetal

Sep 21, 2013
Just to muddy the waters a little bit, D2 is now apparently shipping two new revisions of the D2-711; the D2-712, which comes with Jelly Bean 4.1.1 preinstalled (as far as I know, it's hardware-wise pretty much identical to the 711) and the D2-721, which has Jelly Bean 4.1.1, 1 GB of RAM, and a 1.2 Ghz Rockchip RK2928 CPU, (single-core, Cortex A9-derivative).
Does anybody have the 712?

if so can anyone post their build.prop or possibly a ROM? I messed up my build.prop......