I need serious help

8650help

Jul 14, 2012
Hi Guys

So here's my deal -i won an online bid on two google android 2.2 MID 7'' tablets. Specs as follows:

◦CPU: VIA8650 800MHz
◦OS: Google Android 2.2
◦RAM: 256MB
◦Storage: 4GB
◦Support TF card extend 16GB max
◦Display: 7 inch TFT LCD resistive touch panel 800*480
◦Camera: 0.3 mega pixel
◦Battery: 1500MAH
◦Networking: Wifi 802.11 b/g
◦Support Flash 10.1 and HD 720P Video

Yes, after winning the bid and feeling proud of myself I was excited to get my new tablets in the next week. I didnt read into the specs that much since I just want the tablet as a portable source for all my documents and for occasionally violating free wifi just for the sake of it. My laptop is sufficient for the rest of the hard core things.

BUT- I started reading reviews now and I don't know if this tablet was a good buy. It might frustrate me more than what the little money I spent on it is worth.

SO - Keep reading things about ROM upgrades. No matter how many forums I read, I am a newbie with no in depth tech whizz and do not understand what this is all about. I understand that you download folders from somewhere, extract them on your desktop, format the tablet's SD card, install some of the files on it and put it into the tablet for a complete reboot and upgrade.

Can you please assist me with this since I also want to upgrade mine when they arrive end next week.

1. which upgrade? What do the different ROM's do? (I think I just want a more energy efficient version of my little tablet and market access..and maybe livewallpaper. no LCD and vibrating things). WHERE DO I START:confused:

2. Where can I get these ''ROM files''.

3. Can this all go terribly wrong and break my tablet, can it be reset or something if it goes wrong?

I know these things have been discussed elsewhere in the forums but I just need an idiot's guide reply to grasp all of this...

Will be so much appreciated...

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Not every Android tablet has roms that can be flashed to them. Some of the cheap Chinese Android tablets do but most dont. You might be stuck with what came on the Tablet.

8650help

Jul 14, 2012
Not every Android tablet has roms that can be flashed to them. Some of the cheap Chinese Android tablets do but most dont. You might be stuck with what came on the Tablet.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking into some of the new versions of uberoid. It seems like its compatible with quite a few, but since I haven't received them yet I can't check the complete specs. I will probably know by the end of the week.

Does anyone know if VIA 8650 is the same as WM8650. As far as I can gather VIA 8650 is the processor but the information I have doesn't say much about Wonder Media.

What's going to happen if I flash this tablet and it doesn't work - will I lose it?

thanks

8650help

Jul 14, 2012
Hello Everyone :)I finally recieved my tablet. I thought I bought a WM8650 tablet with android 2.2. Since my last post I was planning on flashing Uberoid universal onto it.But, Wee bit of a problem - the tablet information states the following:Model number 7206Android 2.3.3Kernel 2.6.25.7 - info TM Neville@neville-desktop#4Build Number: GRI40Baseband version: unknownAs far as I understand uberoid is based on android 2.2, and obviously doesn't support my tablet. I tried to google my specs and can't really understand where I'm standing with the flashing potential of my tablet. Is there a ROM that supports this tablet? Is it even a WM8650 or is it just the processor that is VIA 8650? Are there any modifications that can be made?I really hope so Any comments or advice would be so much appreciated