I think my tablet is done

Scoot

Mar 24, 2011
thank you. all I can get to is clockwork or hang up on th coby screen. I can reset it but it goes right back to either. thanks for all the help I am getting closer I think

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
So I restored my Coby to an earlier restore point and tested again. Now restore goes to the blue text screen - Android system recovery. I think you can still apply the update.zip from the ClockWorkMod screen.

Scoot

Mar 24, 2011
I have tried and it wont let me install the update my next idea was does anyone have a basic clockwork back up file just the minimum. my sdcard is formated now... yeah got a little carried away with the buttons. if I can find one it might recover from that.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
huh?
You restore from the sd card. You put update.zip on the sd card.
Did you copy AeroToxin's down load to the sdcard in / ?
so contents of /sdcard/ has update.zip in the root partition?

Scoot

Mar 24, 2011
yes I put the update on the sdcard it is on the root and still nothing I found an old backup from someone else and attempted to use recovery by putting it in the clockwork partition but I am still getting the same error mounting data so its something to do with the data. the update.zip does nothing the factory reset just gives me the error and any backup I try to use just gives me the error. I am stuck in clockwork and cant get to anything else so unless I can do something from my pc I think it is done

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I use adb from the PC to the Coby after it boots up and gets to the home screen.
Do you have a second sdcard you could try?
I know there are at least two ways to boot to recovery. One is to hold in the Power Button and the Return (silver button) until you get to the Warning triangle with a ! mark and an android. Another is to hold in the Return (silver button) and press the reset on the back. Speaking of reset, you have tried that a few times haven't you?

Scoot

Mar 24, 2011
yeah I have done it more then a few times. its not the sd card I can mount and move files off and back on to the sd card no problem and I am not sure how to get adb to work I have tried that and I think it is not working because I am not able to get it fully booted. no matter which buttons I push it goes back to clockwork if I could get it to the factory blue letter recovery I might have a better shot. if there was a way to wipe it clean like a pc and reload the rom i would be golden. I have been messing with android for a year now and I am still lost. thanks for your help ridgeland sorry I make no sense at times

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Took a while to get to use the tablet again.
It was my wife's turn to play with it. :)

So I booted to ClockWorkMod plugged in the USB and tested adb. It works.
So here is what I found:
# adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF recovery
| root@Gigabyte | /home/ridgeland | Fri Apr 08, 2011 09:09 AM # # # #
# adb shell
~ # ls
cache dev init.rc root sys
data etc proc sbin system
default.prop init res sdcard tmp
~ # mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/block/mtdblock4 on /cache type yaffs (rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime)

That means adb works while the Coby is at the clockworkmod Recovery screen.

I'll be gone all day but see if you can get that far. I use Linux not Windows so you may not get # for a prompt, don't type in # it's just a prompt.

Maybe we can see what "mount" shows at the menu and later what "mount" shows when it locks up.

I see two options on the menu for zips. The first is "apply sdcard:update.zip" the second is "install zip from sdcard". The first sound like the right way to install AeroToxin's update.zip but you might as well try them both.

Scoot

Mar 24, 2011
I got adb to work that is exciting. I have tired both options to update in clockwork and both of them have the same results. so now if I could figure out how to use adb to... for lack of better terms factory reset and update from my pc that would be great. oh and if I am not in clockwork adb cant find the device.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
My theory is that Clockworkmod for whatever reason is mounting /data. Notice that in mine it does not. The restore or install:update.zip also mounts /data and that's the crash. So the first is to first unmount (umount) /data.
What does
adb shell mount
give you?

Scoot

Mar 24, 2011
mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/block/mtdblock4 on /cache type yaffs (rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime)
~ #

it looks similar.

Last edited:

Scoot

Mar 24, 2011
yeah I found another guy who had the same problem and it said something about the softmac file I am going to try to find one and she if I can push it.

Scoot

Mar 24, 2011
well spent all afternoon looking around and I feel like I am no closer I can get adb to do basic commands but I cant get fastboot to recognize it and I have no clue how to use all the commands so I am giving up for now unless anyone can point me in the right direction. my head hurts and I need to work tonight. I will update more when I find it