I want to go back to stock, but ...

pustyak

May 10, 2011
Two weeks ago, I received VS G-TAB. The next day I rooted it and installed a VegAN-Tab rom. That's not the problem.

The problem is that I am regretting moving away from stock. The stock apps were much better than anything I have downloaded from the android market. All the market apps like calendars, contacts, etc. want to sync with Google which is something I absolutely do not want. Also, although I realize that many others disagree, I like the dashboard interface.

I know how to restore my GTab back to stock and that's not the problem. The basic problem is when it comes to third-party apps. There are certain apps that I need to have such as a scientific calculator, a note taker, and the ability to write handwritten notes on the screen. Also I would like to replace the stock clock with one with numbers. Ok, that's the background and context of my questions.

My question is how limited is the stock OS in running third-party apps? Why is the android market not supported? I realize that VS provides alternatives to the android market, but really, how difficult would it had been for them to support the android market? Finally, how many (stock) firmware updates have there been, and what do they add besides Flash and USB?

Thanks.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Partial answer...

You don't really need the Android market any longer... you can use the Amazon App market... It should handle any of your third party app needs. It has pretty much the same apps plus the benifit of a free paid app every day but no syncing and what not.. personaly though i like the syncing. i have 2 android tablets and a DroidX. Anything i add/update in the calander pushes to all my devices...email is the same, change on one and all the other reflect it... if i buy an app on one i can then use it on the others without re-purchase.

as far as the firmware changes... I'm sure you can find it by doing a google/yahoo search for "Viewsonic G tablet firmware change log"

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
There really is no limit in the apps you can run other than getting the basic architecture limitations (meaning there are just some apps that can't run on a particular type of hardware). As far as the hardware, I would recommend doing an NVFLASH to the 4349 Stock ROM, this will give you the most current updates, and also leave you on a path where most of the future development seems to be heading (although there are no guarantees).

As far as apps, have you tried Maplepaint? I use that with a capacitive stylus for my handwritten note taking.

pustyak

May 10, 2011
Partial answer...
as far as the firmware changes... I'm sure you can find it by doing a google/yahoo search for "Viewsonic G tablet firmware change log"

Thanks. Yeah, I don't think it's any big loss to lose the android market.

I did that search, but all it really comes back with are reviews or announcements of the firmware updates, but really nothing technical.

pustyak

May 10, 2011
Speak of the devil - I just powered the G-Tab off and charged it, and now I have lost all my apps. Didn't play with CW or anything. All I did was try out some different launchers yesterday, now everything is gone. (Basic Vegan-tab is still there though)

EDIT: I powered it off and powered it back on and all is right with the world again.

Last edited:

beastman

May 8, 2011
One reason I need the Android Market is to install the paid apps I already have on my Evo.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
You can always side load apps from the market to a non-market enabled device.

Sent from my Bottle of Smoke using Android Tablet Forum