iCan provides "official" upgrade to their Flytouch II clone

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I wonder if someone could break this ROM down and utilize it to make the 3925 work better or mabye make it obsolete? Would this ROM give more functionality to the rest of our pads? I could flash it, but I don't want to risk a brick. Is the iCan based on proprietary information, or is it just like the rest of us with the 256M pads. Simply a clone. My SuperPad is 0.6.3.2 (677). I'm not sure how to break down the .ius file to find what I'm looking for. I downloaded the files from the site, but, as I said, I don't want to brick my tablet.

Can anyone on here that owns an iCan provide us with a screenshot of their build info, or at least post it up?

BTW, thanks dlzc for the info. Much appreciated.

Sent from a rooted SuperPAD clone with Android 2.2 :p

dlzc

Feb 10, 2011
Can anyone on here that owns an iCan provide us with a screenshot of their build info, or at least post it up?

Pre-update (waiting to hear if camera and other things work).
Model number: SAWEE Pad
Firmware version: 2.1-update1 V2.2:#3245
Baseband version: unknown
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 infotm-sqa@infotm-sqa-desktop #57
Build number: ERE27

But iCan shows at least two models on their website (variances associated with the Home key is all I can see), associated with this update, so presumably care has to be taken there as well.

Trying Micro$haft's "Virtual PC" to see if I can run the update from 32bit WinXP inside 64bit Win7...

[EDIT: NOte the update to the first post...]

Last edited:

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011

But iCan shows at least two models on their website (variances associated with the Home key is all I can see), associated with this update, so presumably care has to be taken there as well.

Trying Micro$haft's "Virtual PC" to see if I can run the update from 32bit WinXP inside 64bit Win7...

I think a lot of people are having these issues with Windows 7 compatibility. I read a few of the threads on the site. I see that there are not many positive responses. I personally have a Windows XP machine. I would like to see that their ROM has a stable Wifi, smooth operation, etc. I have a greater hope for these tablets, especially if someone can gain support here in the US.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010

[EDIT: NOte the update to the first post...]
dlzc, I hijacked your thread and started one in the Sylvania Tablets forum which has a similar 10" version of the ICAN!. We've already struggled through most of the issues with the InfoTM Update Wrap Tools (IUW.exe) and there is even a newer version 1.2 discussed in http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...date-synet7lp-sytabex7-android-2-2-froyo.html.

The update provides some insight to how the suppliers (ICAN!, Slyvania "Digital Gadgets", disgo, AIRIS, and others) are struggling with infoTMIC programming support for these tablets. The "ICAN Updater application" seems like an attempt to fix the broken "System Update" by rooting the tablet to make modifications and run a Listener an apply updates. Let us know what you find once you get it installed. Some past experience in the Sylvania threads may be of value.

sharpe351, I'm extracting the images from the multi-part InfoTM Update Wrap (.ius) using vio's IusEdit_0.41 utility discussed in the Custom Sylvania ROM development thread to see what improvements if any are in the filesystems.

Thanks great find!

Last edited:

daftdog

Jul 22, 2011
Successfully burnt this to my Superpad 2 using USB method. Installed easily and ran first boot ok.

Now shows:

Model No wwe10,
Android version2.2v1.8:#3656,
Kernel version 2.6.32.9 (Infotm-sqa@infotm-sqa-desktop#76),
Build number FRF85B.

Also updates uboot to 0.6.1.2(672)

3G modems: I have two; Huawei E1750 works after inputting apn details and a Huawei E153 which tries to connect but fails (same problems I had with #2852 and #3245 updates.)
Wi-fi: dont use it
Camera: works ok.

Still same problems with Market (only free apps, etc.).
Still same problems with Location in Maps etc.

I was using Android-2-2-v2-1-#3925 (barsuk mod) and will probably go back to it for the better functioning of 3G. Barsuk also gave some workarounds for the location and market problem which didn't work for me (on his mod) but mabye they'll work on the iCan update.

Last edited:

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
dlzc, I hijacked your thread and started one in the Sylvania Tablets forum which has a similar 10" version of the ICAN!. We've already struggled through most of the issues with the InfoTM Update Wrap Tools (IUW.exe) and there is even a newer version 1.2 discussed in http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...date-synet7lp-sytabex7-android-2-2-froyo.html.

The update provides some insight to how the suppliers (ICAN!, Slyvania "Digital Gadgets", disgo, AIRIS, and others) are struggling with infoTMIC programming support for these tablets. The "ICAN Updater application" seems like an attempt to fix the broken "System Update" by rooting the tablet to make modifications and run a Listener an apply updates. Let us know what you find once you get it installed. Some past experience in the Sylvania threads may be of value.

sharpe351, I'm extracting the images from the multi-part InfoTM Update Wrap (.ius) using vio's IusEdit_0.41 utility discussed in the Custom Sylvania ROM development thread to see what improvements if any are in the filesystems.

Thanks great find!

See, I knew someone would get ahold of this and run with it. I have actually followed quite a few of your tutorials to help me better identify my tablet. Using terminal emualtor app I have this info: hwver=0.6.3.2 (677), mode=SAWEE10, device=wwe10. I pulled some other information, but I'm not sure of the significance, outside of merely identifying the hwver. I got a console=ttySAC3, 115200.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Successfully burnt this to my Superpad 2 using USB method. Installed easily and ran first boot ok.

Now shows:

Model No wwe10,
Android version2.2v1.8:#3656,
Kernel version 2.6.32.9 (Infotm-sqa@infotm-sqa-desktop#76),
Build number FRF85B.

Also updates uboot to 0.6.1.2(672)

3G modems: I have two; Huawei E1750 works after inputting apn details and a Huawei E153 which tries to connect but fails (same problems I had with #2852 and #3245 updates.)
Wi-fi: dont use it
Camera: works ok.

Still same problems with Market (only free apps, etc.).
Still same problems with Location in Maps etc.

I was using Android-2-2-v2-1-#3925 (barsuk mod) and will probably go back to it for the better functioning of 3G. Barsuk also gave some workarounds for the location and market problem which didn't work for me (on his mod) but mabye they'll work on the iCan update.

Install Android Market 3.0 to get paid apps. Works on mine (no workaround). I also use Amazon app store for apps. I really would like to know if the Wifi is stable.

daftdog

Jul 22, 2011
Snap! I was installing V3 of the Market as you were posting but doesn't work for me - keeps crashing so i uninstalled it (worked on #3925). Will try Amazon.
Also can't update Dolphin browser.
Will go to a mates place tomorrow to try wi-fi.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Snap! I was installing V3 of the Market as you were posting but doesn't work for me - keeps crashing so i uninstalled it (worked on #3925). Will try Amazon.
Also can't update Dolphin browser.
Will go to a mates place tomorrow to try wi-fi.

I had some initial force close issues with the 3.0 market when first installed. I did a reboot in #3925 to get it up and working. You may want to try it to see what happens.
I got Dolphin off the amazon market (mini I think). Works great. The installed dolphin browser is riddled with problems. Thanks for the update!

Last edited:

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Cfrockit,
Will "downgrading" the hwver work on my tablet? and do the workarounds for root work on this version of the 2.2 ROM?

daftdog

Jul 22, 2011
I had some initial force close issues with the 3.0 market when first installed. I did a reboot in #3925 to get it up and working. You may want to try it to see what happens.

Thanx, reinstalled Markert V3 and rebooted and all working.
Now just have to work out why my location is now showing as the middle of the Laptev Sea in Russia! Oh well something different to China anyway. The 'GPS Status' app seems to help with the Location problem.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
See, I knew someone would get ahold of this and run with it. I have actually followed quite a few of your tutorials to help me better identify my tablet. Using terminal emualtor app I have this info: hwver=0.6.3.2 (677), mode=SAWEE10, device=wwe10. I pulled some other information, but I'm not sure of the significance, outside of merely identifying the hwver. I got a console=ttySAC3, 115200.

sharpe351 BIG significance, the number between the parenthesis (###) is the U0 "u-boot-nand.bin" version and is specific the the "hwver". Users mixing and matching then burning the incorrect U0 or even worse UBOOT images have caused irreparable damage (bricked) their tablets. As noted in the post above yours the image included in these multi-part update files is "2009.08-svn672 (Mar 11 2011 - 06:40:06)".

Will "downgrading" the hwver work on my tablet? and do the workarounds for root work on this version of the 2.2 ROM?
I cannot offer any opinion without fear that any attempt to use anything other than the "correct" files/versions for the specific tablet may brick the tablet. The only sure fire way to update is stick with the updates for the "hwver". These updates do NOT seem to be for 0.6.3.2 U0 672. We really believe that there are unique boards from each of the suppliers.

Last edited:

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
sharpe351 BIG significance, the number between the parenthesis (###) is the U0 "u-boot-nand.bin" version and is specific the the "hwver". Users mixing and matching then burning the incorrect U0 or even worse UBOOT images have caused irreparable damage (bricked) their tablets. As noted in the post above yours the image included in these multi-part update files is "2009.08-svn672 (Mar 11 2011 - 06:40:06)".

I cannot offer any opinion without fear that any attempt to use anything other than the "correct" files/versions for the specific tablet may brick the tablet. The only sure fire way to update is stick with the updates for the "hwver". These updates do NOT seem to be for 0.6.3.2 U0 672. We really believe that there are unique boards from each of the suppliers.

So we will say "not a good idea". Can I downgrade to the other image without changing the U0? Or would it be a moot point? Basically I want to ditch the shaky Wifi. It's really starting to piss me off.

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
So we will say "not a good idea". Can I downgrade to the other image without changing the U0? Or would it be a moot point? Basically I want to ditch the shaky Wifi. It's really starting to piss me off.
Unfortunately, NONE of the firmware/updates do anything to affect the Wi-Fi issues reported by all of the infoTMIC powered devices. There is ongoing work to create custom images to address the issues since a timely update is not expected from infoTMIC. All of the suppliers are reliant on infoTMIC fixing the issues and it's becoming obvious they're all struggling with infoTMIC to provide an "official" update. Many users are reporting returning their tablets only to get a refurbished one with the same or worse issues. Also reported that many if not all of the "fixes" may or may not work given your environment (router, B/G/N, encryption, distance). Those of us with fairly stable Wi-Fi count ourselves as lucky because there are so many reports of user complaints. Only advice is to keep trying to different Wi-Fi configurations until an "official" or custom update is released.