ice cream sandwich bug on a500

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Thanks so much. Check out the diff output below showing differences between the /system/build.prop file on your Australian a500 and the /system/build.prop file on my US a500.

The differences are the build dates, build IDs, and region codes. The region code difference makes some sense. I'm not sure I understand all of the reasoning though, because my a100 HC build id shows GEN1, not CUS1 like the ICS build on my a500.

I don't understand why your build version is 031 when mine is 033 though. I also wonder why there is difference of just over a week between the two builds. It seems peculiar that the US version that I received is over a week younger than the AU version that you received, but your older version was delivered a few weeks later. I suppose that this all could just be an artifact of their development process, but it still seems a little odd. The builds are certainly different in any case. It does leave me wondering about any code or configuration differences there are.

$ diff my_a500_ics_build.prop.txt dv_a500_ics_build.prop.txt
4,5c4,5
< ro.build.display.id=Acer_AV041_A500_1.033.00_PA_CU S1
< ro.build.version.incremental=1333727375
---
> ro.build.display.id=Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GE N1
> ro.build.version.incremental=1333032611
9,10c9,10
< ro.build.date=Fri Apr 6 23:50:30 CST 2012
< ro.build.date.utc=1333727430
---
> ro.build.date=Thu Mar 29 22:51:13 CST 2012
> ro.build.date.utc=1333032673
15c15
< ro.build.sku=PA_CUS1
---
> ro.build.sku=WW_GEN1
18c18
< ro.product.name=a500_pa_cus1
---
> ro.product.name=a500_ww_gen1
31,32c31,32
< ro.build.description=a500_pa_cus1-user 4.0.3 IML74K 1333727375 release-keys
< ro.build.fingerprint=acer/a500_pa_cus1/picasso:4.0.3/IML74K/1333727375:user/release-keys
---
> ro.build.description=a500_ww_gen1-user 4.0.3 IML74K 1333032611 release-keys
> ro.build.fingerprint=acer/a500_ww_gen1/picasso:4.0.3/IML74K/1333032611:user/release-keys

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Trying to understand the detail is going to be very complex. The differnce between your version of ICS and mine is quite obvious which is why I would like to compare with someone from the EU and with someone else from the Asian block and from South America.(and from the African Block if possible). It is like I said in an earlier post - this reminds me of the weird updates with VideoStudio 7.

To stir the pot even further, I checked my wife and daughter's A500s, both which are running smoothly. Both have the SCREEN ROTATION LOCK slid all the way to the right ( LOCKED position) and they also don't have any problems. what is really quirky is the fact that my wife's A500 is a later serial number than mine but the DOM is March 2011. My daughter's is later again and the DOM is April 2011. That throws I earlier post out the window.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Here's my build.prop file if it will help. To add a new wrinkle to the puzzle, I just noticed the rotation problem once after the ICS update, and after reading a post about it, but after I shut down and flipped the lock switch and booted back up, the problem never returned even when I tried to force it to happen using Mrhelper's test methods.

DOM: April 2011
PN/MODEL NO: XE.H60PN.002
MODEL: A500 - 16GB
FLEX Ver/Build No:[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Acer_AV041_A500_1.033.00_PA_CUS1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.date=Fri Apr 6 23:50:30 CST 2012 [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]# begin build properties [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.id=IML74K [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.display.id=Acer_AV041_A500_1.033.00_PA_CUS1 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.version.incremental=1333727375 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.version.sdk=15 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.version.codename=REL [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.version.release=4.0.3 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.date=Fri Apr 6 23:50:30 CST 2012 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.date.utc=1333727430 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.type=user [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.user=pandora [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.host=pandora03 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.tags=release-keys [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.sku=PA_CUS1 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.product.model=A500 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.product.brand=acer [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.product.name=a500_pa_cus1 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.product.device=picasso [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.product.board=picasso [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.product.manufacturer=Acer [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.product.locale.language=en [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.product.locale.region=US [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.wifi.channels= [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.board.platform=tegra [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.product=picasso [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.build.description=a500_pa_cus1-user 4.0.3 IML74K 1333727375 release-keys ro.build.fingerprint=acer/a500_pa_cus1/picasso:4.0.3/IML74K/1333727375:user/release-keys ro.build.characteristics=tablet [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]# end build properties [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.opengles.version=131072 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]wifi.interface=wlan0 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]keyguard.no_require_sim=1

ro.dinfo.version=1.0
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.cpu.vendor=nVidia [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.cpu.speed=1.0 GHz [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.cpu.version=T20

ro.sf.lcd_density=160

#
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]# ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.error.receiver.system.apps=com.acer.android.nidus [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]acer.sync.adb.mode=ENABLED [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]dalvik.vm.heapstartsize=5m [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit=48m [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]dalvik.vm.heapsize=256m [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-acer [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]drm.service.enabled=true [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.product.modelalias=A500 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.tether.denied=true [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]ro.com.google.gmsversion=4.0_r1 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]net.bt.name=Android [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt [/FONT]

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Some interesting differences even in the hardware. I also tried to simulate the error that MrHelper had so laboriously detailed but it won't happen. I've even checked for error logs; checked the ICS installation log and various other files and I find nothing.

I've also noticed that your DOM is the same as mine and my daughter's. Mrhelper's is months later. You have the newer/later version of ICS, like MrHelper, ver build 33 where as I have build 31which is the same as my wife's and mydaughter's units. I'm not sure what these minor build version differences mean - if they mean anything at all. It would not surprise me if the French build version would be 32 - Giles, who lives in France, was one up on me with the last build version for HC. This may be region build configuration. I don't know! Diioro should ask his family member for clarification.

After all, it was he that said that there was no difference in the AU/NZ version and that we were incorrectly informed by a representative of ACER in Australia. But the proof is in the pudding - as we all have daily proof.

Last edited:

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Douvie, looks like both of us were fortunate enough to get one without that annoying rotation lock problem. All of the little differences just seem odd to me. Why do they have to be that way? Why ARE they that way?

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
The differences in builds and mfg dates may not affect anything associated with this issue, but this has certainly been interesting regardless.

The sensor related code, and init sequence may be identical in all builds. Same issue for the hardware versions. It could be that they merely tuned the boot sequence too narrowly relative to the TI power controller specs, and/or the MPU warm up specs. Merely adding a few milliseconds here and there in the reponse times of a few devices in the boot sequence could add up to enough to make the difference, if this really is a race condition as I suspect it is.

The fact that only some of us see the problem, and that it is so intermittent, may simply mean that for HC, the init sequence was not tuned quite as tightly as it was for ICS. It may simply be that if my tablet boot sequence gets to the device probe stage ~10ms before yours, I see the problem and you don't. If the timing of mine varies due to temperature or battery voltage, etc., by just a couple ms, then I see it, and when the timing varies the othe way, I don't. That's how race condtions work, and they can be hard to understand and resolve. My hope is that Acer actually has a few sample devices that are worse than mine, and is looking into the problem. If not, I'm not botherd by it much. I personally have learned to work around it and now see it merely as a minor inconvenience. Others may not be as fortunate though, which is why I have kept updating my posts on this.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Douvie, looks like both of us were fortunate enough to get one without that annoying rotation lock problem. All of the little differences just seem odd to me. Why do they have to be that way? Why ARE they that way?
Frapshake, I believe that you are correct.

With the various coding differences I believe we may have differences because of the different regions and the various differnt app-packs that are available for each region - based on language and alphabet, currency and numeral citation and etc.

remember this. In some places a billion may be represented as 1000 million. In other places a billion is 1000000 million (million million).....

So coding will differ and apps will differ. So the sub versions 33 in your case, and 31 in my case may just be a regional templates not necessarily a lesser version of ICS.

I also read in one of the threads on the forum, where some one was saying that officesuite (or one of the office packages - I'm not quite sure on the name) came as part of their ICS upgrade package.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Frapshake, I believe that you are correct.

With the various coding differences I believe we may have differences because of the different regions and the various differnt app-packs that are available for each region - based on language and alphabet, currency and numeral citation and etc.

remember this. In some places a billion may be represented as 1000 million. In other places a billion is 1000000 million (million million).....

So coding will differ and apps will differ. So the sub versions 33 in your case, and 31 in my case may just be a regional templates not necessarily a lesser version of ICS.

I also read in one of the threads on the forum, where some one was saying that officesuite (or one of the office packages - I'm not quite sure on the name) came as part of their ICS upgrade package.

Very good points, Douvie. Thanks. However, you would like to think that some trained staff could do more testing before putting the finished product on the shelf for shipping. But someone might say that would cut into profit too much to pay techs to do that, but how much is it costing them to pay staff to take care of the returns? Money-wise and reputation-wise. I mean, having a few Icebikes or Mrhelpers with their smarts and simple apps could quickly show a particular tablet has a problem, so they put it in the "Not Ready for Shipping" bin and that one doesn't come back. Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but it makes sense to me.

btmh

May 7, 2012
Mrhelper said:
You may have encountered the ICS relate InvenSense sensor initialization problem I wrote about in this long winded post: http://androidforums.com/acer-iconia-tab-a500/541508-possible-relief-several-a500-ics-related-symptoms-problems.html. It started out with the sensor problem and what I thought were related performance problems, and turned into a post about both the sensor issue and more general app related performance management issues. It just sorta got away from me. You don't need to read all of that to work this issue though, just do the following.

You can confirm or discount the sensor error condition by installing aLogcat and looking for MLUpdateData error (code 26) messages in your system log. If you see any, that's the problem, and there will be very many -- about 20 per second. If you do this, please post back and let me know what you observed in the logs. To see the errors, the screeen rotation lock switch must be unlocked (slid to the left). Locking screen orientation pauses the output of the errors.

The workaround is to use the pinhole button to perform a hardware reset, and then avoid powering down your tablet when practical. I have not isolated any single app or other specific trigger, but this seems to happen to my tablet in about 50% of power ups after I have my favorite apps installed. I really have not done much testing with no apps installed, so I don't have enough data on the problem to tell for certain if it happens less with only the Acer provided apps.

After doing the hardware reset (pinhole), if I never power down and back up, I never see the problem. This appears to be a bug in the current a500 ICS version. I never observed it on Honeycomb.

I'm guessing that many people may not have noticed this problem, because like me they may tend to use the tablet in either landcape or portrait orientation. I didn't notice it until I saw a post about it. It also seems possible that it affects some hardware builds differently than others.

Sorry for the late check up.. was really busy month of May. By the way, yes the error popped out... and I rmb I did the pin hole reset once... the rotation worked... and I power it off... it lasted for few days but back to the same problem. Mine is still under waranty but I have no time to wait for them to fix it for me cos it will most probably take months before I get it back... thx for identifying the source... I have no idea bout all this things tho... I just only found out wat ICS means. XD

btmh

May 7, 2012
Mrhelper said:
Thanks so much. Check out the diff output below showing differences between the /system/build.prop file on your Australian a500 and the /system/build.prop file on my US a500.

The differences are the build dates, build IDs, and region codes. The region code difference makes some sense. I'm not sure I understand all of the reasoning though, because my a100 HC build id shows GEN1, not CUS1 like the ICS build on my a500.

I don't understand why your build version is 031 when mine is 033 though. I also wonder why there is difference of just over a week between the two builds. It seems peculiar that the US version that I received is over a week younger than the AU version that you received, but your older version was delivered a few weeks later. I suppose that this all could just be an artifact of their development process, but it still seems a little odd. The builds are certainly different in any case. It does leave me wondering about any code or configuration differences there are.

4,5c4,5
---
9,10c9,10
---
15c15
< ro.build.sku=PA_CUS1
---
> ro.build.sku=WW_GEN1
18c18
---
31,32c31,32
< ro.build.fingerprint=acer/a500_pa_cus1/picasso:4.0.3/IML74K/1333727375:user/release-keys
---
> ro.build.fingerprint=acer/a500_ww_gen1/picasso:4.0.3/IML74K/1333032611:user/release-keys

I don't understand this but its something that is different codes from different countries.. my Acer is Malaysia. But I saw made in China on. The box... so.. I am not sure. How do u check it?

btmh

May 7, 2012
Previously my digital clock with the weather crashed. And when I click report, the report site never open... unless by clicking the report it is already automatically reported.. but my tablet is slowly falling apart... its been a month and android still can't find a solution? Hope they are really looking into this matter...

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Previously my digital clock with the weather crashed. And when I click report, the report site never open... unless by clicking the report it is already automatically reported.. but my tablet is slowly falling apart... its been a month and android still can't find a solution? Hope they are really looking into this matter...

If you have not tried the factory data reset yet for some of your app issues, I suggest you do that. Backup any files that you wish to keep first, because it will wipe all user data from the device.

The sensor init problem is an annoyance, but a minor one for me. I don't see it that often, and when I do I either just lock the screen for a while to stop the error code 26s, or reset if I want the sensors. If you lock the auto rotate switch, the sensor problem does not appear to cause any symptoms other than the rotate issue. If I leave it unlocked, and the errors are occurring, the device seems to lag somewhat, but I have not tested enough to prove what that really means.

If you are seeing other problems besides the sensor init problem (auto rotate issue), then you should work those separately, because there may be other causes. Again, try the Factory data reset if you have not done that yet, and test before installing any apps. That won't fix the sensor init problem, but it may help you eliminate other problems. My tablet has the sensor init problem, but my a500 is otherwise working very well. Yours should be working well also regardless of that one issue.

Mamahnita

Nov 27, 2011
ok I updated my A500 sync doesnt work, wifi wont connect.
Can anybody help me out on a fix or patch?
Thanx

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
ok I updated my A500 sync doesnt work,
If you are referring to the program "Acer Sync" it is not supported with ICS.
wifi wont connect.
Can anybody help me out on a fix or patch?
Thanx
There are a number of threads dealing with wifi issues, but I suspect that there is probably so much information both good and bad, that it is becoming harder to find the useful information. It's hard to know which to try first.

Try the following options in order. Hopefully one of the easier selections (early in list) will work:

1.) Go to Settings--Wifi, and toggle wifi off, and then back on. Watch the progress of the connection there to discover more information about the problem. You can post that here for further assistance.

If that does not work:
2.) Boot your router/AP.

If that does not work:
3.) Perform a hardware reset of the tablet by pressing the pinhole reset button on the lower right corner of the tablet.

If that does not work:
4.) Go to Settings--Wifi, and delete all of the APs that you have configured. If there is only one, then delete that. Then add it back in and see if that helps.

If that does not work:
5.) Try connecting your tablet to a public wifi network, or test using the router of a friend. If the tablet works with other routers/APs, but not yours, ensure that the router/AP firmware is up to date.

If that does not work:
6.) Backup any data that you wish to keep, and perform the Factory data reset. Again, backup any data you wish to keep to a external storage beforehand, because the Factory data reset will wipe all user data from the tablet, and leave it as if you had never used it (but still running ICS if it has been updated to that).

Factory data reset is under Settings-->Backup & reset. Follow the onscreen instructions.

If you are still having problems after exhausting all of those options, consider providing more detailed information with respect to the problem, such as:
* what you see when you watch the activity in Settings-->Wifi for the AP you are trying to get the tablet to connect to with. You may be able to see it cycle through various stages -- e.g., searching, associating, getting IP address, etc.
* your router/AP make and model
* what type of wifi security you use -- e.g., WPA, WEP, etc.

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011

4,5c4,5
---
9,10c9,10
---
15c15
< ro.build.sku=PA_CUS1
---
> ro.build.sku=WW_GEN1
18c18
---
31,32c31,32
---

I was just comparing what I got from Gilles in France and you may be interested.

So the Part No on the box is not the one I gave you (which comes from software System Info).
The one on the box is : XE.H6LEN.001 MFG Date : April 2011

Operated Countries (by the box) : AT BE CY CZ DK EE FI FR DE GR HU IE IT LV LT LU MT NL PL PT SK SI ES SE GB IS LI NO CH BG RO TR

That may also have an influence. Note Australia isn't in there. But my sister is in DK and got her update at least before I (in FR) did... And it's the same country lot...

Gilles.
Mrhelper, you'll notice the difference especially the operated countries. His manufacture date is the same month as mine. And notice the similarities below in the build file.

FLEX Version : Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1
Build number : Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1

Same Flex and Build as mine.

ro.build.version.incremental=1333032611
ro.build.version.sdk=15
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.0.3
ro.build.date=Thu Mar 29 22:51:13 CST 2012
ro.build.date.utc=1333032673
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=pandora
ro.build.host=pandora03

I noticed that Gilles quote the operating countries. Maybe AU/NZ follow GB (Great Britain) for sub version 31. I'm not sure. His ro . Build.date is the same as yours but the utc build date is the same as mine.

ro.build.description=a500_ww_gen1-user 4.0.3 IML74K 1333032611 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=acer/a500_ww_gen1/picasso:4.0.3/IML74K/1333032611:user/release-keys

Just more useless info I suppose - but who knows...
:confused:
Douvie.

Last edited: