Ice Cream Sandwich Device List

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Acer tech support just confirmed that they are currently working on Android 4 for the A500 & will release it OTA; no time frame was given.

Thanks for the tip. A large update is coming to the list soon - as far as I remember a whole WHACKLOAD of devices have been confirmed to recieve ICS since my last update.

Also, I'm going to be hosting a blog soon with the list among other things, for anyone interested. Of course, the list will continue to be updated here as well.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Kamex009

Nov 12, 2011
@Walkop: Hi , thank you for compiling this list, I want to ask you how much you recommend getting the Asus Transformer that you have? It will be on sale for $250 at Bestbuy for black friday (which means camping out from wednesday ) , how happy are you with it and/or would you buy a different model/vendor (except the Prime of course ), thanks in advance!

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
@Walkop: Hi , thank you for compiling this list, I want to ask you how much you recommend getting the Asus Transformer that you have? It will be on sale for $250 at Bestbuy for black friday (which means camping out from wednesday ) , how happy are you with it and/or would you buy a different model/vendor (except the Prime of course ), thanks in advance!
I would definitely recommend it. For that price, it is basically unbeatable - the versatality alone is quite good. I myself would most definitely purchase the Keyboard dock as well ($100 more). The screen is excellent, it is speedy, has a good selection of apps - and, again, the pricepoint is really good.

The only complaints I have are the build quality (the rear is made of a slightly flexy plastic), and possibly the sound. Neither of these are dealbreakers, they are just the worst parts of the unit. When I say "worst", that is of course relatively speaking. Nothing on the unit is terrible, or really bad. The sound and build are just not the best on the market. But basically everything else is great.

Myself, I really do like ASUS and their ideas for a tablet - but I also like Samsung. Those would probably be my two top brands (although I would choose the ASUS over Samsung still).

Maui9

May 29, 2011
the razr is pretty nice and smooth i just put up a review on it

Last edited by a moderator:

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
I'm contacting Acer as we speak for a comment on the issue regarding the ICS update for the A500 and A100. Hopefully I'll get something better than "no comment" ;)

Edit: I've contacted Acer. I'm awaiting a response.

The body of the message is below.
Dear Acer Inc;
I'm contacting you today on behalf of those at the Android Tablet Forum regarding Google's Ice Cream Sandwich Android OS, and your Iconia line of Android Tablets.

Recently, I've created a list of Android devices confirmed to recieve the Ice Cream Sandwich update, and some of expressed curiosity if your Iconia tablets will get the Ice Cream Sandwich update. Apparently, one of your support techs confirmed that the A500 would recieve the update, but there was no word on the Iconia (the contactee didn't ask about it); so I thought I would contact you myself to get a more concrete answer.

So, will the Iconia A500 and/or the A100 recieve the update? If so, do you have any idea on a general release date? (Even something as general as a Quarter would be acceptable). We all appreciate it.

Thanks for your time!
Regards
Walkop

P.S. link to the forum where the discussion is taking place: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/ice-cream-sandwich/25074-ice-cream-sandwich-device-list.html

Last edited:

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
I recieved a response, although it was a bit...general.

Dear Walkop,

Thank you for contacting Acer. My name is Able and Badge Number GWSI1194. I’ll be happy to assist you with this issue.

After reviewing your email, I understand that you have a concern regarding Android operating system.

In order to assist you better and to ensure you receive full support for the product that you own, we would like to have the serial number of tablet. We recommend you verify the correct serial number which is a 22 or 13 alphanumeric character or 11 digit SNID number.

There is no physical label with the serial number on the Iconia Tab A500, but there is a label with the tablet's SNID number on the underside of the MicroSD/SIM card cover. Also, both the serial number and the SNID number can be found in the tablet's menus. To locate both the serial and SNID numbers, simply follow the steps below:

- From the Home Screen, tap on Apps, and then Settings.
- Tap on About Tablet, and then Device Information.

For further clarifications please feel free to visit our website: Acer Support: Welcome to Acer Support

Thank you for contacting Acer.
Have a great day!

Respectfully,
Acer America
Online Technical Support

I replied asking for more clarification, so I'm just waiting for another response (hopefully more helpful).

Dear Able;

I brought out in my email that I was contacting you on behalf of those of the Android tablet forum, and that I was also contacting you about the A500 AND the A100 tablets.

I myself own neither, so I can't provide you with a specific serial number. If you absolutely require one, I might be able to procure one from one of the owners on the forum but I would prefer not to. If you can help me without it it would be greatly appreciated.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Acer just contacted me once more, answering my previous inquiry.
Thank you for contacting Acer America. My name is Pradeep, badge number GWSI1022. I'll be happy to assist you.

After reviewing your email, I understand that you have a concern regarding Android operating system.

Walkop, Ice Cream Sandwich is currently not available for the A100/A500 but we are considering a possible update in the future. Now we do not have information about estimated time of release of this update. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Please feel free to visit our web site http://support.acer.com/.

Have a great day.

Respectfully,

Acer America
Online Technical Support

I replied again, hoping to get a more specific answer:
That is very helpful; however, is there any way that you can confirm that it will come to the tablets? I don't need a specific date, but simply a confirmation that it will eventually arrive.

Their answer:
Dear Walkop,

Thank you for contacting Acer America. My name is Pradeep, badge number GWSI1022. I'll be happy to assist you.

After reviewing your email, I understand that you have a concern regarding operating system update.

Walkop, we are sorry to to inform you that we do not have that information at this moment.

Please feel free to visit our web site Acer Support: Welcome to Acer Support.

Have a great day.

Respectfully,

Acer America
Online Technical Support
So, it seems a bit automated, predefined - but it seems so far that the tablets may get an update, they are considering it, but they definitely aren't in the mood to confirm anything just yet.

Also, Flash Player has been confirmed to be coming to ICS, even though mobile development has officially "ceased". Added to original post.

Last edited:

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
That is sad. One can only hope that their response to aserious support question would be more informative.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
I completely agree. C'mon Acer, at least give us something...

Perhaps they simply don't want to release that information yet; although it seems much more likely that they simply haven't reached a decision or want to avoid bad press associated with not providing the update. If they don't, a lot of A500/A100 owners will be quite up in arms, that's for sure.

But some information, even if it's negative, is better than no information. Don't keep us in suspense, Acer ;)

Rogue65

Nov 22, 2011
First time here, so I hope I do this right. I saw a post stating the A100/A500s would get ICS possibly in January '12.

Sent from my A100 using Android Tablet Forum

rjm2140

Sep 2, 2011
I emailed Acer support & asked when I could expect the update to ICS - Android 4. Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting Acer America. My name is Abin and Badge Number GWSI661. I'll be happy to assist you.

As per your mail, I understand that your Iconia is having some issue regarding Android updates.

I have verified the serial number and found that it is covered under standard limited warranty.

Please be informed that, we do not have the exact date of release of the updates, you will get a pop up regarding the updates when it is available.

For further clarifications, please feel free to visit our web site http://support.acer.com/.

Have a great day!

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
I emailed Acer support & asked when I could expect the update to ICS - Android 4. Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting Acer America. My name is Abin and Badge Number GWSI661. I'll be happy to assist you.

As per your mail, I understand that your Iconia is having some issue regarding Android updates.

I have verified the serial number and found that it is covered under standard limited warranty.

Please be informed that, we do not have the exact date of release of the updates, you will get a pop up regarding the updates when it is available.

For further clarifications, please feel free to visit our web site Acer Support: Welcome to Acer Support.

Have a great day!

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum
Again, real vague although most of the messages I've recieved seem to be hinting at the fact that they may very well support the update. It's strange, really; c'mon, Acer, your customer support has got to be better than that!

Oh well, maybe we'll get some more info later on.