Ice Cream Sandwich

mpw27

Aug 28, 2011
Guys,

Just a quick question, and I know technically it isn;t the right section, but I'm a little confused.

The next release, due October/November is a "merger" of both Ginger and Honey.

Now, the question is, if I purchase say a Samsung 10.1 today, and it has Honeycomb 3.1 on it, is it easy/can I upgrade it to the new ICS?

mpw27

Aug 28, 2011
217 views and no one knws the answer to this question?

Thought this was THE resource site for Android?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
Guys,

Just a quick question, and I know technically it isn;t the right section, but I'm a little confused.

The next release, due October/November is a "merger" of both Ginger and Honey.

Now, the question is, if I purchase say a Samsung 10.1 today, and it has Honeycomb 3.1 on it, is it easy/can I upgrade it to the new ICS?

Technically the answer is yes the big unknown is when samsung might officially support it

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

mpw27

Aug 28, 2011
Thanks for responding Anima :)

So the very real prospect is that they will likely support it, more a question of when.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
Yes.

However, any new products that do use ICS are apparently (under "standardized updates") guaranteed to run the latest version of the Android OS for a minimum of 18 months otherwise they cannot use the OS. Rule of the Open Handset Alliance ;)

Good for Google! Finally, a absolute update period for tablets and phones.

mpw27

Aug 28, 2011
So does this apply to Honey then? Thus the update would be forth coming as Honey is less than a year old and ICS is coming out in 2 mths?

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Ice cream is goen to be more of a mobile os at this time, (jelly bean 4.0) will be for tablets but android 2.4 will be capable for any android device.
The droid prime will be the device to be released with 2.4 on verizon networks

Sent from my Ally using Android Tablet Forum