Iconia Honeycomb 3.1 update and Root..

zealouz

May 26, 2011
I read that the Iconia Tab is extremely easy to root (have not done it yet) but I have a question about rooted devices.

If I were to root my tab would I be able to update to 3.1 Honeycomb in early June via the supposed over the air method that will be used or will the rooted device require a manual update? Don't want to root my tab until I know all the pros and cons...thanks in advance.

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
Worst case you just unroot when the update comes out. I just did the new update from today without unrooting mine and it worked. The big thing with the Iconia is not to remove the stock programs or you will not be able to update. You can remove them but you need to save a copy somewhere and replace them before you update.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Here is a general answer to this question (which does get asked a lot)...

Once a device is rooted, it can be un-rooted
Once a device is flashed, it can be restored to stock

Rooted devices can sometimes receive OTA updates and sometimes can't, but I have yet to see a case where if there IS an OTA, the dev community has not taken it as an opportunity to at least harvest what goodies are included and providing that functionality elsewhere, or as a manual update.

Hope this helps, in a general sense

zealouz

May 26, 2011
@ nrage23 You stated that you did the 3.1 update already? if so, where did you find it? Acer.usa site?

Thanks for the quick responses...gonna have to learn some more about all this rooting stuff before I try it. I will definitely be doing a lot of research via searches and the android forums.

The rooting process for the Iconia Tab using gingerbreak seems so EASY though...i do like easy!

Maybe I'll just wait to do the update to 3.1 then wait for someone to root that version...

May 10, 2011
3.1 isn't out for the iconia yet. Nrage23 was referring to the update that came out yesterday in the US. It just patched some bugs such as screen waking up, GPS and wifi issues, and I'm not sure what else.

Jun 15, 2011
Just thought it may be useful to people to know that I have been talking to the Acer AusNZ guys on Facebook, and they have let me know that 6/23 is the planned date for 3.1 roll-out down under.

$fbiconia.jpg

chubsky

Jun 11, 2011
I used the tweaked version of gingerbreak from the xda forum and it roots well. I'm using titanium backup to freeze bloatware.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Chaps,

The big 3.1 has hit ICONIA TABs in Kyneton in Downunder (Australia). 3 tabs in this household have been updated. Everything seems to be working fine. Improved wireless connection & USB support. Less buggy I noticed!

hunted

Jul 4, 2011
well wife and i both have a500 we got an update but it still shows 3.0 so not sure what the update was? i got mine at about 11:00 and the wife this morning at 5:30! still not sure though;-{ Has anyone got any idea or seen any app that checks the android version or what level of update it is at?

msteve

Jul 15, 2011
Still showing 3.01......no 3.1 update in NZ yet???

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
From what I understand they pulled the update after a few people had problems. Mine is now on 3.1 and it is fine.

Pete