ICOO D90W 9.7 inch tablet

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. There is no ICOO section but the ICOO tablets are allwinner based.

As anyone who reads my posts will know I am a fan of the ICOO D50 Lite tablet. It works very well for a tablet that cost less than 90.00. And I mean very well. I have purchased name brand tablets for near 3 times that price that don't come close to working as well as the D50 Lite does.

Having had such great luck with three of these tablets I decided to order the ICOO D90W. At a cost of aprox 230.00. I have to honestly say I can not recommend this tablet.
The D50 yes, the D90W no.
It looks good, looks a lot like a IPad2, almost the exact same size, has great specs and all but runs very poorly. It is slow even with a 1.5ghz processor and 1gig of ram, it is very slow, the screen is very unresponsive, doing a simple search on line is a slow and painstaking process, the keyboard is cluttered with Chines symbols when the tablet is set to English, I had to buy a third party keyboard app to clean it up, the tablet does not come with spell check or predictive type which is a blessing and a curse. So I had to be sure that the keyboard I bought included those as well.
Netflix does work on the D90W where it doesn't on the D50, but there are a ton of apps that work on the D50 and almost every other android tablet and phone that do not work on the D90W. No AngryBirds at all. No Net based radio apps will work, It came with Fruit Ninja but the FN on the PlayStore says it is not compatible.
Going in to my PlayStore acct and going down the list of previously installed apps on other devices, the list is long but less than 10 percent work on the D90W. I doubt it is a allwinner issue since the D50 is also a allwinner device and most all those same apps work on it. I suspect that a very large majority of the problems with this tablet are ROM related. The hardware seems ok but the ROM on this device is less than good. ICOO fell on their faces putting this particular OS/ROM together for this tablet.
My Lenovo A1 has half the hardware specs and works twice as fast, It does have GB on it and not ICS but still................
Volume is not bad, the D90W plays videos very well which seems kinda backwards, video etc works great but web searches are slow and lethargic. It may be more the bad rom on the device than a bad device, but no matter how you look at it the tablet is a under performer for the price. 2.7 inches on the screen and a good boost in spec is not worth the money over the 7 inch model when the 7 inch model cost 140.00 less and runs rings around the more expensive model.
I will say this for the D90W though. I smells in almost every department, but it has a nice camera on it. It is only 2 megapixel but it takes the pictures fast and they are clear and sharp. One bit of software that the ICOO department got right first time out.

Maybe with a good camera app this might turn in to a good if not large on the go camera. Video is very poor, in fact video is useless on this tablet. Blurry and jerky, sound is little better on the video. But it does take nice pictures.

If you are in the market for a small tablet in the 200 to 300 price range, skip the ICOO D90W, l believe if ICOO took this ROM back to the drawing board and did it right, they could do a OTA update that would turn this tablet in to a great low cost contender. For now it is none of the above.
My two cents for what its worth.

Last edited:

kingbrowne

Apr 24, 2012
The Icoo D90W may not be as bad as the first impression. Most of the earlier Allwinner tabs had similar problems; very slow browser and not compatibility issues with most games and Google Play.

The solution was to root the tab, making it appear to the Play that it was a Samsung I9000 or similar and switching to another browser, for example Opera. Most tablets were successfully updated using a scrip by Lordsbm and others. The scrip removed the unwanted chinese programs, give the unit a false ID and loaded more relevant stuff. Give it a shot.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
While I thank you for the responce. I am the last person you want tinkering around with these things. It would be easier for me to brick the tablet than to turn it off.
The big problem with following directions on rom replacing is that all the directions and instructions are written for people who have a understanding of what they are doing.
I would need full and precise directions written for a person who has no clue of how to do what you suggested. Directions that are exact step by step. I have never seen directions as simplified, broken down yet detailed enough that a tablet novice like me could understand them.
I have gone to sights in the past looking for simple directions and have never made it through the first paragraph before they lost me.
All the directions I have ever read are written by people who know exactly what they are doing for people who have a clue as to what they are doing. And I am neither of those.
As you suggest though. I figured the problem was in the rom. Just wish there was someone local that could do it. Cause like I said. It would be a brick if I tried.

Sent from my A1_07 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: