ICS and Facial Recognition

scubarob56

Jan 22, 2012
Does anyone know why Acer A500 doesn't have tha facial recognition feature and if so, how does one get it?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I am not 100% sure on the Acer, but I know that ASUS has blocked it on their ROMs ( face unlock). Some 3rd part ROMS have it enabled. I have tried it on a few of the rooted ROM's and honestly, not all that impressed. First, any picture (even a picture taken with the front facing iPhone 4 camera can fool it). Also, I wear glasses some days, contacts the other. I have to do it without glasses or when I wear contacts it will never unlock, so taking off my glasses each time is kind of a pain. Also, face unlock also breaks the panoramic picture capaibility of ICS. If you have face unlock enabled, camera will crash every time you choose to take a panoramic picture.

IMO it is just better to use a pattern as face unlock is more of a gimmick than real security.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Turns out face unlock is pretty much just a gimmick and Google has for the most part dropped it for lack on interest. They had a good idea but realized there were some problems and for the most part the OEMs themselves decided not to go with it on devices. So now it is sort of a hyped feature that didn't really make its way into use.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
i use an app called Visidon which is a much better implementation of face lock - best is it works with ICS as well as HC - you can lock/unlock specific apps along with the phone log in - especially helpful if you lend your tab to someone

sure it can be fooled if you try hard enough but for those everyday quick check things it is pretty effective

Turns out face unlock is pretty much just a gimmick and Google has for the most part dropped it for lack on interest. They had a good idea but realized there were some problems and for the most part the OEMs themselves decided not to go with it on devices. So now it is sort of a hyped feature that didn't really make its way into use.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think it is a good idea an an app such as Visidon makes more sense for the feature. It doesn't look like Google is going to do very much with it though.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
yeah i think Google is leery about overpromising it as a security feature -

I think it is a good idea an an app such as Visidon makes more sense for the feature. It doesn't look like Google is going to do very much with it though.