ICS dumb question!

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

I have ICS and so far so good! Here's my dumb question. My tablet is not used daily so when I'm done I do a full power down. When I boot up all the apps that are set to auto update do so. No big deal. On Honeycomb there would be notifications for each app that completed the auto update and you would tap on one of the notifications and a message box would come up saying the update was successful and you tap on the X and the notification would be gone. However in ICS I tap on the notification and the app opens up. That's not what I want to do! I just want to dismiss the notification. Can that not be done in ICS?

Thanks,
Gerry

biking4jesus

Aug 27, 2011
Yes, it can. I had the same experience you did and was very frustrated. Then I accidentally swiped one of the notifications, and it dissappeared. Just swipe them to the left (out of the list) and they'll disappear. This also works in the app history list. Now that I've gotten used to it, I like it better, since I often missed the little X and launched the app or closed the notification bar before.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That is correct, you can actually swipe them either direction to remove them from the list. If there are multiple entries you want to clear at the same time a little x pops up in the lower right corner below the notifications. Touch the x to clear the whole list :)

J

jimbo7630

Uurgh, cobwebs in the Ice Cream? sounds disgusting! lol.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Uurgh, cobwebs in the Ice Cream? sounds disgusting! lol.

Better than Spiders in your ice cream!

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the info. This swiping of the notifications was total news to me but it sounds cool! Next time I turn it on I'll give it a try.

Thanks again,
Gerry