ICS for Acer Iconia A500

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
Still no update on my a100. I have been told that I will get it,, just be patient. I have a gen2 3.2, I'm tired of waiting but my tablet is still under warranty so I can't try to do it myself effort fear of bricking it. Don't wanna root either. Is there even a rom for unrooted devices?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Still no update on my a100. I have been told that I will get it,, just be patient. I have a gen2 3.2, I'm tired of waiting but my tablet is still under warranty so I can't try to do it myself effort fear of bricking it. Don't wanna root either. Is there even a rom for unrooted devices?

The 100s just started updating the 500s started getting the update first. Give it some more time.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Why are some tablets updated but not all? I can not get my 500 updated.

They update in waves. It doesn't get pushed to everybody at the same time. According to an "insider" Acer has very limited servers and so the waves are very slow. You need to have the preliminary updates before you get the ICS update. If you have missed the sequence it may take some time to get back to you or it may still just be on it's way to you for the first time. Make sure you have the preparatory updates and then just sit back and continue to use your A500 like you normally do until the update hits.

Sewal46

Sep 16, 2011
Updated to 4.03 on A500 this morning, Tuesday, in Brisbane Australia. No problems so far. Flash updated, Kobo works. Have not had time for a really good look at it.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
J515OP said:
They update in waves. It doesn't get pushed to everybody at the same time. According to an "insider" Acer has very limited servers and so the waves are very slow. You need to have the preliminary updates before you get the ICS update. If you have missed the sequence it may take some time to get back to you or it may still just be on it's way to you for the first time. Make sure you have the preparatory updates and then just sit back and continue to use your A500 like you normally do until the update hits.

I got 3 updates this morning, last one was ics. I have a gen2 a100. Works good so far.....

Seamus

May 8, 2012
Just updated my A500 to 4.0.3 and now find that iview doesn't work. I have what looks like a dice in the middle of the screen with question marks on the sides.
Anyone got any suggestions? Do I have to update a video driver or something?

daveloves

Apr 1, 2012
hi, i noticed a few things that did not work right after updating. a couple seem to be fine a the next couple times i turned it back on. The iview program i can not be sure but i would uninstall it, and redown it afterwards. might even reboot it first then redownload. It's about the best thing i can think of. hope it works out for you.

Sewal46

Sep 16, 2011
As part of the update process I noticed that applications were also updated. Here in Australia on my A500, version 4.03, ABCiview is working. Also seems to have lost the triangular flash that used to spoil iview.

daveloves

Apr 1, 2012
speaking of the flash i read from acer,s website that flash would not work after the update but will be updated later. sure it has an effect on hd viedos as well.

tonyselon

Jul 23, 2011
Updated Iconia A500 to ICS yesterday (London UK) and no problems with wifi in fact it is more stable than with Gingerbread. Bonus is that Flash works too but only with the default web browser I.e not with Firefox.
Tony

daveloves

Apr 1, 2012
Also said that the Acer Sync will not work. I am still waiting for a patch for that as well. I did notice that the youtube videos seem to work just fine.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Also said that the Acer Sync will not work. I am still waiting for a patch for that as well. I did notice that the youtube videos seem to work just fine.

All seems to be working fine over here. There are 2 other A500's and they are working fine too. Before the ICS upgrade, wmv would not play even though they played on my phone. With the upgrade it all works fine.

JShepp

May 21, 2012
ICS has a lot of advantages, but it has made my book apps garbage. It took away night mode from Lumiread and also took out the ability for it to look like a book. Why would the update target lumiread and make it suck? I don't understand. Help me fix this people. Has anyone found a way to get night mode back and the way to make it look like it is a book again?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
ICS has a lot of advantages, but it has made my book apps garbage. It took away night mode from Lumiread and also took out the ability for it to look like a book. Why would the update target lumiread and make it suck? I don't understand. Help me fix this people. Has anyone found a way to get night mode back and the way to make it look like it is a book again?

It isn't the ICS update targeting anything, the app just needs to be updated by the developer to work better with the new Android. Give the developers some time and they will probably correct the app. You may also reach out to the developers to let them know your issues, which might assist them in their update of the app for ICS.