ICS is not stable this moment

Justinyao

May 5, 2012
ICS is not stable this moment. After upgrade to ICS, the battery life becomes short and you may not turn on wifi.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
Justinyao said:
ICS is not stable this moment. After upgrade to ICS, the battery life becomes short and you may not turn on wifi.

Did u try to reboot or soft reset? I've not had any problem. Could be with the number of memory ur using as well. I know any time I have issues, I force stop apps or uninstall the ones I'm not using.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
ICS 4.0.3 looks very stable on my stock unrooted tablet.
What tablet are you using?

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012

It depends on the manufacturer. ICS 4.0.3 on my Acer Iconia A500 is very stable. It took Acer a while but they got it (mostly) right. Memory and storage use as well as power consumption are improved relative to any of the HC versions (3.0, 3.1, 3.2.1) that were previously installed.

Similarly the ICS release for the Asus tranformers seems to be quite stable. Sony and Toshiba should be rolling out ICS 4.0.3 upgrades for existing tablets in June. Regardless of which tablet you have, one thing to be cautious about is compatibility with Google Earth and Market, although that doesn't seem to be an issue with the Acer Iconia series.

On the other hand I am playing with a Coby German upgrade of GB 2.3.3 to ICS 4.0.3 for the Coby Kyros 1126. Technically the Kyros 1126 sold outside the EU are not supported, however versions of the MID1126 sold elsewhere are identical. There are plenty of problems with bootup, access of the external microSD card, HDMI, and a few other items. memory use (as expected) is (about 30 MB) greater than GB 2.3.3, but reasonable. Storage management is improved, WiFi is actually more stable, and certain (unimplemented) functions (GPS, 3G phone, etc.) can be turned off (unlike GB 2.3.3) Access to Google Earth and Market are problematic as an unrooted tablet without patches is not recognized. The ICS desktop is much nicer than GB.

This version of ICS 4.0.3 is not stable at this time and it will be interesting to see how things play out.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I have to say ICS is quite stable on my TF101 (rooted running a nightly Cornerstone ROM). Even the stock ASUS tablets are extremely stable, minimal battery drain etc. after ICS update.

For best results, wipe data after update and restore your apps from the market. ICS is a totally new OS and may not play nice if you do not wipe.

b1lk1

Jan 15, 2012
When I had my TF101 I regretted ICS as it was just not as polished as Honeycomb and for me, it was inferior. Getting an Acer A100 soon, hoping they did a better job with ICS.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
When I had my TF101 I regretted ICS as it was just not as polished as Honeycomb and for me, it was inferior. Getting an Acer A100 soon, hoping they did a better job with ICS.

I am curious. What specifically did you find on the TF101 and ICS not being polished. Not wanting you to go out on a limb. Just wondering?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am curious. What specifically did you find on the TF101 and ICS not being polished. Not wanting you to go out on a limb. Just wondering?

This is a good question. Most often I see this posted to mean ICS is just different that what somebody has become use to. Specific examples are nice because they can point developers to apps that need updating or actual bugs in the OS update.

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
As I mentioned previously, ICS 4.0.3 on my Acer A500 is considerably superior to HC 3.2.1.

I now have ICS 4.0.3 running on a Coby MID1126, with the upgrade downloaded from the German Coby website. It took some work to get (most of) everything running, but at this point the MID 1126 runs smoother than it ever did under GB 2.3.3, with better memory, storage and resource management.

I think complaints about ICS as delivered by the major (and some minor) tablet manufacturers are exaggerated. It will be interesting to see how good the upgrades to ICS provided by Sony and Toshiba work out.

Kingsman

Oct 31, 2011
Justinyao said:

ICS 4.03 runs just fine with my upgraded Zenithink C91 with the firmware they released on 3-27-2012. I also bought an idolian Touch Tab 10 for my wife last week. I'd ordered a Zenithink C91, but was sent an idolian instead. This was a mistake, but it was OK. ICS 4.03 appears to be working fine on the idolian.

Also, battery life appears to be about the same on both tablets-that is about 5½-6 hours.

The Zenithink was rooted when I got it, the idolian wasn't.

Both tablets appear to be manufactured at the same plant. The box and the decal on the back of the tablets are different as is the position of the camera on the front of them. Otherwise, both tablets are physically identical. Other than the appearance of the logo and Android Man when you turn the tablets on, there is only one other difference between the two tablets, on the lower left side of the screen on the Zenithink, there is an icon that when pressed allows you to do a screen capture. Both tablets work flawlessly. By the way, there is no problem connecting with wifi.

Blessings,

Rob

Danohall

Jun 3, 2012
JonsZX2SR,

You said you downloaded an update on the German Coby website. I've looked around and didn't find any update section. (was using google translate) Do they have other updates/restores available....specifically for the 7042?

Thanks

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
As I mentioned previously, ICS 4.0.3 on my Acer A500 is considerably superior to HC 3.2.1.

I now have ICS 4.0.3 running on a Coby MID1126, with the upgrade downloaded from the German Coby website. It took some work to get (most of) everything running, but at this point the MID 1126 runs smoother than it ever did under GB 2.3.3, with better memory, storage and resource management.

I think complaints about ICS as delivered by the major (and some minor) tablet manufacturers are exaggerated. It will be interesting to see how good the upgrades to ICS provided by Sony and Toshiba work out.

Not exaggerated. Wait until you suffer one of the scroll lock/screen rotate issues. Many are frustrated. ICS is not bad and has fixed one or two my issues which I had with HC 3.2.1
But ...

It is unstable - web browsers crash - don't use CHROME uninstall it. Slows tablet to a crawl. And many other problems.