ICS nighmare

danley

Apr 27, 2012
Updated my Acer a500 to ICS this morning and now its all screwed up. It freezes on the boot screen when I try to power up, I have to try this many times before it takes. When I get I finally get on, instead of going into sleep mode it powers off and I have to go through the freeze on the boot screen again, this happens even if I power it off and try to power on. Once it's on, everything runs just fine, it's just getting it on that's the problem. It has always worked perfectly until the ICS update:confused:. Would appreciate any help.

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Updated my Acer a500 to ICS this morning and now its all screwed up. It freezes on the boot screen when I try to power up, I have to try this many times before it takes. When I get I finally get on, instead of going into sleep mode it powers off and I have to go through the freeze on the boot screen again, this happens even if I power it off and try to power on. Once it's on, everything runs just fine, it's just getting it on that's the problem. It has always worked perfectly until the ICS update:confused:. Would appreciate any help.

Try the factory reset, and then carefully test your system after each app you reload. Some popular task manager apps and posibly other apps are causing similar problems to what you have reported here... some much worse, and some not as bad. See the posts under "many issues with ICS update..."

jesuppes

Oct 13, 2011
I downloaded the ICS update helper from Google Play and made sure that all of my apps were updated, but have decided to hold off on the ICS update for now. I am seeing too many problems. When I tried to update to ICS, I got an error message that my wifi was not strong enough, which is not true. I think I'll chill a while until Acer works the "bugs" out.

Stormium

Apr 20, 2012
Have you tried 3rd party ROMs? I tend to find ROM chefs tend to test their stuff far more than the big companies do! It's definitely not a problem with ICS itself, I have a few devices on hand with it with no issues.

danley

Apr 27, 2012
Thanks for your advice; I contacted Acer and they told me to do another factory reset and I did and no change so they told me to send it in to get repaired (still under warranty). So last Monday that's what I did. They even paid for shipping.

tomsecreto

Aug 25, 2011
This problem sounds just like the problem i had BEFORE the ICS update and i have been running the A500 since last May with no previous problems.

I wound up with my tablet freezing (just the screen touch) and 3 trips to Acer and the final fix being a motherboard replcement, 2 screen replacements too.
Now the ICS update came out and has been working great, seems more stable as well.

I think, I have been in IT for many years, that there might be something wrong on the component side since when Googled the problem i found that the xoom & the Asus also had the same problem.

This was extra important to me since I had selected the Acer for the mobile client for our Biometric authentication product "VSSA" which is for the enterprise and needs the ability to plug a sensor into a "Host" capable UsB port. The tablet could be used by customers but will be used for demonstration so this reliability is very important. I must say that other than this one issue the A500 has been really great even works with my 649GB USB drive using the NTFS format, it sees and uses the entire drive. Also the VPN connects to the company
's network and the emulator (mocha) logs into the mainframe ever time.

I hpe this helps

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Well I'm one of those who hasn't had any major problems. Over the past week + I've done extensive testing of various apps, widgets and websites the A500 has not skipped a beat. I've put my A500 under a bit of a stress test opening almost half the apps.

ICS solved an issue I had trying to play wmv files.