Ideos S7 / Telstra T-Touch Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sungod88

Nov 22, 2010
Anyone think this tablet will go on sale at best buy on black friday. I wonder what the chances are because I didn't see it in the black friday ads online

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
The Huawei S7 tablet Best Buy is carrying is a decent unit, just wasn't for me. It was close, though.

Pros:
*Decent price at $299, should be about $249 compared to others, IMO.
*Resistive screen was very responsive, enough to not really be annoying at all. Some things were better with a stylus such as hyperlinks.
*Built nice, sturdy.
*was able to put in my AT&T SIM card and manually set up the APN and have 3G data and make phone calls even though BB's price tag said WiFi only.
*speakers are nice and loud. made a hell of a speaker phone!!
*I thought the custom UI was nice enough I didn't install Launcher Pro
*typing was good on the resistive screen.

Cons:
*Battery life of maybe 2-3 hour of use.
*WiFi would often not reconnect to same network after putting into standby and I'd have to turn WiFi off/on to get it to work again.
*can only charge with the AC adapter, USB does not charge it--VERY frustrating.
*I use the WiFi Tether on my Android phone and it *would not* see the wireless network even though dozens of other devices could including Windows laptops, iPads and iPhones.

I think six months from now the Android tablet market is going to explode with nice units.

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
The Huawei S7 tablet Best Buy is carrying is a decent unit, just wasn't for me. It was close, though.

Cons:
*Battery life of maybe 2-3 hour of use.
*WiFi would often not reconnect to same network after putting into standby and I'd have to turn WiFi off/on to get it to work again.
*I use the WiFi Tether on my Android phone and it *would not* see the wireless network even though dozens of other devices could including Windows laptops, iPads and iPhones.

I think six months from now the Android tablet market is going to explode with nice units.

If you were trying to tether the tablet to the phone as a client, be aware that as far as I know no Android device can connect to an Ad Hoc network, which is what Barnacle etc. produces. If there is a way to do that, let me know because I'd like to. So not really the S7 tablet's fault there. Also, I an not having the WiFi reconnect problem after sleep that you are describing, so it might be something with your particular setup.

tcat

Nov 17, 2010
I just looked at the BB ad today, says "8 gb memory, 512 gb ram". Is the 8 gb internal, AND you can add a 16 gb card... giving you 24 gb?

brachiopod: Thanks for the Intercept feedback, I just haven't had a chance to play with one (turned on), I feel the screen is too small to do much with other than phone calls. I have a VM phone plan at $5/mo. and don't use up those few minutes, so something larger in addition to that makes sense to me. I may wait for Q1, since there's bound to be a LOT of competition once everything goes to 2.2 or 2.3, or 3.0.

TheVicster

Nov 14, 2010
I just looked at the BB ad today, says "8 gb memory, 512 gb ram". Is the 8 gb internal, AND you can add a 16 gb card... giving you 24 gb?
yes, you have an internal sd card of 8gb for your use, and can add an external card

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
As promised, here are some comparison shots taken with the Huawei and with a Samsung Intercept and with a "real" camera.

http://picasaweb.google.com/1086832...?authkey=Gv1sRgCMDh-f-tp6CyPA&feat=directlinkhttp://picasaweb.google.com/1086832...?authkey=Gv1sRgCMDh-f-tp6CyPA&feat=directlink

View full screen for best effect.

Some things to note...

The front facing camera took a 2MP picture! I don't know if it was scaled up, or if the camera is really 2MP in spite of the specs... Also the front camera produces a mirror image! Sorry, it was hard to aim the front camera because I could not watch the screen. There is no photo information (exposure etc) with the S7.

Last edited:

alnova1

Nov 20, 2010
I ended up taking mine back today. I had had it for 2 days and had dead pixels. I don't think it a bad product but I might wait and pic one up when they come down in price...which everything does eventually.

shanksv

Nov 13, 2010
*I use the WiFi Tether on my Android phone and it *would not* see the wireless network even though dozens of other devices could including Windows laptops, iPads and iPhones......

I have not had any issues with wifi connecting or re-connecting. I tether the device to my windows mobile phone no problem. The issue is with Ad-hoc wifi connection and not the device to enable that you need to root the device and change the configuration a little. Follow instructions here I have infrastructure and adhoc working at the same time!! Do you want to? look here! I do not use the ADB method instead, I just use AndRootFile to copy it over to the right spot. I also believe adhoc networking is not supported by default in any Android tablet.

tcat

Nov 17, 2010
That's funny about the mirror image, front and rear look about the same (both pretty bad). Thanks for posting!

As promised, here are some comparison shots taken with the Huawei and with a Samsung Intercept and with a "real" camera.

http://picasaweb.google.com/1086832...?authkey=Gv1sRgCMDh-f-tp6CyPA&feat=directlinkhttp://picasaweb.google.com/1086832...?authkey=Gv1sRgCMDh-f-tp6CyPA&feat=directlink

View full screen for best effect.

Some things to note...

The front facing camera took a 2MP picture! I don't know if it was scaled up, or if the camera is really 2MP in spite of the specs... Also the front camera produces a mirror image! Sorry, it was hard to aim the front camera because I could not watch the screen. There is no photo information (exposure etc) with the S7.

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Looks like the mirror image front facing camera was a "feature" on the HTC EVO (Huawei) phone too, but that phone got a setting to turn it off. I can't find a setting for the S7.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^although I dont think the S7 will go on sale; perhaps your best bet is to keep an eye out for reward points bonuses; these are easily exchangeable for additional savings..

EDIT: take a lok at the main page of the forum,. there is a nice listing of various tablets on sale for BF;

Nov 22, 2010 - 9:31 PM - by gurgle

Here are some of the Tablet Black Friday deals. So, if in the US, and want to fight the crowds. You will find a varied list. I am sure I am missing some. I do not have the Black Monday. But that will be posted as well. Sorry for those of you not in the US. But you might be able to participate in the Online Offerings

Source.......... Model............... Price .........Personal Opinion
Amazon-------Archos 5/32Gb..... $205.00..... Not a bad deal BUT remember, this is not a 2.2 Android unit. But there is a community build for Froyo being developed.
-=-=-
BestBuy-------B&N Nook ...........$99.00....... It's the Nook, What else can I say
BestBuy-------Cruz eReader...... $159.99...... This will likely go fast
-=-=-
RadioShack----Samsung Galaxy Tab with Sprint 2year
.............................................$349. 99...... $50 off, I think this is offered elsewhere too
-=-=-
K-Mart--------7inch No Name..... $139 ..........Android 2.1 This is likely a newer Augen
-=-=-
Staples-------Viewsonic 10in...... $399.98...... One of the few 10 inch units
Staples-------Augen Color 7in..... $69.99....... This is one of the Cheapest tablets
-=-=-
Sears---------Velo Cruz Micro 7in..$249.99......Not bad price/Not a great price either
-=-=-
CVS-----------7inch Augen......... $98.88....... with 150 books
-=-=-
Menards Same as CVS................ $99.00........ with 150 books
-=-=-
VARIOUS------Pandigital 7inch..... $139-149..... HHGregg,Kohls,Sears
-=-=-
ToysRus-------Sylvania 7Inch...... $140.......... See Tipstir's comments

Last edited:

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
Now that Acer has made its formal announcement for its tablets I may just hold off for the time being (though it will be really hard for me).

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^keep in mind ACER Android is not coming out before April 2011; quite a long ways off...

Status
Not open for further replies.