Idnetity Pad E201 Bricked - any advice?

Th0r4z1n3

Feb 28, 2012
Hello guys, I re-uploaded the Booting file, follow the steps in my first post to see if it work for you, the firmware you can find it at the Identity web site. If you can work it out please let me know because a can't make mine work. Good Luck guys

Booting file

Hey thanks for re-uploading the file. :D I heard back from you and Wintec within minutes of each other, you guys aren't the same person are you? LOL. I'm gonna give the Wintec fix a try first, but that's mostly because I figure that if it effs something up I have a better chance of getting a replacement than if I tell them I useD "some file I got from some guy" (no offence intended) to try and fix it first. Basically they gave me a link to a firmware (v 11090709) that is supposed to have a fix for this built into it. I haven't tried it yet, because I'm still waiting for the download to finish, but I figured if I'm going to be staring at the screen for 45 minutes while it downloads I might as well find something to do while I wait.

Here's what I was told when I contacted them, the link he is referring to is one that I included to this thread in an attempt to get the file you just posted.

I tired the link you provided in your support ticket, but it would not load for me. I can’t verify what was explained or outlined, but the information contained in this email is accurate and helped a lot of customers. It is also possible that your tablet may not responded to any further updating. Typically when that happens, we are forced to replace the tablet. Please update to do the following update. NOTE: I have altered the directions since you do not have full functionality of the tablet. You will see the modifications in blue. Regardless of the outcome, please let me know via email to my email address below so I can update your support ticket.

Please watch the video first then read the instructions, and perform the update.
Here is the YouTube video for the installation of the newest firmware:

How to update the firmware for the Identity Tablet - YouTube

1. Please follow the link under - "There is a firmware fix for this issue":
:::: IDENTITY ::::
2. Save the file named "e201firmware.img" (158 MB) to the desktop of your computer or laptop (remember where you saved it since you will need to locate it later). In order to now transfer the file to the SD card, your computer/laptop may be equipped with a flash card reader. If not, you will need to purchase this accessory unit prior to completing the next step.

3. (NOTE: An SD card with sufficient free space – 160MB - is needed for this next step) Insert an SD card into your tablet. Connect the tablet to your desktop/laptop computer. Copy the file; "e201firmware.img" (158 MB) from your computer to the SD card previously mounted in the tablet. (You may already have purchased and mounted an SD card on your tablet. This SD card can be used to accomplish the firmware update download as long as it has enough free space as mentioned above. It is not necessary to purchase another SD card just to complete any firmware update if you already have one mounted with sufficient free space available)
4. Once you've completed the download of the firmware file, safely dismount your SD card from your computer by Right clicking on it and choosing, 'eject', following the instruction sequence. Then remove the SD card from your computer/laptop/reader. The following steps will take you through the actual mounting of the SD card on your tablet and the firmware update action.
· Please ensure that the tablet is turned off.
· Insert the SD card into the tablet
· Plug the tablet into a charging source, most typically use the A/C Wall Charger that came with the tablet.
· Open the SD Card flap again and push the reset button located all the way to the left with a paperclip, please do not use anything sharp.
· The tablet should show you the update screen and move past the Android Robot or the Identity tomorrow screen.
· Skip step 5.
· Go to step 6 -12 to verify the SW Version.

5. Open the flap at the top of your FileMate Identity Tablet and insert the SD card properly/correctly. NOTE: The SD card only goes in one way! Failure to insert the SD card properly will cause damage to your FileMate Identity tablet and your SD card.
6. Tap on the Application's Icon
7. Tap on Settings
8. Tap on Privacy
9. Tap on Terminal Initialization
10. Agree to the Terminal Initialization
11. The Tablet will reboot. It will take more time than usual. Please be patient as it reboots.
12. To verify that the firmware upgrade has taken place, please do the following:
Tap on Applications Icon > Settings > About System >SW Version. It should read” 11090709
Thanks
Charles Friday
Customer Support Team
Wintec Industries

...29 minutes to go... don't know why this download is taking so long, maybe I'm just having a bad internet-connection day. Anyway, hope this helps you out. :D

EDIT: OK so I got my tablet working, no thanks to Wintec. Apparently the file that Tech Support gave me, was the same firmware that I had already downloaded from their website. When I put it on the memory card and hit the hard reset, it did nothing; it just got hung up on the same Identity Tomorrow splash screen with no pop up that said updating software. This was my first clue that it was the same file that I already had.

So I figured I'd give lgcb's process a try now that I had the file that was supposed to fix the initialization process... IT WORKED! Thanks a heap for re-uploading it BTW. After I used that file and got the Andro-Boy splash screen, I decided to use the firmware that I downloaded from the Identity Tab site last week instead of the file I just got from their Tech Support. No problems with the install, and it started right up after about 10 minutes or so. Out of curiousity I decided to check the Software version that I was running and it was the same one that the Tech sent me a link to (v 11090709).

I'm not saying don't try it, but it didn't work for my particular problem.

Last edited:

Morisato

Mar 6, 2012
I signed up for an account to post this...

I have a Identity Tab E201U and I'm having issues with it as well. Originally, when I got it, it had SW Version 11033013 but it was doing weird stuff. The main issue originally was that I could not add my google account to it. It was capable of going online, but every time I try to use the wizard to add an account, it would say that my connection to the internet was unstable please try again later or something along those lines. I tried to do a factory data reset, but that didn't help. I did a hard reset with a paperclip and that didnt work. Every once in a while weird stuff would happen... like after a hard reset the homepage/desktop would have no icons or anything... after a factory reset, not all the items that should be in the menu were there... only about half of them... all around it was just janky stuff happening. Anyways, I reset it a couple of times and it goes back to what feels like good condition settings... but still, cant get a google account on it. Then finally, I come across this thread and an early post that says to use youtube app to add an account... I tried that and WOW it worked! but the overall OS still seems to be janky so I figure I'd upgrade the firmware. I download the official firmware off their website by putting my serial number at this location:

It gives me firmware 11090709 (166MB), so I go through the upgrading process and it goes off perfectly fine. The OS works great... nice and fast, no problems I can see... until I try to connect to the internet. Now I can't even get my wifi to work properly! This is even worse than before! I go into the settings and it's able to scan for near by wifi networks but I can't connect to mine. I entered my wifi password, it say's it's authenticating with my network but it never connects. I don't have any MAC filtering on it and it did connect BEFORE i upgraded the firmware so now I'm screwed. I tried turning off my wifi password and turning off the firewall too. I tried connecting and instead of getting stuck on authenticating, it gets stuck on obtaining an IP address. I tried factory resets and hard resets a few times and one time it was even having trouble scanning for wifi networks. I saved my network and I'm sitting right next to the router and it said it's not near by once too! So I tried downgrading my firmware hoping that that would work by downloading it off their website at:

Version 11033013 (156MB). Nope, didn't even try to flash it. I tried the 6 MB file in this thread and I went through that process and got it to flash, then loaded 11033013 and it did recognize it but got stuck on the first loading screen (android + ring image) so I went back to 11090709 version... and now I'm stuck and I don't know what to do. I'm thinking maybe I should pop it open and see if the actual wifi component is damaged but I don't even know how to pop the device open (a tutorial might help if... I saw the two images in this thread but I don't understand how it was popped open or where the screws are... plus, I have no idea what the wifi component looks like). I just don't know what to do anymore :(

I also did a google search for E201firmware.img and came across a 235MB file from here:

http://mystore.homelinux.com/download

Which I'm pretty sure isn't for this product, but that's such a coincidental name if it isnt for this product.

Another thing I tried was resetting my router as per the Wintec FAQs. Didn't work. What else should I do? Can anyone help?

tablet24

May 2, 2012
i also have a identity tab e201. i reset my tablet because the "sd card" was "damaged" so i restarted it and before that happened i had copied the contents of it to my computer in case this happened. so when the tablet got to its main screen i poped in the sd card and it still was damaged and i am so used to pressing the re-set button on the top that when it did it is now stuck on the android dude. here is my youtube video on what is like happeneing to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 30, 2012
I created an account just to post this. I followed the instructions that Th0r4z1n3 posted and it worked perfectly! I downloaded the firmware from the site and put it on the SD card. The Tablet was actually frozen from a previous attempt to boot so I tried one last time without the boot file, just the software; I reset the tablet, it booted up (took about 5-7 minutes), and now works perfectly, have not tried to add an account yet but I will update in a little bit. :D

Edit: Most everything works fine now. The market has an error at the moment but I don't believe it has anything to do with the account, it's just the Market. Also, does anybody know if the firmware can now be taken off of the SD card/ the SD card be removed? If the tab has to run off the SD card, it is fine, it just creates somewhat of an inconvenience.

Edit2: Accounts and sync work perfectly, you just might have to log in through YouTube like OP said. Market works fine now, I just restarted the tablet. Looks like it's as good as new. :cool:

Last edited:

ricrack

Jul 6, 2012
Thanx man for sharing, works fine on my "filemate identity" model ESP_E201U (e201), was bricked in green android screen !!.. greetings from mexico!

Hello guys, I re-uploaded the Booting file, follow the steps in my first post to see if it work for you, the firmware you can find it at the Identity web site. If you can work it out please let me know because a can't make mine work. Good Luck guys

Booting file

list9j

Aug 29, 2012
help with getting somone's sd card or some way to copy your sd card for firmware update 11090709 for the enspert identity e201u. all the enspert identity customer support avenues are gone. can't get intouch with wintec. samsung is no help on this matter. US office at 714-318-2232 for enspert in california only takes voicemail recordings and does not return calls. got emails back from enspert identity in korea with a postmaster indication in korean but since it says postmaster i am guessing my emails didn't go through. this sure is amazing for a tablet new to the market and no gps support except for this website. i'll pay for a sd card with the firmware update 11090709. i bought 4 of these tablets, one for me and 3 for my grandchildren and except for the gps being in limbo, running with no end!!, these seem to work great for us. We want the gps. i am a 61 year old grandmother that has spent 3 days on the internet trying to get to the firmware update to download to a sd card and every avenue goes nowhere. thanks to anyone that will help a 61 year old untechnical grandmother :)

sgautam71

Nov 30, 2012
Hello I have the same problem with mine, I wrote to Enspert and they told me the folowing:

========================================================

In order to solve your problem, you have to follow our instruction as stated below ;

1. Step I ;
- First, you need to down the attached file which is only 6MB.
- You need to copy it into SD card from PC and ;
l Plug SD card into SD slot of E201(if your E201 battery is run out already, you need to connect power adapter).
l Push hard reset button located at right hand side of HDMI port. It is small round hole.
l E201 will automatically process its initialization process and you will see one pop up message on the screen. That meaning is system is updating.
l When you see “Andro Boy Photo”, initialization is done. Then you need to get into Step 2.
l Please note that “Andro Boy Photo” shall remain until you get into Step II below.
-
2. Step II ;
- This is real process to upgrade the SW version. In order to do so, you have to download upgraded SW version from below download link.
- Once you complete your download to your PC, you must follow below process ;
l Copy it to SD card.
l Plug it into SD Card slot.
l Push hard reset button.
l Then E201 will automatically process its SW version upgrade.
l When you see basic idle screen, SW upgrade is done normally.
-
We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope this is a solution for your problem.

BR,

Brian.

============================================

I did every step over and over and I'm still stuck on the enspert logo that keeps rebooting. I will give you the links if you can solve your problem let me know. Thank you.

Links:
STEP 1 (Initialization)
STEP 2 (Firmware)

Dear Brian

I have the same problem and could not trace that which application is doing so. Once I reboot the system or shutdown, it never comes up.
Due to the closure of the megupload site, i could not download your uploaded files. Could you please upload the same files somewhere else, so that I can download and solve this problem.

Sanjeev