If you could go back to Gingerbread, would you?

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
I have two tabs one in GB and one in HC. If you could undo your Honey Comb, would you? Talk amongst yourselves.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have a momo8 the best thing about this tablet is i can choose which OS to use, 2.3.4, 4.0 ,4.0.3 switching between OS is less than 10 minutes, I have switched many times, I like 4.0.3 the best even though 2.3.4 everything works perfectly.

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
No my Vtab is way more useful and responsive with HC. Not to mention the storage issue with gingerbread.

Jim

IndyOne

Mar 12, 2012
No way would I go back to Gingerbread. Honeycomb seems to have brought longer battery time, way better browser, overall a better experience than Gingerbread in my opinion.

My only complaint is the stock Vizio VIA interface, not crazy about it, running Go Launcher HD instead.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for all the replys. We are doing a speed test on other thread. My GB is faster than the HC tablets so far. I agree with everyone the HC battery life and the SD card issue are important, but stable sure is nice. The new GB tablet in three days has not crashed once. My HC this morning crashed three times. Once in Dolphin, once in local paper app and once on start up.

DCRocks

Apr 19, 2012
I am still on GB, but that is only because I am unwilling to give up root access.

If I could gain root on HC, I would jump on it in an instant, but no matter what other gains HC brings, they do not overcome the loss of root on the device.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am still on GB, but that is only because I am unwilling to give up root access.

If I could gain root on HC, I would jump on it in an instant, but no matter what other gains HC brings, they do not overcome the loss of root on the device.

I'm basically in the same boat. However, the Vtab isn't my primary tinkering device (the Nooks are much better for this), and without any development community many advantages of root are not readily available. So I'm not sure I am really getting anything out of it. Of course if I decide to shift my focus and start tinkering with the Vtab having root is pretty much essential to being able to try and do anything for it.

Honeycomb is not out of the question but I'd rather have ICS. I'd give up root for a basically vanilla version of ICS on the Vtab.

JP

10amla

Mar 13, 2012
A couple of comments to several posters:

The OP, No I would not go back to GB.

IndyOne, I agree that the stock launcher isn't the best, but better than the GB one. I was using Go Launcher EX on GB prior to the upgrade and I'm still using EX post upgrade. I've tried Go Launcher HD and I like it quite alot. However it is not able to set wallpaper on the Vizio, that's why I'm still using EX. As the HD version matures it will be my launcher of choice for my tablet.

J515, tend to agree. I've not rooted since I've not seen a benefit that would out weigh the risk of bricking. In GB I was able to use the External-SD to store any large files (CoPilot maps) without root. HC makes that a non-issue now. However, like you, I could see the opportunity to upgrade to ISC as a sufficient benefit.

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
Wow, lot of greek or geek in these answers. I guess, if I can figure out how to stop the crashes, I will upgrade to HC. No hurry.

wlellis

Dec 23, 2011
No way! - Having apps on my SD card is worth too much, not to mention the better performance

DCRocks

Apr 19, 2012
without any development community many advantages of root are not readily available. So I'm not sure I am really getting anything out of it.

The major thing I use root for, is to backup and restore game data, but I also use root access for things like Droid Wall, to block access to WiFi for apps, and for LBE, to block specific permission for apps. Not as critical as on my phones, by still something that I like the ability to do.