If you forget your ICONIA's password YOU ARE SCREWED!!!!

ManuelAngelPR

Jun 2, 2011
I was reading a little at the Acer's support website and look at this!!!

"If you set up a PIN or Password lock on the tablet, there is no way to unlock it without using the correct input. If you cannot remember the correct input, the tablet must be sent in for service to remove the password.
Note: All of your personal information, all stored contacts and any programs you have installed on your tablet will be erased during the password reset process."

I think (correct me if I'am wrong) this is the consequence of locking down the freaking bootloader, right?

What do guys think? I would like to hear you opinion.

Last edited:

HD87

May 14, 2011
Right. which makes sense.. look at it like this.. what if someone stole your tablet but luckily enough you have a PIN or a pattern setup as the lock on it.. wouldn't it be dumb if all you had to do was HARD RESET the tablet to get passed the security.. with that reason alone its understandable.

ManuelAngelPR

Jun 2, 2011
Right. which makes sense.. look at it like this.. what if someone stole your tablet but luckily enough you have a PIN or a pattern setup as the lock on it.. wouldn't it be dumb if all you had to do was HARD RESET the tablet to get passed the security.. with that reason alone its understandable.

What I 'am saying is, with almost any device (eg Iphone, Ipod, mobile phones, laptops, router) you can just do a factory reset by pressing some buttons during the POST, or in case of a laptop simply call helpdesk, authenticate your identity and they give a master password.

I mean, will it be a deterrent for not getting stoled....

I think is not a smart move from Acer. I see people forgetting their password almost everyday in my line of work.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
What good is a password if it is so easily defeated...and who has master passwords for laptops?

Hal

Apr 10, 2011
Actually, I don't think you DO want my opinion. WooHoo! Acer. The first thing I want in security is complete, end-unit encryption. That is, I want it encrypted before it leaves my system. No one sees it. I don't want the website, vendor, or anyone else being able to decrypt or access my data. If you want Iconia, or it's employees, to have access to your data, you might as well simplify your life and just not set a password.

hkbb1000

Jul 10, 2011
1. Switch off
2. press vol+, hold, then press power
3. If display goes on: Release power but hold vol-up
4. Toggle Lockswitch (On->Off->On->Off)

youtube:

all user data (include pin & password) will be wipe off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reese1ar

Jul 6, 2011
I work for Target and a customer decided it'd be fun to password our display with the dots and draw pattern. I tried this trick today to see if it'd work, and it did not. It did look like it was doing a reset with the android guy and a ! icon, but no such luck getting the pattern taken off.

Jun 15, 2011
Well...if someone stole it and decided to send mine in for "service" then no worries because I registered mine and once reported stolen ACER would send it back to its rightful owner!

I think it is a fantastic idea that this was done in my opinion. If you forget your password then shame on you really. In my line of work, memorization is key and knowing your passwords is a HUGE responsibility.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Well...if someone stole it and decided to send mine in for "service" then no worries because I registered mine and once reported stolen ACER would send it back to its rightful owner!

Don't bet on Acer sending it back.
For all they know you could have sold it without giving the password. There is a legal limbo in returning allegedly stolen property.

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure i read or overheard that you have to send a police report to Acer if your unit is stolen for it to be flagged as stolen; I don't think that they will flag it stolen otherwise.

acertab

Aug 13, 2012
This works...i have an acer iconia a500 tablet. If you do it correctly it will say in small letters in upper corner erasing userdata. Then the screen went blank and it powered off but once i waited 2min and cut it back on it was back to factory default settings.
  1. Power off the tablet.
  2. Press and hold the Volume up button, which is located closest to the rotation lock.

Note: In landscape view, with the volume buttons across the top of the tablet, Volume Down is the lefthand button. In portrait view, with the volume buttons across the right side of the tablet, Volume Down is on the bottom.
  3. With Volume up button held, press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds then release it. Continue holding the Volume up button.
  4. Once the tablet vibrates, switch the touch screen lock switch on and off repeatedly while still holding the Volume up button.
  5. Release the Volume up button and stop switching the touch screen lock switch once the "Erasing Userdata..." message appears in the upper left corner of the screen.
  6. Once complete the tablet reboots and starts with the OOBE screen, at this point the tablet will have been restored to the factory default settings

Acer Support: Frequently Asked Questions list for Internal Only - What do I do if I set up a Pattern, PIN, or Password on my Lock screen but forgot it?

Jun 14, 2013
i face the same problem in acer iconia A500 tab. i solve to remove the password protection by using hard reset the device. Just do the following method..
you dont need to go acer service center. it is easy guys.................

1. turn off the device.
2. first unlock screen lock button. (hide red)
3. press volume up button+ power button until device vibret. when it vibrate release power button but continue pressing volume up button.
4. change screen lock button lock and unlock after one second continue holding volume up.
5. again the device vibrate remove the button n wait for some minute, follow the anguage setting.... n others
6. you have done, if u proceed correctly, otherwise follow same from step 1.

Done, no need to go

Jun 14, 2013
i face the same problem in acer iconia A500 tab. i solve to remove the password protection by using hard reset the device. Just do the following method..
you dont need to go acer service center. it is easy guys.................

1. turn off the device.
2. first unlock screen lock button. (hide red)
3. press volume up button+ power button until device vibret. when it vibrate release power button but continue pressing volume up button.
4. change screen lock button lock and unlock after one second continue holding volume up.
5. again the device vibrate remove the button n wait for some minute, follow the anguage setting.... n others
6. you have done, if u proceed correctly, otherwise follow same from step 1.

Done, no need to go[/QUOTE]