igg

igg

Sep 14, 2012
@ igg All fixed.:eek:

@ idontknow Your new signature does indeed make me happy.nd told us we could have the bloody thing back:cool:

Keep having fun,
Spider

Hey guys,I thought I had got lucky and got rid of the Zenithink as WE got brocken in to the other night and they pinched (took)the epad,well I was pretty happy about that in fact so happy I didnt report it to the police.
Well guess what, the guy who pinched it knocked on our door this morning and told us he didnt want the bloody thing,I even offered him a few dollars to keep it but he said noway and that he would just bide his time until we went out again and he would break in and flog the Asus transformer that we have.
We have a pretty hard motor cycle club over here called the Hells Angels so I am considering donating it to there Christmas appeal ,but Ill donate it in the name of a local bad cop that services our area , AND THAT SHOULD MAKE FOR INTERESTING NEWS.
Keep you posted on how it goes

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Tom T said:
You know, idontknow, you personally are one of the reasons I truly love this forum :)

I guess it's boring to live on an island in the company of beavers who want to eat your apple tree! :-D

igg

Sep 14, 2012
I guess it's boring to live on an island in the company of beavers who want to eat your apple tree! :-D
Yeah,Australia is a pretty big Island,and I guess I am pretty lucky as where I live in central Victoria I can drive south east for two hours and be in the snow,or drive two hours north and be in the desert with temperatures in excess of 110 degrees F,but where we live we can and do grow apples but we dont have a Beaver problem only bloody hungry Kangaroos and as the can grow to be 6ft tall they can make a apple loaded tree look pretty bare come morning,however I have a couple of what we call Cattle dogs or Blue Heelers and they give the Kangaroos a run for their money.
But all things being equal you would normally back the Kangaroo against most dogs, as they wrap their paws around the dog and bring up one of their big hind legs which has an enormous claw/tow on it and they then hook in to the dogs belly and drag down and I will leave the result to your imagination,except the cattle dogs we have can be more than a match for them,as you can imagine a cattle dog is capable of working a 1 ton Brahma Bull.
Any way this is not helping me solve the problem on how to get rid of my Zenithin k,but Im still working on the plan of donating it to the motor bike bad guys (Hells Angels or the Bandinos)

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
idontknow said:

Regardless of what you may have heard about Beavers, they are truly evil, and lately I've spent every waking moment in a battle to Save the last existing apple trees from their diabolical plot to first rid the island of fruit bearing flora and then take over the world. And you KNOW what would happen if Beavers took over the world, the price of apples at your local grocery store would probably go up, and that is a fate I will fight against until I lose interest or run out of Christmas lights.

igg

Sep 14, 2012
Hey,Ive had some problems with bloody foxes (which were introduced to us by the Poms/english gentry)the evil critters were killing all my chooks so I set up a heap of solar lights around the chook pen Guesss what it didn't work but Beavers might not be as smart as foxes so give it a go,or perhaps I could send you a pretty good Zenithink epad and see if it will scare off the Beavers, cause it sure as buggery scares me.

igg

Sep 14, 2012
hey idontknow,I know what I am about to send to you has bugger all to do with computer tablets,but here goes anyway.....
In Australia the only time we would come across a Beaver is in the Zoo or by watching Disneyland so I dont profess to have any idea how they pinch the apples/fruit of your tree'sbut should they have to climb the tree to get at the fruit,we may have a similar problem here but not with Beavers but with ring tail possums,and the way some Aussies use to keep them from climbing a tree is to encompass the tree trunk with a length of sheet metal,and once this is done the Possum cant get grip on the tree bark which prevents him from climbing but you need to put the metal starting at a height that the critter cant jump above.
There you go just put the cheque in the mail for this advice.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
igg, its not me, who has the problem with the beavers......is Tom but I'm sure it will like your help, right Tom? The only problem I had it was with ants but I put some cloves on their way into my apartment and they don't come in anymore..it was easy!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
So far the lights have been effective, but you never know when more serious discouragement might be necessary.
There are 5 families that live on this island year round, and as many dogs and you would think the dogs would be a little more helpful here. Of course, when the closest neighbors dog is disturbed enough by something during the night she will come over and wake me up to go find out what it is. She seriously will stand behind me and bark on the occasions she can convince me to get up and go check out whatever has spooked her. And she's not a small dog, very brave during the day when she was comes across a vicious frog or something. She is even spooked by the Eagles and to a lesser extent the Osprey. With back up like this I may be fighting a losing battle.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
@Tom - You provably need one of those dogs that igg uses to keep the kangaroos at bay! I remember reading in school about beavers collective suicide.....I guess the beavers of your island have too much of a good life to think of that!

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
@Spider or JP - please feel free to move us together with this thread to the off topic area! Its not tablet talking anymore here,we are just chatting about Kangaroos and beavers !:)

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
idontknow said:
@Tom - You provably need one of those dogs that igg uses to keep the kangaroos at bay! I remember reading in school about beavers collective suicide.....I guess the beavers of your island have too much of a good life to think of that!

I heard something like that about lemmings, but Beavers seem to think Way too highly of themselves to Consider suicide, but now you have me worried, I may have to get a perscription for Prozac and dump it in the lake. I don't want them to get depressed just because I won't let them eat my apple trees,

@igg The beavers, don't have any interest in the apples, they just want to eat the trees, and they don't climb them, they actually fall the trees themselves. Nothing left but a Stump when they are finished.

igg

Sep 14, 2012
Well I will weigh in with a slight modification to my previous advice.
You will see that I advised you guys on a way we keep ring tailed possums from eating our fruit,and that was by wrapping sheet metal around the tree trunk,well I suggest that this method would still work against beavers that are trying to gnaw down your apple trees,but it might be an idea should you allow the sheet metal to be overlapping in order to allow it to expand with the tree trunk growth.
Should the tree trunk's be small perhaps you might try a length of rural polyurethane pipe that you split length wise and open it up whilst surroundind the tree base.
Put the cheque in the mail for the custom made advice.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Tom, you are right, beavers don't commit suicide.But what do they do beside trying to eat your 2apple trees? . Aren't they supposed to build things like bridges and such? I think it was a bunch of beavers who built the Brooklyn bridge! :-D

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I think you may be right, I heard a group of Beavers filed a class action lawsuit against the producers of the movie The Bridges of Madison County for not giving them credit for their work. I hear they were even think of putting out a contract on Clint Eastwood himself, but then they watched Dirty Harry and decided not to push their luck.