igg

igg

Sep 14, 2012
I think you may be right, I heard a group of Beavers filed a class action lawsuit against the producers of the movie The Bridges of Madison County for not giving them credit for their work. I hear they were even think of putting out a contract on Clint Eastwood himself, but then they watched Dirty Harry and decided not to push their luck.
mber
I will let you have a quick story about bridge problems in my job which took in road, pavement surfacing design, many years back I supervised a road prime which was required prior to Bitumen surfacing and this section of road also contained a bridge,well prior to priming this road with primer which is bitumen thinned down with kerosene and extremely flammable, I asked the Engineer who was managing the project for the Government what did he want done with the bridge deeck to which he instructed that the primer be applied to the bridge surface which was constructed with timber, I then told this smart ass engineer that the prime would not penetrate the timber like it would the road pavement and because of this the bridge would not be able to be surfaced, well he still stuck to his guns and told us to prime the bridge which we did, as soon as the prime was applied it was evident that he would not be openng the bridge to traffic until the prime was removed, this guy then asked me how to remove the prime to which I replied Im buggered if I know.
Well this Engineer had a rush of blood and stated that the easiest way would be to burn the prime off the wooden bridge deck and he then soaked some old rags in kerosene and threw them onto the bridge then threw a lighted match onto the rags, well he was right it did burn off the prime but in doing so also burnt the whole bloody bridge down.
So the moral of this story is, the more I seen of government engineers the more I loved my dog.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I think you may be right, I heard a group of Beavers filed a class action lawsuit against the producers of the movie The Bridges of Madison County for not giving them credit for their work. I hear they were even think of putting out a contract on Clint Eastwood himself, but then they watched Dirty Harry and decided not to push their luck.

......[/QUOTE
I guess they didn't see Clint Eastwood talking to a chair at the Convention Party!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
That was a little scary but Clint is still the Man. I just hope he doesn't try to branch out into standup comedy.

igg

Sep 14, 2012
igg that is hilarious and sad and yet when all is said and done, a dog is still mans best friend.
Yeah, well the real Aussie way of saying this is normally when someone has misled or riled you and you then say THE MORE I SEE OF HUMAN BEINGS THE MORE I LOVE ME DOG.
But the Engineer that burnt down the bridge became a priceless old mate to me and whenever he had a problem in Road surfacing I copped a question on how to fix it, but sadly the old guy passed on a few years back and the story of how he burnt down a small country bridge became an endearing way within the road surfacing industry of remembering the old fellow, (also a way of teaching the young graduate civil engineers on what not to do)

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
igg so what you are saying is I completely missed the point.......hehe, what else do you expect from an American? That's ok though, because I actually prefer cats.

igg

Sep 14, 2012
I guess what we are saying is we dont really appreciate what you have done or what you have said and we would get a more kindly, sensible action from our dogs, it is also quoted to let the other guy know that he has pissed you off.
Yeah and as a response to what we expect from Americans, Aussies and Yanks go back a long way and have been through a few wars and conflicts on the same side and that has been and still is a great meaning of trust between both countries.
Anyway enough of the flowery qoutes as the sun is just over the yardarm and it is time to open the bar or as we say over here its beer o clock.

igg

Sep 14, 2012
Hey Tom, I have just reread the messages and in no way do I believe that you have missed the point, I was just explaining what the quote regarding Dogs and Human beings really means in Aussie talk.
And yes after rereading your quote it was a sad day but as I replied it was the start of a unique friend ship, and as the the old Engineer would often say to me following his burning of the bridge that he really should have listened to me in the first place,and as I used to say THERE ARE TWO THINGS YOU CANT TAKE BACK No1 being the flight of an arrow and no 2 being the spoken word, and I guess we could now add a 3rd and that is an unburnt bridge.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
igg
some time ago I worked for an oil company and I was hired by a woman who had just relocated here from Australia. I was infatuated with her (in a nice way, were still friends today) I used to kid her about the way she would phrase things or ask her to explain something and she would tell me, and I can't remember today how she put it, but basically that we Americans were so naive. That's where my comment about missing the point came from, being an American and all.
Your story does give new meaning to the term burning your bridges but in your case it had exactly the opposite outcome. Very cool :)

igg

Sep 14, 2012
Tom T
I understand where your coming from,I guess we have a few sayings that only we can understand,and I suppose you could say the same of Beavers,only another Beaver could relate to Beaver talk!
We had an Italian immigrint named Nino Culloto (or something like that) land here a few years back,and started work for a building construction company and the local guys used to serve it up to him,but it finished up with the immigrint doing all the laughing (on the way to the bank)as he wrote a best selling novel called WE'RE A WEIRD MOB, and this novel contained a few of the strange quotes we come out with.

igg

Sep 14, 2012
igg, great not quick story!:
HI,I have noted that on a few links the users use the word Rooted ,and I assume it refers to reprogramming the operating system of their Android tablets ?
If this is correct can it be done to my bloody Zenethink 180 (the one that I cant give away).
We have 2 other tablets 1 being an Asus transformer and the other is a Lenovo Think pad,both these tablets use Android 4.0.1 where as the Zenethink has Android 2.something or other,do you know if it possible to download an upgrade to this evil piece of equipment.
I am considering asking Tom T if I can send it to him so he so he can attach it to one of his Apple trees as a means of scaring off the Beavers,it should work on Beavers as it sure scares me

igg

Sep 14, 2012
Sorry guys,I buggered up,the name of the novel I mentioned was incorrect(only by a bit) the correct name is THE'RE A WEIRD MOB and it was written by NINO CULOTTA and if my memory is correct it was also made into a film.
So if you want to better understand Aussie slang read the novel,or download the film (if it is available)if you cant find it give me a yell and I'll find out where you can get it

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I plan or reading this, too often I get bogged down reading meaningless fiction, and it just might be a bit refreshing. Lately, though, I've been reading a Series of books by Akashic books, Collections of noir based on particular cities around the world. For the most part they have been wonderful, although the collection from Seattle, the only collection from a city in my home state, was a bit disappointing, Portland Noir, Oregon not Maine, which is actually closer to me than Seattle, was a pretty good Collection of stories.