igg

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
My house has survived the Beaver onslaught so far. I trimmed the Apple trees a while back and piled all the branches down by the lake, a sort of peace offering on my part. I figured the critters would be appreciative, but I've finally learned my lesson - you can NEVER trust a Beaver. Oh they accepted my offering, and even though there was a lot of folliage pilled there they managed to dispose of it over three nights. Fun to watch, but on the fourth night one of those evil little beasts was back chewing on one of the trees. The crazy thing, I ran out of the house with a flashlight to chase him off but instead he casually sauntered out into the canal and slowly swam about 10 feet out, the flashlight made his eyes glow red. Or hers I guess, it might even make more sense if it's a female :) Still the way it was swimming, just its eyes above the water, kind of reminded me of an Aligator.

So the battle goes on.....

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

igg

Sep 14, 2012
Hey Tom, I'm having a similar problem with our horses chewing the bark of our native trees which will eventually kill these trees should they chew a complete circle around the tree base and as some of these trees would be in excess of 100 years old and over 120 feet high I'm getting a tad cranky with the buggers,but have worked out a way to stop them and that is by wrapping a length of wire netting or chicken /bird netting around the tree trunk and they cant chew through it so problem solved, and it might be worth a try to deter Beavers,and it a super cheap and easy method

igg

Sep 14, 2012
Gday Spider I responded to your request and gratefully accepted your offer, but being the dumb bugger I am I cant be sure I ticked the right boxes if did all is well if not let me know and I will try again.
In my younger life I spent a great deal of time in Australia's back country (crocodile Dundee country) where I supplemented my income by following and competing in the Rodeo circuit, and then went on to become a Regional Manager for a large Australin based international construction company, the point in mentioning all this is a few years ago I had the misfortune of being diagnosed with a intercranial aneurysm, which they repired via brain surgery and given the miniscule size of the brain they were repairing it couldnt of been too daunting for the surgeon. however to cut a long story short family members and industry associates asked me to put pen to paper and record my memoirs and in these memoirs I have written down a poem which is a true dinkum Australian bush verse and it is in regard to a pretty savage little bush Spider called a Red Back Spider which can inflict a serious amount of toxins into those or whatever it bites, so you going under the user name of Spider would be interested in this little ripper of a bush quote, and I will relate it to you later on either in the forum or by mail or any other way you would prefer, and talking about this little red back spider has given me an idea on how to dispose of this bloody evil Zenecantthink and that is to throw it in a red back's nest and you can be certain no one would want to retreive it from a red back's nest.

igg

Sep 14, 2012
Hi, And I may have overcome the problem by registering with Slideme and then choosing a game, the programme downloads and then installs the chosen game,as for my previous problem in the programme showing Parse error, this was probably due to me installing a game that could not be installed in the Android 2.1 system that runs this excuse for a tablet.
I'm still interested in upgrading the system but I ask can I get your thoughts on what would be the easiest and most appropriate upgrade, and should we choose the wrong one I wont be stressing about it and in no way would I blame you as if it should fail it will just give me the excuse I need to burn the bloody thing, but I also would require your help which you kindly offered.

omarahum

Developer
Mar 4, 2013
I checked another zt-180 tablet I have (where the touchscreen isn't working and I haven't turned on in a long time) that's on the Eclair 1204 ROM, and I am also seeing that Market isn't downloading apps (download was unsuccessful error)..... I want to see if I can get it to work or not before I give you any advice, as I still think Eclair works best on the Original ZT-180 because of it low 256MB RAM... Froyo works well on the ZT-180 v2 tablets that have 512MB RAM... It's 12:30 am here in New York, so I am going to head to bed soon, but I'll post back here by next week and tell you if I got it to work or not.... If I can't get it to work, I'd probably suggest you flash the unofficial 0603 Froyo ROM, but that requires flashing the tablet via an sdcard (FAT32 formatted), so you would need to flash to an earlier official ROM first via the burntool (with a Windows XP 32 bit computer) first to get that capability, so you may want to flash to the 0117 Eclair ROM anyways to get sdcard flashing capability....

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Hey Tom, I'm having a similar problem with our horses chewing the bark of our native trees which will eventually kill these trees should they chew a complete circle around the tree base and as some of these trees would be in excess of 100 years old and over 120 feet high I'm getting a tad cranky with the buggers,but have worked out a way to stop them and that is by wrapping a length of wire netting or chicken /bird netting around the tree trunk and they cant chew through it so problem solved, and it might be worth a try to deter Beavers,and it a super cheap and easy method

I tried a new method of discouraging the Beavers, last night I sprinkled cayanne pepper over the branches and around the trunk and tonight they seem to be keeping their distance. Not sure if it could have a negative effect on the trees, maybe change the ph of the surrounding soil or something, but at least they have a chance to live and thrive or not. I can't imagine horses would be any more fond of pepper than Beavers.....might be worth a shot.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Gday Igg, you did tick the right boxes, and as you say "all is well". It sounds as though you've led a fairly colorful life and I'd very much like to see that poem of yours. With a couple thousand viewers of this thread, I'd probably have a riot on my hands if I asked you to send it to me privately so posting it to this thread would be fine. Having been to your beautiful country twice so far (Hoping to get there again.), hopefully I won't need an Aussie to American dictionary to understand it.:rolleyes:

igg

Sep 14, 2012
I tried a new method of discouraging the Beavers, last night I sprinkled cayanne pepper over the branches and around the trunk and tonight they seem to be keeping their distance. Not sure if it could have a negative effect on the trees, maybe change the ph of the surrounding soil or something, but at least they have a chance to live and thrive or not. I can't imagine horses would be any more fond of pepper than Beavers.....might be worth a shot.

Hey Tom,That's smart thinking and shows that the thinking capabilities between Yanks and Aussies are similar in that I tried a method close to what your trying and this was to keep my bloody Cattle dogs from chewing timber garden walls but I used a product called Vicks Vapour rub or you may know it as chest rub and it is a gelatine type substance however a muscle analgesic like deap heat or Tiger Balm would also work and the advantages of these products over cayane pepper is that they will stick to the tree,but to become even more effective you could try mixing the cayanne into either of the two products I have mentioned and that way would keep the cayanne around the tree possibly even after rain?.
But whatever you use to make the taste unpleasant for these critters will be only a short term solution,but by enclosing the tree trunk in bird netting is cheap.quick and almost permanent,but I know one failsafe method and that would be to tie my bloody Zenecanthink to your apple tree's and that would be sure to frighten them away as it would certainly frighten buggery out of me.t

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Good job Tom! How was winter on your island and how is the weather now. ? Don't beavers hibernate as bears do? That would give you time prepare a good plan of attack!

igg

Sep 14, 2012
Before relating this Aussie bush poem,It might be wise if I sort of translate Aussie slang to American language of some of the words in this poem
MOREE is a bush town in New South Wales that is situated some 650 kilometers from Sydney and it is known for it's vast grazing properties for sheep and cattle.
RIVER GWDIR is a river that runs through the bush country of the Australian state of New South Wales,and Gwdir rhymes with Spider
RED BACK SPIDER is a small black coloured spider that has a red stripe running down it's back, and this Spider is venomous to the point it can sometimes kill humans though mainly only the very young or those that are in a poor state of health and the bite is extremely painful
I.X.L JAM TIN , with IXL being a company that produced tinned fruit preserves.
SHEARER is a guy that shears the fleece of sheep and it is a highly skilled operation that is known to be amongst the most physical hard work in the world as each shearer is in competition against every other shearer that they work with and this work is for 8 hours a day made up of 4 x 2 hour shifts.
BARKERS relate to wild dogs
SHOW GROUNDS is a place normally run by agricultural providers to show of their goods and chattels i.e wool and at these events there are usually quite a few side shows such as see the hall of mirrors and bearded lady's etc
FOUR AND NINEPENCE relates to the form of currency that was in place until the mid 1960's and means four shillings and nine pence which followed the pommey (english) currancy,this currancy has now been replaced by decimal currancy
SPRUIKERS relate to individuals that are itinerant workers that stand out side carnival shows trying to entice crowds into seeing their carnival shows that are many and varies from the bearded lady etc.
CITY SPEELER is another name for SPRUIKERS
SHEILA is a term given for a young lady or women in general and in no way is it meant to be derogatory
BILLY is a container that is used to put on a camp fire to boil water to make tea or coffee
MUG is a term given to a guy that is seen as a looser or down on his luck.

I DO NOT KNOW WHO PENNED THIS POEM OR WHEN IT WAS WRITTEN,AND I HAVE PROBABLY FORGOTTEN SOME OF THE WORDS BUT OVER THE YEARS I HAVE SUBSTITUTED WORDS THAT HAVE BEEN FORGOTTEN and I first heard this poem many years back when as a silly young bugger I took up shearing and jumping on mad bloody horses as well as doing other stupid things to earn a living,and that all happened before I saw the light and entered a much more organised way of providing income.

So here goes THE LITTLE RED BACK SPIDER.

TWAS BY THE SLUGGISH RIVER GWDIR LIVED THIS LITTLE REDBACK SPIDER,AND I SUPPOSE SHE'D BE AS SAVAGE AS COULD BE
AND THE PLACE THAT SHE WAS CAMPED IN WAS THIS RUSTY I.X.L JAM TIN SITUATED AT THE SHOWGROUNDS ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF MOREE.

AND THERE LAY THIS DRUNKEN SHEARER WHO'D BEEN ON THE GROG AND BOOZING ALL THE PREVIOUS NIGHT AND DAY.

AND THE BARKING OF THE BARKERS AND THE SPRUIKING OF THE SPRUIKERS COULDN'T WAKE HIM FROM THE TRANCE IN WHICH HE LAY.

THEN THERE CAME THIS CITY SPEELER WITH HIS TASTY LITTLE SHEILA GATHERING FIRE TO BOIL THE BILLY FOR THEIR TEA AND HE SAID THERE LIES A BOOZER AND I'll MAKE THIS MUG A LOOSER OR YOU CAN FORE EVER BRAND ME AS A LIAR.

AND SHE SAID HONEY DON'T BE SILLY GO ON HOME AND BOIL THE BILLY YOU CAN SAFELY LEAVE THIS MUG TO LITTLE ME.

SO SHE WRIGGLED EVER NEARER TO THIS DRUNK AND DOPEY SHEARER AS HE LAY POCKETS BULGING FACE A BURN.

WHILE SHE REACHED INTO HIS POCKET SOMETHING DARTED LIKE A ROCKET AND BIT THE SPEELERS SHEILA ON THE STERN.

AND THE SHEILA LEPT UP SCREAMING AND THE YELLS OF PAIN WERE MOST FOLORN WHILE ONE HAND THE WOUND WAS PRESSING THE OTHER WAS UNDRESSING SHE ARRIVED BACK INTO CAMP IN THE STATE THAT SHE WAS BORN.

AND THE SHEARER WOKE UP HAGGARD AND OFF TO TOWN HE STAGGERED TO CATCH THE TRAIN AND GIVE THE BOOZE A REST BUT HE DIDN'T KNOW THE SPIDER THAT HAD CAMPED BESIDE THE GWDIR HAD SAVED HIM FOUR AND NINEPENCE OF THE BEST.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Good job Tom! How was winter on your island and how is the weather now. ? Don't beavers hibernate as bears do? That would give you time prepare a good plan of attack!

It was quite mild, much like last year, and right now the weather is exactly as you would expect in April....Sun one minute, then rain, wind, more sun, snow and hail...but tomorrow probably will be different. Beavers don't hibernate, they do prepare with plenty of food and kind of hunker down in severe weather. I think I've seen them out doing recon though, so they might be ahead of me when it comes to a good game plan...

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Hey Tom,That's smart thinking and shows that the thinking capabilities between Yanks and Aussies are similar in that I tried a method close to what your trying and this was to keep my bloody Cattle dogs from chewing timber garden walls but I used a product called Vicks Vapour rub or you may know it as chest rub and it is a gelatine type substance however a muscle analgesic like deap heat or Tiger Balm would also work and the advantages of these products over cayane pepper is that they will stick to the tree,but to become even more effective you could try mixing the cayanne into either of the two products I have mentioned and that way would keep the cayanne around the tree possibly even after rain?.
But whatever you use to make the taste unpleasant for these critters will be only a short term solution,but by enclosing the tree trunk in bird netting is cheap.quick and almost permanent,but I know one failsafe method and that would be to tie my bloody Zenecanthink to your apple tree's and that would be sure to frighten them away as it would certainly frighten buggery out of me.t

The problem I have is the Beavers usually ignore the trunk and go for the branches....brilliant idea, I must say, to use a more enduring deterent, especially a combination that would most certainly keep any sane creature away. These Beavers though....did I mention the glowing red eyes?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Well done Igg, I enjoyed the poem very much. Especially since the Spider was the hero of the story.:rolleyes:

igg

Sep 14, 2012
yeah mate,got a few up my sleeve,but haven't written one one yet about idontknows, but I'll work on it, in the mean time I might have to quote one from Australia's best bush poet named Banjo Patterson who was the guy who wrote our best known poem/song called Waltzing Maltilda which should have been our National Anthem, but just hang in there and I'll come up with something,but by the time I'm finished I will have to redesign the Aussie to Yank do it yourself dictionary,so just hang in there and wait awhile and think about how to beat the odd's at horse racing as my next poem will be on that theme.
And in relation to Horses (which I have had a bit to do with) we have a mare over here called Black Caviar who has never been beaten and is racing this Saturday in Sydney looking for 25 wins straight,and one of those wins was in England where she beat the best Horses Europe had to offer, and just a bit more history about the quality of our Horses was that many years ago we sentwhat was then and probably still is Australia's best known horse to America to race in the best race of that era this Horse was called Phar Lap and he won this race,however tthe sad part of this story was that before he could race again he caught a disease called Colic and passed away,and just to finish off we also sent a Horse called Sailors Guide to America to race in the Washington International Stakes and he also won that race,I remember that race with some pride as the horse was trained by a guy called George Daniels who I had the pleasure to call a great old mate.

Last edited: