Illegal or just paranoid?

peterzan

Jan 25, 2012
Hi Guys

Need your opinion here:

I brought a HTC flyer in the local market. Brand new, still in an un-opened box. The seller said it is an unwanted upgrade. The network seems to be knocked to T mobile, but I only use WiFi. I was really happy with the purchase, until my friend I was a fool to buy such thing from a stranger. In theory, the seller can still report to the police or the network that the Flyer is stolen or lost, so I am in trouble!

I was told the device can be tracked down with IMEI code, even I don't have a SIM. If that is correct, what shall I do now? In fact, is it legal to buy it off a private hand? Willl the police show up on my door step some time in the future?

Thanks​

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
Nah man, nothing will happen. Don't worry about it. It is NOT a crime to buy a 2nd hand tablet. Your friend is just probably jealous ;)

peterzan

Jan 25, 2012
Thanks geckoT2C. But my worry is that if the seller does report it as lost or stolen, I don't really have the prove for the purchasing (since it's only cash exchange). Then, I'm stuck!

J

jimbo7630

If you are using WiFi then even if it was reported lost or stolen it would only be disabled fom being used as a Mobile Telephone.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Do you have or can you get a copy of the for sell ad? I think the chances are slim this would happen. Unless you have a criminal background you don't have anything to worry about.

J

jimbo7630

What possible reason could the seller have for having it disabled, he will not get it repossessed simply have the satisfaction of preventing a (STOLEN) item from being used as a telephone.

J

jimbo7630

Just as an aside, I had a reasonably expensive Mobile Phone stolen in Rome, Italy, I immediately (within an hour) had it blocked by my Service Provider. Made me feel better, but I subsequently found out that it may well have been re-enabled in Africa! It IS possible to locate a phone by triangulation but you tell me which law enforcement agency will go to that extent!!?

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks geckoT2C. But my worry is that if the seller does report it as lost or stolen, I don't really have the prove for the purchasing (since it's only cash exchange). Then, I'm stuck!

innocent until proven guilty :cool: