I'm an Amazon Prime member - can I use something other than a Kindle Fire?

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
I'd get one but without a root kit (yet) I don't like that it has somewhat limited capabilities compared to a full blown Android. OTOH as an Amazon Prime member I can get access to a whole load of streaming content for free with a Kindle Fire. I've been waiting to see what the Nook Color 2 brings to the table for what I hope will be another ~$200 option. Would I be able to use a non-Kindle tablet and still be able to access all of the Amazon content as a Prime member?

cegabq

Jul 22, 2011
You can look at the Prime webpage; they list devices there that are officially supported (none of our Android smarthphones are). I can't even use the browser on my smartphone to view Amazon Prime video content.

tonyp

Nov 1, 2011
Hmm, that's too bad. I was hoping to be able to get into a tablet with more flexibility and still be able to access the Prime stuff. The Kindle Fire is neat, but without a microSD or a way to root it without risking the on board configuration I'm not sure it's worth getting.

ObsidianBlk

May 13, 2011
Hmm, that's too bad. I was hoping to be able to get into a tablet with more flexibility and still be able to access the Prime stuff. The Kindle Fire is neat, but without a microSD or a way to root it without risking the on board configuration I'm not sure it's worth getting.

One thing to keep in mind is that the kindle fire hasn't even been released yet. As soon as it is, you can bet your bottom dollar someone will attempt to root the device and usually rooting doesn't effect the existing software (let me stress,usually). It possible that within a couple ofweeks or months of its release itllbe rooted, allowing you full access to the google app market as well as all of your prime content.