I'm gonna miss you guys, but....

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
I'm afraid the Xoom is just leaps and bounds above the A500 and worth the extra $.

- GPS locks on to 12 sats INSTANTLY and sees 3 more. Inside my condo, no windows in sight. A500 = lucky to get 3 after 6 attempts outside in open sky.

- Corporate Sync works out of the box. Perfectly.

- No extra dock port at the bottom. All of the ports are at the bottom designed to fit in to a dock by themselves.

- Longer charger cord AND the tongs on the charger itself fold in.

- Battery charge light changes states to show charge level.

- Synced all of my marketplace apps previously donwloaded without even asking me. All of them, and did not make a shortcut on my main desktop, just put them in apps.

Now the indifferent issues.

- Magnetic compass still 90 degrees off. I'm sure now that this is a Honeycomb issue and not hardware now.

- Still heavy, but at least for me, seems to stick in my hands better. Your mileage may vary.

Now the low points

- No full size USB port, but I think I can live with this.

- SD card slot still does not work, but I'm cool cause I know this can be patched in software and the thing has twice the onboard memory anyway.

So, in conclusion, it's worth the extra 150 in alot of ways, at least to me. I wanted SO BAD to like the A500, but I just can't.

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
One more...

No battery drain from nonexistent cell hardware and center-mounted camera. None. Battery looks like it will last for days and I've been thrashing it for hours now.

Again, sorry I could not hang with you guys. I tried.

Daciple

May 13, 2011
I'll stick with the Iconia, it has a host usb port, sdcard slot, and a few more etc. No desire for Xoom, i can stick with my iPad it seems to have the same pluggable options as the Xoom, but has more apps for it.

Humantelope

May 2, 2011
One more...

No battery drain from nonexistent cell hardware and center-mounted camera. None. Battery looks like it will last for days and I've been thrashing it for hours now.

Again, sorry I could not hang with you guys. I tried.

I'm ganna have to double check the two xoom's we have on display at best buy where i work, but i'm pretty sure when i checked both had that cell standby (of course the 3g version will, but we also have a wifi only one on display that is the more important one ;P ).. if not, thats an interesting find.

my only real question is, if that sd card slot is disabled by software (and we all know it is) are any of the rom developers for the xoom trying to find a way to activate it? i don't spend much time in the xoom forums other than to see apps that work well since its mostly just a honeycomb issue and once devs update to support honeycomb and the larger screen it'll work great on any of the tabs.

Dart

May 2, 2011
Different strokes for different folks. I never use GPS and would have given three toes for a USB. That is what I needed desperately. I could never boy a device without that. And, my Micro-SD card works great, so that is a plus.

There is no perfect device out there. Just whatever works best for each of us.

panda

Apr 25, 2011
Well in response to your points regarding the A500 (which I think is a superior device to the Xoom):

GPS locks on to 12 sats INSTANTLY and sees 3 more. Inside my condo, no windows in sight. A500 = lucky to get 3 after 6 attempts outside in open sky.

I have never had a problem locking onto GPS. As for GPS reception indoors, how convenient this is in real life, I think, is questionable at best.

- Corporate Sync works out of the box. Perfectly.

No experience with so can't comment other then that its likely a software issue that will be addressed in future updates which seems likely as Acer was featured as a close partner with Google in their recent I/O conference.

- No extra dock port at the bottom. All of the ports are at the bottom designed to fit in to a dock by themselves.

The Xoom certainly has better dock compatibility compared the A500 but at what cost? The Xoom dock provides about the same functionality as the A500 on its included charger.

- Longer charger cord AND the tongs on the charger itself fold in.

The a500 ships with an undoubtedly impractical charger for those wanting to use the device while wall charging. Whether this should be deciding factor when you purchase a tab, considering you can purchase a compatible charger with a longer cable length from Asia on Ebay for $10, is questionable.

- Battery charge light changes states to show charge level.

The power switch on the A500 glows red while charging and white when charged (and plugged in) which also makes it easier to reach for in a dark enviornment, not to mention that the a500's power button is more conveniently located on the side of the device vs. the xoom's power switch which is awkwardly located on the back.

- Synced all of my marketplace apps previously donwloaded without even asking me. All of them, and did not make a shortcut on my main desktop, just put them in apps.

Not sure what you mean by this one? I have no problem syncing my apps on my A500.

gabrielbcn

Apr 20, 2011
I'm afraid the Xoom is just leaps and bounds above the A500 and worth the extra $.

- GPS locks on to 12 sats INSTANTLY and sees 3 more. Inside my condo, no windows in sight. A500 = lucky to get 3 after 6 attempts outside in open sky.

Must be remembering them. GPS reception needs visual contact to work.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

gabrielbcn

Apr 20, 2011

Not sure what you mean by this one? I have no problem syncing my apps on my A500.

If you change the settings in the market you can decide whether you get a shortcut or not.

USB port is so useful, along with SD card. Only for this the A500 is superior to many other tablets.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

DroidObscura

May 26, 2011
I'm pretty sure that GPS satellites are line of sight. If you're locking on indoors with no windows in sight, you're probably just getting location data from your wi-fi connection.

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
I'm pretty sure that GPS satellites are line of sight. If you're locking on indoors with no windows in sight, you're probably just getting location data from your wi-fi connection.

Yes I call BS on the 12 satellites indoors too.

Pete