I'm in Love!!

BEAW

Mar 17, 2011
I always liked my tablet express but now with the recent software upgrade, I love my tablet express. I was going to replace her in the fall when Xmas sales started but now I am thinking, why bother, she does everything I want and she does it for cheap. Only minor remaining nit, the battery life is no more than 2 hours.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I always liked my tablet express but now with the recent software upgrade, I love my tablet express. I was going to replace her in the fall when Xmas sales started but now I am thinking, why bother, she does everything I want and she does it for cheap. Only minor remaining nit, the battery life is no more than 2 hours.
BEAW, I'm right there with you. Every day I cross my fingers nothing goes wrong forcing a "factory reset" and having to start over.

I'm getting better battery life now that I've stopped several applications in /system/app folder listed below in from running by adding the .bak extension using Root Explorer (File Manager). I've also set my "Display Settings > Brightness" at the middle of the bar or roughly 50%. Still not the hours of use expected but better than before.
Code:
DeskClock.apk.bak
Phone.apk.bak
TelephonyProvider.apk.bak
WeatherForecast.apk.bak

In addition to the stock applications I've got the following applications installed without any issues.
Code:
adbWireless version 1.4.1
Android Tablet Forum version 1.0.3
Dolphin Browser HD version V4.2.1
Infotm Market (oeomarket) v2.1.1
Ethernet Settings version 1.0
Gmail version 2.3.4.1
Laputa version 3.0.6
LinkedIn version version 1.1.3
Market version 3.0.26
Root Explorer version 2.15
SQLite Editor version 1.3.2
Superuser version 2.3.6.2
Android Terminal Emulator version 1.0.31
Twitter version 2.1.1
Universal Androot version 1.6.2 beta 5

I have not updated YouTube from 1.6.21 to 2.1.6 as it seems not to work.

I have updated Adobe Flash Player 10.1 to the "special" version 10.1.106.15 but am having mixed results.

Every day that this tablet continues to work as expected is a joy compared to those early days/months of fighting with fixes/work around's/just plain not knowing what to do.

Thanks for all of the assistance along the way. Enjoy!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
It's refreshing to see people posting who aren't having problems. Thanks for sharing.

dwarf365

Jul 16, 2011
It's refreshing to see people posting who aren't having problems. Thanks for sharing.
Yep same here after flashing to 2.20 on my first tab I absolutely loved it, but i flashed what i thought was an update and bricked it. Thankfully I still had the receipt and cvs had two more. But I got home and found out the other 2 they had were older 2.01 versions. Well I re-flashed it to 2.20 and tried an over the air update. It found an update and applied it ,2.21-7 sweet! The tablet runs so smooth ,so quick. As fast as I can type its right there. I also found a huge cache of .apk's for armV6 at 4shared folder - My 4shared that so far has worked for every download (moboplayer, all the different angry birds, even guitar hero) My boss just got a new android phone and loves angry birds, he is quite jealous now because my 100 dollar tab plays the game way faster, smoother, and most important BIGGER! lol Only one minor niggle left for some reason the stereo balance is %90 to the left. On my first tab that came w/ 2.1 this wasn't an issue. I can still balance it out on the stereo but you loose a lot of volume and quality. Maybe the earlier tabs had a stereo+mic jack? Any input would be helpful. I still feel that after bricking one tab, and ending up with what I got, I still feel I got more than I paid for! Thanks esp. to cfrockit and every one else who posted such valuable info and files!

dwarf365

Jul 16, 2011
Only minor remaining nit, the battery life is no more than 2 hours.
Also I'm getting almost 4hrs run time with the installed power control widget brightness turned "off" it seems to to be like %50 brightness but saves huge power %100 will just plain blind you in the dark.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
If we ever have a contest, I'm going to nominate your little Sylvania group as the "Happiest In The Forum". :eek:

dwarf365

Jul 16, 2011
$about.jpg

Ver info
$home.jpg$runtime.jpgrun time proof
Im in love;)

Last edited:

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
I have gotten crazy power length out of my EX7. I was working on typing up and article on how I did it, but after a few days of flashing my other EX7 and starting from scratch (beta-4) and installing everything I did on the one I use the most...I couldn't get the play time.. I have once and for all, (i could still be wrong) decided that Advanced Task Killer is whats doing it. I will boot and wait for everything to load (ie my clock and batt widgets) then I will go into ATK and kill everything. and I tap 'kill' every other 2 seconds like 3 or 4 times. and other things will pop up as running. and I kill them. Then I run what I want to. when I am done with that app and am ready to start another I go into ATK and again tap kill ever other second until nothing else pops up as running. I think that Android was writen for small mobile devices that can run many things at once so nothing takes too long to "load" and it dumps memory ONLY when it needs more that what is free with everything running. so when I kill EVERYthing it is using so much less CPU power. have ".bak" on telephony and Bluetooth and the HDMI apk's and the weather and the clock. (i use a retro flip style clock widget) I believe that we have an OS that wasn't modded for a big screen, but was meant to be for a phone and the power consumptions are worlds apart. I am going to start again from scratch with Beta-4 and not '.bak' anything. let it all do it's thing, and only install Advanced Task Killer and do the 'tap kill until nothing is running' then play my 1:40 movie and check my email and this forum and play a game and see if the power still lasts. I really thing it's the FORCED multi-tasking that is killing our power. I could be wrong, but I am thinking that the 'standard' function of Android loading EVERY last thing you have installed at boot is killing the power. But I will mess with it in as many combinations and permutations as I can think of to see if this is the case.

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
This will be usefull info st0ne, if you are able to compile it.

My tablet is going back for a replacement on Friday. I don't expect much to be improved with its replacement, but what I do expect is the unit to run for more than the ~1hr life the current unit gives me.
Better wifi range on the new unit would be nice also. A range of 20ft line of sight to a wireless-N router along with the battery life means my love for the current unit has considerably waned.

BTW We should not need to run any Task Managers with 2.2 - I mean, I do as well on occasion, but I thought one of the dictates for 2.2 was not to do this, as it scr*ws up the memory management:
Task Killers aren't needed with android 2.2 - xda-developers

Last edited:

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
to quote the General in War Games: "That's a load of crap!" I have nothing but respect for the people over at XDA, and while in theory 2.2 doesn't need a task killer, the fact remains: after a lengthy wait for a 'full boot' I have found that literately everything I have installed, with the exception of my games, is loaded. there is no good reason for the android market AND the amazon market and Netflix(which still doesn't stream movies for me) and things like that to be loaded at boot. I stand by my statement that the Android OS is STILL designed with only phones in mind. This is why we are doing all we can to develop a way to make a ROM that can be a pick and choose for each users needs. I could be wrong,but now that things have 1Ghz+ and dual core processors we need to stop thinking of them as simple 'mobile devices' and start approaching them as 'computers'.

Jv90

Apr 23, 2011
hmm? can someone mention a good task bar killer apk or task manager besides the known ones; I managed to get system panel v10, but nothing; something like the galaxy tab manager alike will be good.... any clues?

Sent from my Sytabex7 android tablet

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
to quote the General in War Games: "That's a load of crap!" I have nothing but respect for the people over at XDA, and while in theory 2.2 doesn't need a task killer, the fact remains: after a lengthy wait for a 'full boot' I have found that literately everything I have installed, with the exception of my games, is loaded. there is no good reason for the android market AND the amazon market and Netflix(which still doesn't stream movies for me) and things like that to be loaded at boot. I stand by my statement that the Android OS is STILL designed with only phones in mind. This is why we are doing all we can to develop a way to make a ROM that can be a pick and choose for each users needs. I could be wrong,but now that things have 1Ghz+ and dual core processors we need to stop thinking of them as simple 'mobile devices' and start approaching them as 'computers'.
I do wish you wouldn't sit on the fence like that

While you are right about everything loading, that does not mean that using using a task Manager willy-nilly will not scr*w up memory management. Yes a task manager will kill off tasks, but that was not my point, and not the point of the linked thread.
Just saying...

Last edited:

meggiedude

Jun 28, 2011
Ah "Not to be snotty but...."
Bit like saying "With respect...."
and we know what that means ;-)

Can't be bothered with the cut and thrust of a hyperlink exchange.

At the end of the day we both want the same thing, so not arguing with you.
Mine going back tomorrow - Out of love, Want a divorce, Looking forward to my newer model. Maybe it'll be blonde this time.

Peace

MD

dwarf365

Jul 16, 2011
Also I'm getting almost 4hrs run time with the installed power control widget brightness turned "off" it seems to to be like 50 brightness but saves huge power 100 will just plain blind you in the dark.

Did you people not read my post? 4+ hrs on my 2.21 express tab. no app killers, nothing. just turn down the backlight!

Last edited: