Imaging question

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
Not sure if anyone has already broached this question or not, but I was wondering if it's possible to set my tablet up the way I want it. Then make an image of the current setup and installed software.

I'm hoping it's possible to make this the recovery image for the 3-finger salute.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Yes discussed many times but as of yet NO one has produced a custom system.img for this tablet.

It is feasible but there hasn't been any one with sufficient expertise to actually do it. It requires modifying the /system folder to add/delete the applications desired, create the symbolic links, repack the image properly, compress properly, then burn to the tablet as zSYS.img either using USB mode: Expert burn or using the bootable microSD card method.

The tools exist to extract the system.img from the InfoTMIC Update Wrap (.ius) file, unpack and expand the image to /system folder, and there maybe a utility to repack but that is as far as the effort has gone to date. See this thread for more information - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/sylvania-tablets/13447-custom-sylvania-rom-development.html

Last edited:

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
Yeah, I saw that, and it might be larger than what I am thinking of. That seemed to be referring to altering an existing img file. What I'm thinking of is making an img file from my currently setup tablet. Then using that image as the recovery img.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
What I'm thinking of is making an img file from my currently setup tablet. Then using that image as the recovery img.

If understand the question correctly, ClockworkMod Recovery can back up your ROM, and Titanium Backup will take care of your apps.

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
I couldn't get Clockwork to boot. The app loads fine, but when you attempt to reboot to the console, it just boots normally.

I'm currently using Titanium for the solution, and I guess I'll just write a script to replace the files I normally modify on setup. It should bring the restore time down to about 15 minutes.

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
Timed it twice. Approximately 12 minutes from recovering from image to total restoration. I used Titanium Pro for the backup, and SGS Tools to run a script to overwrite the config files I always change. I also used the SGS script to update the Wifi driver and the animated boot screen.

I think that's acceptable, considering that previous recoveries took me in excess of 1 1/2 hours.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'd say better than acceptable, and now that you tested it you know your backup works. Many people don't ever test their backup and find out it doesn't work the hard way.

lohtse

Mar 9, 2011
Could you write a quick how too guide about how todo the backup/restore??? Would be a huge help if you did.And if you do the. Create a new thread with file attachments etc and get it made as a sticky..

Regards Lohtse

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
I'm probably not going to be very good about writing an "official" howto, but I can explain the concept, and if anyone wants to write it up, by all means.

Items needed: Titanium Backup Pro - The money spent on this is well worth it. The free version will work, but you will be slowed down by having to go through the install routine for each app. The Pro version handles all of this automatically.

Universal Androot - For obvious reasons

USB Debug - For enabling USB debugging mode (Needed by Titanium)

SGS Tools - For running the final script.

The updated wireless driver (if your system has one, my SYNET7LP does)

The DAT file for the wireless (also optional, not needed if you never alter the settings)

Your boot animation file of choice. Mine is Stargate.

Your ts.conf file (only needed if you plan on changing settings)

I'll attach my files that I have edited for reference.

Basically, I wanted to be able to do a 3-fingered reset, and recover to all of my settings as fast as possible. So I created a folder in the root of my SD Card called "AllRecoveryFiles" and loaded the following files into it...

bootanimation.zip
rt2870.bin
RT2870STA.dat
Titanium Backup Pro.apk
ts.conf
UniversalAndroot.apk
USBDebug.apk

Ok....so now I've gone ahead and edited in all of my custom settings to the conf and dat files. So the only thing I need now is to run titanium back and backup all apps and settings. (Side note, I made sure SGS Tools was installed BEFORE I did the backup....saves a step later)

After this, the process goes as follows:

Shutdown and do a 3-fingered salute.
Boot up to freshly flashed system, and install in this order:

Universal Androot (root the system once it's installed)
USB Debug - Enable debugging once it's loaded
Install titanium backup - run batch to restore all apps and data
Open SGS tools and run the custom script (I'll attach this, and it should be copied to your SDCard\sgstools directory)

Reboot....done.

Ok....the only files I could upload are the script and the boot animation file. This board doesn't seem to want to take the other files. I assume it's due to the extensions. However, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Attached secondary script that does everything the first one does, but also removes some of the prepackaged bloatware.

Here's the script file, and from it you can see what I've set to be removed. The file is easy to edit to add or remove some of these items. I have mine set to remove the HDMI service, because I just don't ever see me wanting to use it. I also removed the flashplayer, cause it's broken anyway.

busybox mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
busybox cp -f /sdcard/AllRecoveryFiles/bootanimation.zip /system/media
busybox cp -f /sdcard/AllRecoveryFiles/rt2870.bin /etc/firmware
busybox cp -f /sdcard/AllRecoveryFiles/RT2870STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
busybox cp -f /sdcard/AllRecoveryFiles/ts.conf /system/etc
busybox rm -f /system/app/Calculator.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/CalendarWidget.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/Camera.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/Gallery.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/HDMIService.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/Laputa3.0.3.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/QuickSearchBox.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/Screenshot.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/VpnServices.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/WeatherForecast.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/droidreader-0.5.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/install_flash_player_20101229.apk
busybox rm -f /system/app/Phone.apk
reboot

Attachments

• $bootanimation.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 385
  • $Restore-Custom-Boot.txt
    341 bytes · Views: 366
  • $Restore-Custom-Boot-Bloatware.txt
    974 bytes · Views: 332
Last edited:

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
Also, I could have modified the script to remove the bloatware, and I will probably do this later. I just wanted to prevent what happened to me the other night. I had sat down in the bedroom ready to watch some Stargate on the tablet, and the tablet had crashed.

An hour and a half later I was back to operational again....and it was time for bed.

Nothing could irk me more than wasted time like that. So this is what I came up with.

TechVendetta

Developer
Aug 17, 2011
If you use linux, I have the 32 and 64 bit binaries to build a system image from a system folder. The user image is done similarly, I'm releasing a fake flash recovery VERY soon as well, if cwr's nand backup doesn't work I could add backups to the update app im working on.

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
That sounds awesome. Yes, I do have one of my systems running Ubuntu 10 32-bit, and I'm very familiar with Linux.

TechVendetta

Developer
Aug 17, 2011
Alright I'm at work right now, ill try to upload the binaries tonight.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Tablet Forum