iMiTO AM801 / Blitz RS8 Mini-HOWTO

enviro8

Feb 29, 2012
Probably because you have ICS (version 4.0.3) installed and
1. Visionary cannot be used with an ICS device
2. Possibly ConnectBot does not work with ICS
3. GingerBreak can only be used with Gingerbread (such as version 2.3.1) not with ICS

sgharib

Mar 20, 2012
Probably because you have ICS (version 4.0.3) installed and
1. Visionary cannot be used with an ICS device
2. Possibly ConnectBot does not work with ICS
3. GingerBreak can only be used with Gingerbread (such as version 2.3.1) not with ICS

so, this means that there is no way to root the tablet using ICS (Andorid 4.0.3) ???

I have asked before : if the mentioned way is suitable for the ICS ....and the answer was yes .

anyway, if yoy can guide me on making root for that pc tablet, I would be grateful.

gdanko

Dec 21, 2010
so, this means that there is no way to root the tablet using ICS (Andorid 4.0.3) ???

I have asked before : if the mentioned way is suitable for the ICS ....and the answer was yes .

anyway, if yoy can guide me on making root for that pc tablet, I would be grateful.

Re-read the howto

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

nick0742

Feb 20, 2012
Re-read the howto

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ok so how can i connect using adb it will not let me find the device when i have it plugged in .
can you please make it more clear how you connected to the tablet with adb?

enviro8

Feb 29, 2012
ok so how can i connect using adb it will not let me find the device when i have it plugged in .
can you please make it more clear how you connected to the tablet with adb?

I also cannot connect my ICS tablet to my PC, the version of ICS that I have upgraded to does not seem to recognise the USB connection.

Is there a setting or a special trick involved?

I wonder if gdanko could post his version of his backup.img extracted from his version of ICS?

This would be much appreciated.

enviro8

Feb 29, 2012
I have written a “How To” for the iMiTO AM801 and Blitz RS8 Android tablets.

This “How To” has several purposes.

It will show how to:
# back up and save your full system
# recover your tablet if you “brick” it
# install and try other Android versions
# go back to your original set up.

It contains updates for:
# Gingerbread (iMiTO and Blitz versions 2.3.1)
# two versions of Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) both iMiTO versions 4.0.3.

While the method will save the critical system files and apps, it will not save those apps that you subsequently installed and they will have to be backed up separately.

The process involves rooting your tablet, but the rooting method used is reversible.

The rooting method will only work with the Gingerbread versions (2.3.x) and not with Ice Cream Sandwich versions (4.0.x).

I have uploaded the “How To” as a MS Word 97-2003 “Doc” to:

QOOY - Pick your file host - Download - Have_you_ever_wanted_to_try_Ice_Cream_Sandwich.doc

enviro8

Feb 29, 2012
I have an Imito tablet and an Android TV box.

I have updated both to ICS and both have problems related to the USB connection. This would appear to be a problem with ICS.

I am also trying to root both units however since I cannot access the USB on the tablet I have not been able to do so.

In relation to the TV box I posted the following question:
“It would seem to me we should be able to easily root the TV box.

Simplistically we went from Frodo to Gingerbread both which were rooted and then to ICS which was not rooted and then back to Gingerbread which was rooted.

It seems to me that there must be an entry in the Gingerbread update that roots the tablet that is absent in the ICS update or the ICS update has an entry that unroots the tablet.

Opening the update with either WinRAR or 7-Zip reveals the folders, files and applications loaded and one of these should be the root/no_root one.

I can identify the applications to be loaded but which/where is the critical rooting file?”

The response was:
/system/xbin/su

Then a poster constructed an img file which updated the “su” file in ICS which rooted the TV Box.

This must have been a special file with special permissions.

Now I do not know how to write an img file for the tablet but if someone how to or can tell me how, I believe we can use gdanko’s post to find the correct “su” and make an update.img then we can circumvent the USB access problem to rooting the Imito.

gdanko

Dec 21, 2010
Regarding USB. Do lsusb on a Linux box and get the ID of the device. Look up adb_usb.ini. this will get USB working.

The biggest issues for the ICS rom are wifi losing connection and general slowness.

I'm trying to build a device tree for this guy so I can build from source.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

enviro8

Feb 29, 2012
Has anyone been able to unpack the Imito ROM?

I have tried using RK2918 unpacking and packing tools such as AFPTool and the Wendal method. We know that the RKBatchTool can load the ROM into the Imito so it must not be too different but the AFPTool does not unpack the Imito ROM but does unpack other RK2918 ROMS.

Can anyone help?

enviro8

Feb 29, 2012
After lengthy experimentation I have been able to link my tablet with my PC via the USB and root it as per post #1 thanks to ganko.

I have access via Devices but still nothing shows up under Computer.

But I can use ADB which is OK.

I tried a range of methods with varying success but no complete success such as various wirless ADB, FTP transfers USB free methods.

Most of them did not work as the ADB reported the tablet off line while others failed at the mount stage.

However I still am not clear as to how I regained or initiated partial USB access. I will have to try and replicate the problem and determine the steps that I used.

Last edited:

SunTzuTech

Jul 14, 2012
After lengthy experimentation I have been able to link my tablet with my PC via the USB and root it as per post #1 thanks to ganko.

I have access via Devices but still nothing shows up under Computer.

But I can use ADB which is OK.

I tried a range of methods with varying success but no complete success such as various wirless ADB, FTP transfers USB free methods.

Most of them did not work as the ADB reported the tablet off line while others failed at the mount stage.

However I still am not clear as to how I regained or initiated partial USB access. I will have to try and replicate the problem and determine the steps that I used.

I'm not sure if I missed it in the documentation, but in the firmware update I downloaded, there was a tools directory.
Once I installed the rockusb driver, everything worked.

SunTzuTech

Jul 14, 2012
I'm not sure if I missed it in the documentation, but in the firmware update I downloaded, there was a tools directory.
Once I installed the rockusb driver, everything worked.

Just a heads up. The tools directory from the firmware update, I was able
to use the 32-bit (AMD2600) Win 7 driver on my Win 7 Home premium. I
tried the 64-bit version on my other box and it wouldn't load. I ended up
using the Vista 64-bit driver, and that recognized it.

Hope this helps folks. I spent more time dorking with the driver on multiple
systems, than I did actually doing the FW upgrade.

/SZT