in over my head I think

bunkobabe22

Mar 6, 2012
I am a new Acer A500 Iconia tablet user and I am having difficulties trying to figure out how to go "back" or exit a screen when I am reading an EW magazine that I downloaded. There is no button for me to use in order to return to my desktop. I found the same problem occurs when I am playing some games or listening to the mp3 program. The only way I can get out of these screens is to shut down the device altogether. Any suggestions?

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi BunkoBabe, congratulations on your new tablet and welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Acer Iconia Tab A500 Forum section for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion. I'm sure the folks there will be able to help you. Good luck!

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
You just hit the little home figure down on the bottom left.
There is the arrow which is the back button, the house that is the home button and the other button does different things depending on the program you are in.

bunkobabe22

Mar 6, 2012
You just hit the little home figure down on the bottom left.
There is the arrow which is the back button, the house that is the home button and the other button does different things depending on the program you are in.

The home button doesn't work while I'm in these programs, neither do the back arrow button and the other button in the bottom left.

bunkobabe22

Mar 6, 2012
The home button doesn't work while I'm in these programs, neither do the back arrow button and the other button in the bottom left.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
are you using the EW magazine app to read the magazine?
My home button works in all my programs.
Sometimes you do not see, but see a dot in it's place, and it still works.

Last edited:

bunkobabe22

Mar 6, 2012
Yes, I'm using the EW Next Issue app. I can see the home button and the back arrow but they are not functional while I am in that app. I get the same problem when I'm in Play Dice, Pinball and MP3 Music Player. The only way for me to get back to the home screen is to shut the whole device down. Help!!!

Jan 16, 2012
Yes, I'm using the EW Next Issue app. I can see the home button and the back arrow but they are not functional while I am in that app. I get the same problem when I'm in Play Dice, Pinball and MP3 Music Player. The only way for me to get back to the home screen is to shut the whole device down. Help!!!
I have the same app, but it works fine. Did you download BOTH the Next Issue app AND the EW app? You should be usimg the app that says EW and in small letters it will say Next Issue. You can update your issues from there and easily exit the app with the bottom left buttons

bunkobabe22

Mar 6, 2012
Yes, I have the same things. I have downloaded both EW and Next Issue apps. I even just uninstalled and reinstalled thinking that maybe there is a bug. I am now in an issue and the only buttons that work are the ones within the app: Cover, Contents, Page Viewer, Library, Store. The back arrow, Home button, and other window button are all visible, but don't work when I touch them.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Yes, I have the same things. I have downloaded both EW and Next Issue apps. I even just uninstalled and reinstalled thinking that maybe there is a bug. I am now in an issue and the only buttons that work are the ones within the app: Cover, Contents, Page Viewer, Library, Store. The back arrow, Home button, and other window button are all visible, but don't work when I touch them.

Quick test.

Go into one of the standard apps on your tablet eg the web browser. Then hit the house button. Do you get back to the main screen? if you can open another app or settings on your tablet. Then hit the screens/apps active button (the one on the right). Do you see a mini pop up with the browser? If you not getting these basic actions then your touch screen may be faulty. Or you may be able to do an adjustment for your screen in your settings menu somewhere. I stumbled on this by pure accident.

Otherwise your tablet needs repair.

bunkobabe22

Mar 6, 2012
Hi Douvie. I tried what you suggested and yes, I can open the web browser and I do get the screen/apps button to pop open. I went back and tried it on the apps that were giving me a hard time and I found that after multiple tries, I was able to get back to home. It didn,t work every time and I,m not sure what type of "touch" did it, but at least I know that it can work. I wonder if this means my screen is faulty since it only works sporadically?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Hi Douvie. I tried what you suggested and yes, I can open the web browser and I do get the screen/apps button to pop open. I went back and tried it on the apps that were giving me a hard time and I found that after multiple tries, I was able to get back to home. It didn,t work every time and I,m not sure what type of "touch" did it, but at least I know that it can work. I wonder if this means my screen is faulty since it only works sporadically?
No I think your tablet is fine. You just have to adjust the sensitivity of the touch screen in the SETTINGS menu. It maybe that your screen touch sensitivity maybe set wrong.

Some apps, like file expert allow you to hit the BACK button more than once. Maybe some of the apps you are using have this requirement also. I don't know the app you are using.

One app that I use is a game called GALAXY ON FIRE II which really requires a multitouch sensitive touch screen and it works fine. Graphics is good also. I did increase the sensitivity a little but I lightly touch the screen, as I'm doing now, and it all works fine.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Oops I'd better clarify.

I don't know what EW is. I have never used it.