In Search Of 7" Linuxable Tablet

tuxic

Jul 12, 2015
Hi,

I ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 (7 inch, wifi, no phone) with Android 4.4.2 ...and after finding that the sellers description, that it has a quadcomm snapdragon S400 Chipset is most
probably wrong (it seems, that this device is manufactured with a Marvell PXA1088 CPU only)
I think it was a wrong choice. So here my question regarding the choice of the "right"
tablet...
Background: (Beside many other things) I want to decode shortwave audio signals like
morse code with this device. So I need a working audio input (Line-In or Mic-In, a bare
microphone will only work in absolute silence...no go). For that I must compile applications
for that tablet. I am experienced in linux software development and embedded devices
(Beaglebone Black, Arietta G25, both ARM). So there must be a compiler for the CPU/chipset
(most probably LLVM or GCC variants).

I want to install a vanilla Linux
(chrooted or natively) on that device (Gentoo, Mint or whatever will be available for that device).
I will try to make thar Linux as "bare" as possible.
I will not use the device for playing heavy 3D-games.
But it will need quite some cpu horsepower for audio processing (see above).
And: I definetly DONT want any phone functionality (4G, 3G, LTE, GSM...) on that device!

My money resources are limited.
I like things, which are build for lasting a longer period. That means for example that I would prefer devices, which internal LiPO-cell can be changed (or can be changed in some "non official" ways).

Any recommandations what to buy?

Thank you very much in advance for any help!
Best regards,
tuxic

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
There are no low budget android devices that can do as you require.
Best bet is to google Linux tablets.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C using Tapatalk