Infotmic - Update Version deb-r2.1.1561

Richardo Crispus

Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
Backup your programs using Titanium Backup and your files to a Dropbox before following this.
The update servers are getting overloaded so I recommend doing a manual install (more likely to wipe files and programs but I can verify this works)

Download this file, write it to a fat32 micro sd (ensure the update.zip file is the only one on the card!) then get into the recovery menu (menu and vol + I think), choose update from zip... Leave it for a bit and it should work

If it doesn't work clear the cache etc... (from the recovery menu)

You can find your registration code at Settings-about device-certificate. It's a very long number (I personally just took a screenshot and put it in my dropbox)

Hope this helps,
Richardo

Last edited:

johnfrankiej

Jan 3, 2011
so nothing major in the update :(

Dare I use mybackup pro/appinstaller while updates downloading (and risk another crash) before I run update! Most of my APKs are backed up to disk anyways, just user/system settings to do really, why I didnt back them up also I dont know! Only had it a week tho.

Avoid using any apps while downloading. It took long enough to download. I had it sitting next to computer and kept an eye on it all evening.

I was under the impression that Skype apk's were not supported by this version but only by 2.2 Android.
Skype official page says it supports 2.1 and up.
I can confirm Skype works (on the test call at least). Haven't tried a video call - don't expect it to work.

By the way can you please mention the names of apps you had to reinstall??? And if you had backed them up beforehand and how ?? Please.
I've rooted the pad with z4root [APP] z4root - xda-developers so far I have only done a temporary root.
Used 'MyBackup Root' to save all my apps and data to the SD card.
I was able to install off the SD card once the system had updated (without having to download from market)
Still had to enter in all my details into aps (email address etc)

Hi John,
Did you experience any problems with the download dropping it's connection & taking many presses of the pause button to try and restore the connection?
Yeah, I had this a lot toward the end of the download, from about 90% up. Traffic must have increased around this time. Had to keep hitting pause and it restarted.

So, have we established exactly what is in the update?
Stock aps are updated. As Skype is now working, I would say they have fixed up a few bug fixes.
No changelog that I can see, so can't really give more detail.

Is it worth updating? Does it un-root a rooted tablet?
Still undecided on this... 12hours for 80MB is too long to d/l, if I had to do it again I wouldn't bother....
Having said that, with Skype now working I am pleased, so this is a bonus.

I beleive that this update offers nothing except to create total confusion.
That's pretty true...

Could someone give information on how to do a system backup? I have the 1561 update notice on my SuperPAD too. When I clicked the "System Update" button the Chinese character message caused me to rethink and "Cancel". However, I have seen one "successful" update thread on androidforums.com.
Root your phone (link above), use any of the market apps, Titanium backup, mybackup root, etc (search backup in Market). When updated you can go back in a install aps. I think there is an app called appinstaller which will do this for you, but I haven't used it. I use mybackup root, which is supposed to restore device. Before I upgraded (while on 1170) it did not work, so i didn't try it on 1561 - however, after I re-installed aps, it looks like the restore function of mybackup root now works (so wasted some of my time...)

WOW reader which worked fine before now seems to temporarily lock everything up,
& I've noticed screen refresh rate if anything is slower than before.I've also had a couple of occasions now when the tablet has frozen for up to 2 or 3 minutes,altogether a not very impressive upgrade in my opinion.
Haven't noticed problems with WOW reader or screen refresh. Will update if I notice any problems.
Have had a couple of freeze ups, which lasted for 15-20 seconds, one when I opened Skype and one when using root explorer. Otherwise no trouble.

Can someone take a screenshot or picture of the Chinese character? I want to figure out what it says.
Is this what you're after?
$2011-1-16-9-57-40.jpg

I have problems with internet browsing after the firmware update.

When i want to go to a website, the page loads, but at the end of the page is loaded (i can see already the content in the browser) the browser crashes and turns back to the home screen. I used the normal Browser, Dolphin HD and Skyfire. The last two browsers i uninstalled, installed again but i still have the problem. Before the firmware update, internet browsing was working fine.
I use Dolphin HD, so far visited around 10 pages. The last one crashed just as you note above. Not sure about this...

I want the last 24 hours of my life back!!!
Agree.

I'm using this update now, apparently the mic now works with all programs (eg Skype) I've also noticed it connects to wifi much much faster it 2 seconds rather than 10.

Run a full titanium backup before doing this!

Download this file, write it to a fat32 micro sd then get into the recovery menu (menu and vol + I think), choose update from zip... Leave it for a bit and it should work
Good advice.

And for my final comment. Those of you that don't want to sit around for 12 hours downloading the update, use this link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5010016/update_f.zip

or
deb-r2.1.1568_update_zip.zip

If you have any further questions about the update just ask.

IMHO the update is ok but certainly not worth wasting your day.

I'm using LauncherPro, so can't report on wowhome (Renamed wowhome.apk to wowhome.apkz http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/gome-flytouch-ii/4881-wowhome-wowpad-experience.html )

I would say performance is around the same - if it is better it isn't too noticeable (maybe 10%??).
Looks like they have prettied up the apps a little, this is the SD wowFileManager;
$2011-1-16-8-7-26.jpg

Hoping this to be more stable than 1170, as I had green screen twice and kernel panic twice.
I'll send any further findings through later today.

John

Last edited:

thymox

Jan 15, 2011
Thanks peeps. I may update just to get the Skype and SIP working nicely. Although I bought the tab pre-rooted, I'm kinda looking forward to rooting it myself. I am, however, going to wait until I have found the registration slip so I can re-register it post-update.

Cheers.
Grant. :)

Richardo Crispus

Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks peeps. I may update just to get the Skype and SIP working nicely. Although I bought the tab pre-rooted, I'm kinda looking forward to rooting it myself. I am, however, going to wait until I have found the registration slip so I can re-register it post-update.

Cheers.
Grant. :)

I've posted above how to find your registration code, I hope it can help you out :)

Richardo

Orion_uk

Dec 31, 2010
hi all, not near a computer atm, my pad not showing 'thanks' link/button! will 'thank' all involved in sharing in the morning when i can get to a computer! strange how i see 'report user' button but no 'thanks' !!
anyhow, you have all been great so will show my gratitude in this post until the morning. thanks to the kind link providers i will prob have another go 2mo ;)

warmest regards, Neil.

Danish

Jan 15, 2011
Hi, I have downloaded the new firmware, the tablet reboots but now its stock at the Infotmic screen! What to do now?

johnfrankiej

Jan 3, 2011
Hi, I have downloaded the new firmware, the tablet reboots but now its stock at the Infotmic screen! What to do now?
Have you turned off then on again? Does it get stuck at the same place again?
Hold down power for 10 secs to force off. Wait a min then power on again.

Ikearat

Dec 27, 2010
Ok, so I went through the whole day-long download, did my backups, turned loose the update on my tablet, put back all my apps... I can't see what I went through all that for.

Unless you are looking to correct some problem or directly address the (very) few improvements (Skype, VOIP, etc) I recommend you just leave your working tablet alone.

Perhaps some day Android and iOS will get a grip on the idea of making OS upgrades/changes -without- wiping apps and user settings. There, I'm done, thanks for reading :)

Last edited:

Danish

Jan 15, 2011
No, but I have now :) It still works but the tablet is not opdated! I tryed to opdate again, but im stock again at the Infotmic screen!

Jan 11, 2011
Sorry to hear its taking so long for you guys to download. Mine only took four hours lol. I can confirm that Skype is now working but the only other real change I can find is alot of the text is now English instead of Chinese.

Richardo Crispus

Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
The CCplayer now allows you to play from flashdrives/external storage... That's the one update I've really been looking for. The wifi also connects faster...

Richardo