Initial WiFi setup problems...

Discussion in 'Augen Gentouch' started by ScaryBob, Jul 31, 2010.

1. ScaryBob

ScaryBob Junior Member

Having read every bit of advice and reviews, I picked up my Gentouch at Kmart today. Everything works as expected -- looks and works very similar to my Droid X, including the WiFi setup. Problem is, even though my Droid X has no problems connecting to my wireless network at home, my Gentouch will not. I put in the network name, triple checked the password, the Gentouch knows what encryption settings I have, but does not actually connect. WiFi is enabled of course; I've deleted and re-entered the network information several times. I can live with the other limitations of this device, but WiFi not working is a dealbreaker!

Anyone have any similar problems? No response yet from Augen support, nothing else in the FAQs on their site.

2. probbiethe1

probbiethe1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried removing the password from your wireless router that has been known to work, or try resetting your router and tablet and see if that helps.

3. dadown

dadown Junior Member

When I enabled WiFi, it found my router and asked for a password. After entering the password, it registered with the router, got an IP address and I've been browsing the internet just fine. I was even able to use the file browser to access files on my Win7 PC. FTP connections also work, although it has a tendancy to hang when requesting directory contents.

My main complaint is that I can't download anything from the Android Store. It says Starting Download and then just hangs. :(

Back to your WiFi connection, you might also try seeing if you can connect using a public hot-spot.

4. ScaryBob

ScaryBob Junior Member

OK, I will give those a try... thanks.

5. probbiethe1

what kind of tablet do you have?

6. dadown

dadown Junior Member

A Kmart Gentouch.

7. RemyL75

RemyL75 Junior Member

Gentouch has problems accessing the Android Market. A patch was suppose to be released on 7/30/2010, but they only released the drivers for USB connectivity. Hopefully a patch will be out within the next few days to address that. As for the wi-fi connectivity problems, what is the level of security on your router (wep, wpa, etc.)??

8. probbiethe1

Scarybob did that work for you.

dadown until the patch comes out you can side load apps by downloading them to a memory card and then using a file explorer to open them and install them

9. dadown

dadown Junior Member

slideme.org has a variety on Android apps that you can download.

10. xaueious

xaueious Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Asus Transformer TF300, Huwaei Ideos S7-104, HSG X5A, (Past APAD IMX515, APAD RK2808, RK2818 RT7)
    If your wifi has issues after changing routers or locations, it may be a hardware issue. The Telechips TCC8902 platform the Augen is equipped with is not all that robust. I wouldn't be surprised if there are quality control issues.

11. tipstir

tipstir Member Developer

Tablet / Device:
    COBY KYROS 7015 | 7015A
    Market fix release date is now 8/10/2010 (they have a manual one you could try though on DEV site)
    Screen Calibration release is by 8/6/2010

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=739504

Current Issues and Bugs (more to come)
    No volume hardkeys - Need get semi-transparent on-screen controls for these function
    Recovery is useless (Hold Home+Power while booting up) - No way to access functions in Recovery menu
    Software is a mess - we really need a new recovery, a cleaned up ROM, and overclocking!
    In adb shell, doing a "reboot recovery" reboots the device to a black screen and doesn't bring up recovery.
    7/30/10 - Pattern lock doesn't work after setting it up
    7/30/10 - If you have Settings > Applications > Development > Stay Awake checked, the screen stays awake even when unplugged

Development Status
    Root Access - http://augendev.wikispaces.com/Rooting
    Market Working! - http://augendev.wikispaces.com/Market Fix
    - Issues? - http://augendev.wikispaces.com/messa.../home/25943265
    Custom Recovery - In Progress
    Overclocking - To-Do

12. SkippW28

SkippW28 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Droid tablet and phone
    Having a similar issue.. Just got my tablet.. Have wifi in the house.. Have multi pc's blackberry, iphones and droid phones connected but tablet won't
    Turn on Wifi and it scans and finds nothing. I manually enter info and save and still nothing.. I have reset the router, changed the PW and still nothing..

Any Ideas?