Inside Look at Vizio

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Vizio reboots the PC: a quiet American success story takes on sleeping giants | The Verge

Maybe we should cut Vizio a little slack. I didn't realize they were this small. This clip focuses on their new PCs but still very interesting. The bad news is that I got the feeling they only have the resources to focus on one thing at a time and that is clearly PCs right now. Don't expect much in the way of support for the VTab1008 or for the tablets they previewed at CES since PCs are clearly their priority at the moment. It does look like when they get to tablets again though we will be seeing close to pure ICS :)

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I had one of their TVs back when few people knew the name. One of the best TVs I ever owned. Lost it in a burglary and as an emergency I had to replace it with a Toshiba, (long story) but wish I had that 42" set back.

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
I've got a 42" Vizio and I love it. They're not putting their tabs on the back burner though. They are still releasing their 10" and presented it at CES 2012 also running their highly modified version of HC. It's a great looking tab!

10-tablet-with-wifi-vizio.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I would disagree with the comment about not putting the tablets on the back burner. Showing something at CES doesn't mean anything in itself for taking a product to market and there has been zero mention about tablet plans since then. They were lauding HC on the 10" and still using a heavy Vizio skin. Clearly using HC for a new tablet would be a joke at this point. I suspect we may see ICS on the VTab1008 before the 10" is released so they have a chance to work out any potential ICS issues.

Launching a 3 model range of laptops and an all-in-one is a huge task. I think they will come back to the tablets but would be surprised to see anything meaningful come of it until next year. Even if they release the 10" at the end of this year I fully expect it to be a test bed for the future just like the current tablet. Maybe the third generation sometime of at the end of next year will match up to what it looks like they are doing with the PCs.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
I guess I don't think of 2013 as a long ways away, but then again I guess we are talking about the world of electronics. However, if what they did with their computers is any indication I hope they take some extra time and get it right.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I guess I don't think of 2013 as a long ways away, but then again I guess we are talking about the world of electronics. However, if what they did with their computers is any indication I hope they take some extra time and get it right.

2013 isn't far away but like you said, in the world of electronics... that means a whole new CES. Hopefully they will take the time to get it right. The 10" tablet they demoed is not right for a variety of reasons and won't match the design they have set in their PCs. Though that isn't required, a unified product line up makes sense. Hopefully skipping a cycle doesn't hurt them. Tablets are still pretty new but there is some really cool stuff coming from others and they will really need to step up their game from what they have currently shown.