Installation Aborted?!?

liquid85

Apr 5, 2011
ok here's my situation. I was running nookiefroyo and everthing was working fine but I wanted to upgrade to cm7 rc4. So last night I prepared my sd card with cwm and put the zip for cm7 on the card. I formatted the data, cache and system but then when I went to install the zip it says "installation aborted". So then I tried to restore my nandroid backup. It went through all the restore, took about fifteen minutes, but when I restarted it got stuck on the screen with the android text in the upper left of the screen. I've done all the steps about three times. I even tried a different rom, nookiecomb, but still got the "installation aborted" error. What can I do to get it working again? Thanks for any help.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Sounds like you NC is screwed up software wise and you may need to go down the long process road of reflashing your stock software.

Ned more info
-Are you rooted?
-Installed Nookie Froyo emmc or sd card?
-Any CWM recovery version internally installed?
-What version CMW recovery do you have on bootable sd card?

tip:
Stay out of "advanced" menu of CWM recovery even if some tutorials tell you to unless you know what you are doing. There is almost never a need to format system when flashing roms.

Last edited:

liquid85

Apr 5, 2011
Am I rooted? - I was so I suppose I still am
nookie froyo was on emmc
I don't think cwm is installed internally anymore because if I turn it on without an sd card it just gets stuck on "touch the future of reading."
what version of cwm on sd? - I'm not sure anymore because I've tried a few since last night, but Im pretty sure it was the most recent when this started.

I'm pretty sure I've messed something up pretty bad. I did a wipe. Im not really sure what that does but another thread I found recommended that. How would I go down the long process of flashing my stock software? And what caused this in the fist place? Nookie froyo was working fine and then I just followed the stickie here on installing cm7?

liquid85

Apr 5, 2011
well I don't know what was different but while I was waiting for the nook files to download I tried my nandroid backup again. It worked. Everything is back like it was! I really want cm7 though. So if i could get some help going from nookie froyo to cm7 that would be great.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
well I don't know what was different but while I was waiting for the nook files to download I tried my nandroid backup again. It worked. Everything is back like it was! I really want cm7 though. So if i could get some help going from nookie froyo to cm7 that would be great.

Just flash CM7 from CWR. There have been a bunch of people lately who have been executing wipes as per the instructions and all it has done is get them into trouble :confused:.

This is my personal opinion but> Don't wipe, don't format>copy the zip to your sd and re-boot into CWR and>install zip from sd. If anything wipe data and cache but don't format/wipe system as anything you are wiping will be over-written by the new ROM. Also keep in mind you MUST let the system settle. 10 some times 15 minutes after a reboot into a new ROM. It may seem as if it is stuck but it's not. If you see the CM logo give it at least 10 min before you try anything else.

Also don't forget the Gapps zip either. My routine for nightlies etc, flash rom, install gapps, install oc kernal reboot. Never had an issue I couldn't manage with another hard reboot or a few changes in settings.

I have been on CM7 for a while now and I tried Phiremod and a few of the other roms weeks ago, never formatted, wiped etc. Haven't had an issue. Again this is just me but it is always worth a shot. Especially as you have now discovered that you have a solid back-up. What's the worst that can happen, you have to restore your backup.

:)And never ever format system, unless you want to go through all this again:)

I'm with Rico the Advanced CWR menu is for, well, advanced users:cool: if you are not clear on EXACTLY what will happen when you execute those commands, Don't.

Last edited:

liquid85

Apr 5, 2011
thanks a lot for the help. I'll give it a shot in a few minutes and let you know.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Make sure you have the latest version of Rom Manager and ClockworkMod> Rom Managerv3.0.2.0 > CWR 3.0.1.0. Only thing I can think of without a little more info. Also do you have CWR installed internally or are you using it from an sd card? Just curious.

One other thought I just had, make sure that you "re-boot into recovery" from Rom Manager. Do not try to "Install Rom from SD Card" you have to be in ClockworkMod for it to work. Again just a thought.

Last edited:

liquid85

Apr 5, 2011
as far as the stuck on nook screen, I got it to boot by reloading cwm, taking out th sd card and rebooting from there. So at least I got it to turn back on. I'm using cwr 3.0.0.6 so I guess I need to upgrade. where can I get the new one for an 8 gig card? Rom manager is ver 3.0.1.0. Should i upgrade that too? I'm not sure if clockwork is installed on the nook. I think it is but I know for sure I've been booting cwm from the sd card for all these installations. Thanks for your help. oh yeah the version of cm7 i'm trying to flash is nightly 38 if that helps.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Update RomManager, then "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" first option in the RomManager menu. This will ensure you have everything you need. The issue you have been having(I think) is that you are trying to do all of this from an sd and I don't think it is formatting correctly. Make sure all the apps are updated to the latest version copy the Rom to the sd, if you have another sd, one without CWR on it you will be better off. If not copy everything from your sd reformat the sd preferably in a computer and then try again. It is important to note that your sd needs to be formatted as a "Primary" you can achieve this with a program like Easus Partition Manager.

Don't, I repeat don't try to flash the CM7 rom from a CWR sd. You will only cause yourself further issues. As stated above, make sure you have RM and CWR up to date and installed INTERNALLY before you proceed. There are ext3/ext4 formatting issues that are probably giving you issues. Go all internal and try again.