Installing a Better Busybox? The EASY way

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Hacking' started by yann2, Oct 16, 2012.

1. yann2

yann2 Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Le Pan TC970, Archos 101, Palm Pre2 webOS, HP Touchpad
    Just wanted to report and consolidate all the info on this, a project I have entered into following lepanero's awesome, super detailed guide(registration required, as it's on the Development forum) on how to install Busybox into your /system/bin and /system/xbin directories.

The rationale for this installation? Busybox offers a HUGE number of Unix command line utilities, many of which will be missing into a system that doesn't have Busybox installed. A lot of tweaking and advanced apps depend on Busybox to work, and some come with their onw, bundled in. Example, Titanium Backup. ;)

lepanero wrote the guide to do that via command line, and using a couple of scripts to simplify parts of the job. It's harder than I thought at first, and I spent hours working on a Terminal screen, with the less than optimal on-screen keyboard on the tablet; not my idea of fun, but I learned on the process.

I wrote replies on his thread, reporting my experience. Later, came across some Busybox installer utility on the Play Store, and tried that. The first one I used was not good (busybox installer, by jrummy apps). :(

Reading at XDA, I found a recommendation for a BETTER busybox installer, this one made by stericson:

[​IMG]
    Used stericson's BusyBox Installer, and it is much better and nicer than jrummy's. Way better - this one WORKS.

I tested it installing busybox (which comes with the program, in a number of versions - you can select what you prefer).

My tablet is an LP1, currently running CM7 Beta 6.1, fresh install for testing purposes. It CAME with a version of Busybox, made by the CM7 team. Version number was 1.20.2, as reported in this screen output :

There was NO Busybox in the /system/bin directory. I installed the new version (stericson's) on both /system/xbin and /system/bin.

With the CM7 busybox, an ls -ls command on the xbin directory already showed a number of symlinks, commands that were really executed by busybox :

[​IMG]

...and I saved a full directory listing for both the bin and xbin directories, before and after doing th installations via stericson's installer. I thought lepanero would like to llok at those, and verify how the installer handled the system/bin directory in special, as it had a number of symlinks tied to the toolbox binary. (will attach an archive with all 4 directory listings, before and after the new installation)

For the bin directory, I used the Advanced install option, and it allows you to disable any particular part of it to be installed; supposed you preferred the ls command via toolbox? you can keep it that way; just disable stericson's installer for the ls command; done.

It recommended NOT replacing some binaries, consistent with lepanero's advice too. Here's a partial screenshot - note the date and dd commands, which the installer left alone (handled by toolbox as previously).

[​IMG]

The screenshot below was taken from my computer, and shows the output of an ls -la (directory with a lot of details, file permissions, owner, etc listed), as well as the colourized directory listing.

[​IMG]

Which is very pretty, and reminds me of all the time I worked with 4dos, a great command line replacement for MS's command.com DOS command interpreter. I had the same colour dirs, and loved it.

I am finished testing, this is the second time I run an install test, and truly recommend it.

This is a well made, well thought application, which makes what could turn out to be a long command line session into a few clicks, without breaking anything.

[​IMG]
    stericson's BusyBox Installer, FREE at the Play Store.

Two Thumbs Up.
    [​IMG]
    5 Stars Rating by Yann2.
    ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012