Installing android 4.0 on older tablet

actionyakson

Mar 14, 2012
I'm assuming that you can get a cheapo android tablet with like 2.2 or 2.3 on it then root it and install android 4.0 ice cream sandwich.
Is this possible?
How is it done? How do you download and install 4.0???

daywalker03

Mar 14, 2012
In some cases, the tablet maker might provide an update, depending on how old the tablet is. Building a new rom takes time and requires that you have access to either an Apple computer or a PC running some form of Linux; it cannot be done on a Windows PC.

daywalker03

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Android OS is specific to hardware so each version of Android has to be specifically built for your hardware or hardware with the same chipset. So not any cheapo tablet will do. You need to find one with a strong developer and user community that will allow you to put Android 4.0 in the device even if the manufacture doesn't take the time to provide it for you.

I suggest looking at the Nook Color if you want a cheap tablet running 4.0. It can be had for under $120 for refurbished units and meets the requirements of a strong dev and user community.

JimReid

Mar 1, 2012
You might have some success if you go to the manufacturers website and see if they offer and ICS update for any of their equipment. Then see which one is closest to what you have. You didn't mention a manufacturer in your posting. I'm trying to do the same thing with an Asus Eee Pad SL101. They don't have an ICS update but the TF101 is similar (trying to find out how close the two are now) and I can download an update from Asus for ICS 4.0 for the TF101. If they are close I will then try to install on my SL101.

Hope this helps.

Jim

liezeltine

Nov 2, 2012
Please help.
My brother
keeps on trying a lot of passwords to get in to my tablet last night until it states to locked out

because of a lot of trials, it prompts username and password of gmail

I tried to enter my account but it didn't work.

I turned it off and opened it again but still the error message popped out

I turned it off again and push the reset button

I tried to open it but it keeps on loading.

I think the only solution is to reprogram the tablet KNC 4.0.

Help