Installing/Rooting with Clockwork Recovery - should I perform a factory reset first?

arrjaytea

Mar 8, 2011
I'm thinking I'm going to flash Honeycomb tonight - but have already rooted with Autonooter and dicked around a bit.

I noticed that booting CWM not only gives you the option to root that way, but also to install GAPPS, etc. that don't come in NookieFroyo or are difficult to get running after Autonooter - so all I'm wondering is if it would be in my best interest to force a factory reset before proceeding with CWM.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
It doesn't matter...if you are jumping to the very edge of NookColor beta OS's (which is what honeycomb is, with very little support out there) There is no need to do a factory reset, since you will be wiping it out the internal memory anyway. You can't install CWM internally unless you are rooted anyway, so going backward won't help.

arrjaytea

Mar 8, 2011
So basically, and grossly oversimplified, all I should have to do is burn a Clockwork SD, place the flashable Honeycomb ROM in the root directory of the SD card, boot my NC to CW using the disc, and install Honeycomb from there, correct?

Appreciate the response M8. Thanks.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
So basically, and grossly oversimplified, all I should have to do is burn a Clockwork SD, place the flashable Honeycomb ROM in the root directory of the SD card, boot my NC to CW using the disc, and install Honeycomb from there, correct?

Appreciate the response M8. Thanks.

Yep

10chars

arrjaytea

Mar 8, 2011
Excellent. Thanks again, looking forward to playing with the preview build and then deciding whether to just keep it or move back to a custom FroYo Rom.

Sent from my rooted Droid 2 using Android Tablet Forum App

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Why don't you just use the SD version of HC?

Pull the card out and you are back to where you are now. Great way to play around and look at the preview, but easy to go back.

arrjaytea

Mar 8, 2011
I guess my reason for wanting to flash it directly was entirely performance based - the thread at XDA seems to have reached a general consensus that HC runs much more smoothly when flashed - but I am more than open to another opinion. There's certainly a ton of information to wade through, so I make no bones about the fact that I've barely scratched the surface.

I was also left under the impression that I could just boot with CW again after I flashed HC to the internal memory, and then just flash another ROM if I so chose. No?

If that is an option, in reality all I am trying to do is create a suitablt customizable Android tablet based on FroYo or higher that will pretty much exclusively be used as a reader (internet browsing, light email, Facebook, etc.)

Sent from my DROID2

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
There is still an issue of going to the forward ext4 (required now for eMMc HC) and going back to a ext3 ROM (phiremod v2beta or froyo 0.6.8) easily. Some say its okay, some say its not.

As of right now, HC is not a daily driver...still has lots of force closes, red flashing boxes around the edges. It is not stable.

arrjaytea

Mar 8, 2011
Hmmm, so if you'll indulge me, would the following work: flash something like phiremod (using the same method described above) as a daily driver, then use the SD method to test drive HC?

As I said before, at the moment the only things I am absolutely looking for are a relatively stable, fully customizable (just through LP, Zeam, or ADW) tablet OS that includes the gapps suite and a working Market. I'm eager to play with HC, but functionality is a priority, as I really, really want the NC to function as a regular use reader for me.

Sent from my DROID2

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Hmmm, so if you'll indulge me, would the following work: flash something like phiremod (using the same method described above) as a daily driver, then use the SD method to test drive HC?

As I said before, at the moment the only things I am absolutely looking for are a relatively stable, fully customizable (just through LP, Zeam, or ADW) tablet OS that includes the gapps suite and a working Market. I'm eager to play with HC, but functionality is a priority, as I really, really want the NC to function as a regular use reader for me.

Sent from my DROID2

This is exactly what I would do. I am all for playing with/checking out new OS's, but don't do it at the expense of using the device as a daily driver.

I would go with the phiremod v2beta, not phiremod v4. v4 is based on the CM7 nightly n8 and still not ready for primetime.

If you have CWR and ROM Manager running on your current build, you can just put the phiremod v2beta zip file on your sd card and follow the instructions for loading a custom ROM from here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/6386-how-installing-using-clockworkmod-rom-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

arrjaytea

Mar 8, 2011
Alright - one last question here; if I don't have CWR running, can I just burn it to a bootable SD and proceed to install that version of phiremod the same way I described flashing HC above?

Right now I'm running the very barebones NookieFroYo.

Sent from my DROID2

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
In theory it should work arrjay...but I personally haven't tried it that way.

arrjaytea

Mar 8, 2011
Well I think that's the rout I'm going to try tonight, we'll see how she works or if it's back to the drawing board. Just wanna get this puppy up and humming as soon as I can, so I can make it feel as functional as my handset.

Sent from my DROID2

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well, I can tell you from experience that wiping to clean slate and jumping to where I want to be doesn't take too long, as long as you are properly prepared for it! Did it so often, I pretty much wrote my 'revert to stock' FAQ from memory! :)

arrjaytea

Mar 8, 2011
Well as it sits now, I'm a bit stumped. Apparently phiremod does not support WPA wireless, which is a HUGE problem for me as my only option for wireless at home is WPA.

Bummer. Now I'm not sure what to do here...