Instant on?

Andliz

Oct 31, 2011
My wife just saw a person use their iPad and liked the fact that it immediately came on when the cover was opened. Is there an app or way to make the A500 have a similiar function?.

DSent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
That button press too hard for her?

The ipad does not come with that "smart" cover, its an optional extra.

And it is a battery waster too according to my friends, as well as a security flaw.

In side by side tests my acer woke up from a sleeping state faster than my friends ipad2.
But we both had to push the button. Oh the horrors of toil.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Reminds me of the Jetsons. George Jetson was always complaining of his hard day at work with all the buttons to push. We have reached that age of Jetsons/StarTrek.

Fixer

Nov 12, 2011
My A500 does both, as most computer do...sleep, or OFF. If I hold down the power button longer when I shut it down, it offers to Power Off. Pressing OK will shut it down and the next time I startup, it takes a while before I can do something. On the other hand if I press and release the power button, it goes off right now and the next time I press it to turn it on, it comes up right away. As mentioned before, though, it does consume the battery a little faster.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Yes we all know that the tablet has a sleep mode and a full power off.

It is not intended that you turn it off, except to store it for a long time or to comply with air travel regulations.

It's meant to live in sleep mode ready for instant use. Don't be afraid to utilize your battery.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
My wife just saw a person use their iPad and liked the fact that it immediately came on when the cover was opened. Is there an app or way to make the A500 have a similiar function?.

DSent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Goodness me! What will be the next requirement! Turn on by voice command! no even better - A500 being able to read your mind and turn itself on when ever you think of it.

Come on folks - what is so hard about pushing a button? It is like rooting the tablet so that one can have a shutdown button on screen.

There are very good reasons not to have the tablet turn on when cover is removed - if the cover should in anyway dislodge it would turn on the tablet and this presents a real problem.

Chasmanian

Aug 23, 2011
I haven't seen one that turns it on, but I saw one that turns it off. You see, there's a magnetic switch in the iPad that recognizes the closed cover. We don't have one. So the creator of the app used the light sensor to recognize that the cover is closed. Problem is, to do it the other way would not allow your tablet to sleep. What you can do is install widget locker and set it to easy wake, allowing any hardware button to wake the tab, then as you open the cover, glance the volume down button. Not exactly instant, but it saves the power button which has been known to wear.