Interesting article re both amazon and Nook.

Discussion in 'Nook' started by crenita, Mar 30, 2011.

1. crenita

crenita Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color
  2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    This was very interesting and validated a lot of the thoughts I was having about the tablet market and Nook Color's place in it.

3. EpicTaco

EpicTaco Member

If they could make a 7" equivalent to NC with that free 3g for $300 or less... I'd be down :)

4. Candlestick

Candlestick Member

From watching the Kindle business - looks like Amazon wants to control the content of whatever device they create - in order to monetize an income stream. They may make a Nook Color like device that's tied to amazon content - with an app platform - but I don't see them putting an easily rootable device like the Nook Color out. Would definitely be interesting if they do though.

5. Cuzoe

Cuzoe Member

Tablet / Device:
    NookColor
    Absolutely an interesting article. I have no issue with alternate app stores like the new Amazon one. Is it just me or does this article sensationalize Google's control over Android? I've had my Nexus One since it's release and the wait for source code (and to a lesser extent OTAs) is always a long one, except that this time Google has officially given info on the delay, which they normally don't do.

But some of us have to remember when the Google Apps, Gmail, Market, Maps, etc were not separate apps but part of each Android version update. That situation I think was hostile to hardware makers because diverging meant no Gapps but also no new android versions. Now, hardware makers can diverge as they please with the most current android version. However, if they want the Gapps then they have to maintain some form of compatibility, and licensing. None of the Gapps were open source (to my knowledge) to begin with. How is Google wrong for mandating requirements to use them? If using these "core applications" as the article calls them is important to the user, then they need to buy a compliant device.

People already complain about fragmentation between official android versions. Some hardware makers, HTC, Samsung, Moto do their own thing with Android, and maintain Gapp compatibility, albeit at the expense of timely updates. A lot of us are android "power users" and we research compatibility problems to find solutions. The majority of users are not us, and allowing the official market on every android device, in my opinion, would have a detrimental effect on the Android brand. If (random person)'s (random brand) tablet doesn't run Angry Birds correctly due to a hardware change that company made, Google and Android take the hit. This "iron grip" affords some protection over that situation.

I'll probably need to edit this later, but it's 7 in the morning.

6. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    Cuzoe, that is probably why you will see Google's grip getting tighter. I wouldn't call it an iron grip now as the article does, more like one of only 4 or 5 fish in the pond (RIM, Apple, MS, HP/Palm). As that pond grows into a sea though, I would expect Google to start locking down what it wants its Android experience to be. If you want to go to somebody else fine, but you won't likely have the "pluses" that are tied to the Google version of android rather than whatever the offshoot offers. This should keep most companies from straying too far off the Google/Androidn path.

7. Stumblethru

Stumblethru Member

Tablet / Device:
    Rooted NookColor, 1.1 OS
    It seems to me as being more a choice between 2 models; Microsoft/Apple or Linux.