iPad 2 or Android - which app market is the best?

cetama

Mar 15, 2011
I am just thinking about to buy a tablet pc. I have no preference so far. The most interesting thing for me is the app market.

So the question is, is the amount of available tablet apps for android similar to the amount for the iPad? I mean apps which can handle the bigger display size of the tablet not only mobile phone apps which can run on the tablet.

Any Android user who can give me a hint?

Cheers,
vl950t

susaz

Mar 12, 2011
Unfortunately for me, Apple is still the best. There are thousands of apps, although I don´t like iTunes, specially if you have sensitive info you want to backup... No SD card!

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Amazons android market is suppose to over rule the original android market so judgment can't be justified just yet untill amazon gets in the game. (Also soon releasing their own android tablet)

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

droid2010

Aug 12, 2010
i will never buy ipad 2, i am a fans of android, ipad is my brother's favourite,i pick up his ipad sometime. Internet means free,share,flexible, so i like android.

cetama

Mar 15, 2011
As stated before the focus of my question is the android market not hardware or limitation in usage of the browser (like no flash etc.).

For me it seems the most apps in the android market are not for tablet pc's but for mobile phones - and this would be a killer argument for me.

Mar 8, 2011
As a developer, the Android market is best for us - and we have launched our (primarily tablet) App for Android only.

All credit to Apple for revolutionising the App game (Symbian Apps have been available for many years, but never took off). But it is worth bearing in mind the following:

Apple have very controlling attitude over their system, dictating what Apps are allowed to do and banning Apps which don't meet their own objectives. This can be off putting for developers like us. We have a Cloud app - it also runs in Java on desktops. Apple's controlling attitude means they are not very good at cross platform Cloud apps, as they like to tie users into their platform. As open systems are intrinsically more flexible, this is a long term Apple weakness once the market matures.

In reality, all popular Apps will be ported to Android. A port to Android is relatively easy, and there are now more Android phones than IOS ones. When everything works everywhere, Android will have an advantage. Historically walled gardens like Apple's have always collapsed over time. I expect at some point there will even be an automatic conversion program which allows Apple apps to run on Android.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab has led the way in high end Android tablets; now there are many coming out - big/small fast/slow cheap/expensive - one for everyone. The Android platform is following Apple, and is not far behind. This week Android will start supporting in-App purchases, for example. And the tablet is now making an appearance in business (5400% increase expected this year, way above the 200% for consumers). Here, price/functionality is more important than prestige.

Apple is not making friends amongst content owners - including newspapers. They are demanding web subscriptions must be available at the same price through the App store - and they take 30% of any income whether or not the content is viewed on an Apple. I think abuse of monopoly litigation is inevitable, and will not look good for Apple - the new Microsoft?

hazydave

Apr 3, 2011
For me it seems the most apps in the android market are not for tablet pc's but for mobile phones - and this would be a killer argument for me.

Apple certainly has more table-specific apps at the moment. But things change quickly... two years ago, the iPhone was king, now Android phones are dramatically outselling the iPhone. Even at Verizon, the new "Thunderbolt" alone is outselling the iPhone 4 right now (winter/spring are traditionally weak for the iPhone, since everyone KNOWS the new models come out in June).

The difference isn't as profound as it seems, though. For one, Apple's list of "tablet" apps actually include both actual iPad-specific apps, and "HD" apps designed for the iPhone 4's higher resolution screen.

On Android, the OS has pretty much always had to deal with multiple screen resolutions. So while you don't find many tablet-specific apps right now (Apple does have a year's lead here... only the Motorola Xoom has shipped with Honeycomb, and that looks to have been rushed a bit just to ensure it made it out by the iPad's first anniversary), there are plenty of apps that work just dandy on tablets, at full screen resolution.

The real hold-back on Android for tablets has been the lack of Android Market support. Google doesn't allow the Android Market to go on any device without a cellular modem. To an extent, the only functional difference between a PDA, a Smart Phone, and a tablet is that one thing: cellular modems. Everyone thought of the nVidia Tegra 2 as a tablet CPU, but it's showing up in phones. And there are already phones out with screen resolution higher than that of some tablets. So software-wise, there's no hard line between PDA/PMP (like the Archos Android devices that are similar to iPod Touch), Phone, and Tablet.

With the iPhone, every single application before the iPad came out was hard coded at 480x360 screen resolution. So there was zero chance of any existing apps working about as well as a tablet-specific app. And sure, sometimes an app should be tablet-specific. Other times... maybe not. I mean, Firefox runs just dandy on my tablet at full screen, and works pretty much the way I'd expect it to. I don't see any reason right now for this to chance into something else once Honeycomb is out. I think a big part of Honeycomb is OS-level stuff, not just apps, for dealing with the extra screen size and room (in most cases) of a tablet.

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
I have one IPAD2 and two Android tablets. IPAD2 for fun, creative and art stuffs (Apple's mark as always - school teachers demand to use it. my architect friend has to bring IPAD to meeting to show his creative design.....). Android for open platform, enterprise, cover all - mass markets.

Apple's app market has a lead. Just wait for a year or so to see the difference again. Android is for the mass market. I find HTC Flyer (Android cover fun, art, creativity, and enterprise...) that is coming soon is as good or better than IPAD2. I am willing to do a trade anyday. I saw on IPadnGravy's site that people are willing to buy IPAD2 3G for $1200 on EBAY auction. I will do it anyday. Hahaha.

Last edited: