Is 800 MHz 800 MHz?

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
What I'm really wondering is if the 800 MHz kernal that comes with CM7 is just as fast as Dalingrin's kernal when set to 800 MHz or is Dalingrin's better optomized etc?

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
What I'm really wondering is if the 800 MHz kernal that comes with CM7 is just as fast as Dalingrin's kernal when set to 800 MHz or is Dalingrin's better optomized etc?

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

I think the CM7 kernel is actually 925MHz and Dalingrin's kernel does have some advantages. The CM7 is based on Dalingrin's but isn't as up to date. That is because it is baked in and it is much easier for the new kernels to be updated rapidly on their own than a baked in one. if you are looking for every once of newness you should use the stand alone kernels as they are updated.

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Thanks for the info. I usually leave it at 800 for better battery life. I just updated CM7 via rom manager for the first time tonight and I need to grab the dalingrin kernal again. I just thought that since I leave it at 800 anyway that maybe I didn't need dalingrins kernel. I think ill grab it anyway...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yep, it isn't just about speed, there are other fixes in the newer kernels too. Sometimes the newest kernel might even be a step back but usually it is an improvement for one reason or another. Then at some point CM7 will pick up an updated kernel and bake it in and the cycle will continue :)

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
While it is true that higher clock speed might drain battery life faster than lower clock speed, the impact in this case is minimal - having it 800 MHz vs 1.3 GHz in on-demand mode provides you much better performance while not really impacting battery life that much - at the end of the day the screen is the biggest drain on battery

Thanks for the info. I usually leave it at 800 for better battery life. I just updated CM7 via rom manager for the first time tonight and I need to grab the dalingrin kernal again. I just thought that since I leave it at 800 anyway that maybe I didn't need dalingrins kernel. I think ill grab it anyway...

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Good to know about the clockspeed battery drain, I'll turn the wick up a bit then :). As for the screen, I already have it down to just a tick above the lowest setting :)

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
I always keep to lowest, nowadays I am more using it as ebook. Improves battery back up