Is GPS possible without internet?

Jan 30, 2012
Hi, I've tried searching the fora but drew a blank so I'm starting a thread - hope yous can help a newbie!?
I'm looking to get a 7" tab.
Torn between NATPC MS009S, A1CS, Lenovo (has GPS), Ainol Aurora.
For the tabs which don't list GPS, reviews on Amazon et al say GPS is possible with a dongle, but more technical fora suggest a- 2.3, 3.2 and 4.0 aren't configured to support GPS, so I don;t know what to believe, but thought if anyone knows yous will!!
Can any of the above (ex. Lenovo) support GPS, either with a dongle or app or whatever?
My other requirements are hi res screen (1024), IPS/Gorilla Glass, a- 3.2 or 4.0, and the ability to save webpages to read when out of wifi range (which seems a constant issue with many of these tabs). Clearly I'll have to compromise on something...
Over to you guys & gals
Thanks!

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Ok this is a yes and no question.
Any Android device that is GPS capable can do GPS without a data conection, however in doing this you need to have the maps loaded on to your device which requires either a app like Navagon USA or storing the maps from Google Navigator on to your device. They say there is a way to do this but I don't know how and I wish Google had a app that would download all of them to your/our device so we could do GPS without a data conection.

I like my Garmin but I like GN better.
What ever you do don't get a Kindle Fire for this, it is a fine device but it does not have GPS hardware in it so it is not capable even if you had the proper app installed or maps on your device.
I am not sure if the Nook has GPS hardware or not, or even how large the Nooks screen is. Those seem to be two very popular devices and I know the KF is a 7" device.
The member Idontknow seems to know quite a bit about the Nook so she might be able to help you better where it is concerned.
Anyway, best of luck in your search.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2012
GPS is absolutely fine without any internet connection. It does help get a satellite fix quicker as there are services which tell the system which satellites are overhead, but it is not essential.
Several apps use GPS offline, such as speedometers, geocaching and now even Google's API allows offline caching of map tiles, but you need the version of their maps that supports it. I've not tried it, but try under menu > settings > labs and look for something about pre-caching.

Good luck and enjoy (especially if its geocaching - a personal favourite).

ETA.
-
Sent from my transformer prime.